Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QSC K12 and Ksub Vs. Bose L1 Compact or L1 MII

Post Thanks / Like

QSC K12 and Ksub Vs. Bose L1 Compact or L1 MII

I've been a Bose user for nearly five years and have sworn by them, even defended against "Bose Bashers" numerous times. While I still like the sound of my Bose L1 MII's and L1 Compacts, I'm basically getting tired of carring 5-10 pieces of equipment, depending if I'm using 1 or 2 L1 MII's, in/out and setting it all up and taking it down. I do between 80-100 events per year, strictly mobile gigs, so that's a lot of setting up/tearing down 5-10 pieces of equipment at each event, plus my deck and DJP computer.

I'm at a tipping point right now and am thinking of making a switch to the QSC K12's with a Ksub. I've read numerous product reviews and have not read anything negative about them. They sound fantastic from what I've read and have seen on Youtube and are lightweight and portable. Carrying three pieces of equipment sure looks a lot easier than 5-10. Even if I got an extra Ksub, 4 pieces is still less than 10.

So, my question is, who here owns them? Where did you buy yours? I've seen prices as low as $679 with free shipping on ebay, but it states "open box", which tells me it's their way to get around the MAP price. I've seen a bundle at my local music store with 2 K12's, a Ksub, speaker stands, and cables for $2488. If you know of a better price and don't want to post it here, then PM me.

I'm in the "looking and exploring" phase now, but will be in the "buying" phase very soon.

2. Thanks donniles thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes own them and have used them many times in many different environments

1) You need to buy the KW181 not the Ksub. The KW181 has punch not just groan. Other than that 2 K12 + 1 KW181 will be an absolutely awesome setup for around 150 people on the dance floor. Another K Sub will take you to the 250 person mark.

2) I would buy new. I have a dealer in a special group within Guitar Center (its the group that provides wholesale pricing to nightclubs) who normally gives me about 20% off. PM me and i'll connect you with him.

Josh

4. Thanks adjtogo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 4 K12's and swear by them. Buy them from an authorized dealer. The 6 year warranty is awesome and i doubt i'll have to use it
    DJ Mad Maxx: Your Professional Wedding Disc Jockey
    Max Salada
    www.djmadmaxx.com
    www.your-wedding-dj.com

6. Thanks adjtogo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What add-on processing would make a K12 sound even better? Thus, BBE, Aphex, 1/3 bAnd EQ, DBX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owed the K-10's plus subs, with poles. I will tell you that the Bose is way quicker, easier, lighter to setup. It also fits in the car much nicer!
    Thanks,
    Justin

9. Thanks Jake Klein thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    QSCs K and KW series are great sounding, nice looking, compact boxes. I'm not so keen on the K-sub.
    There are better sounding subs (from QSC, Yorkville, JBL, EV etc). You'll find a lot of DJChat discussion on this topic.

The Ks sound pretty good as they are, but if you want some signal processing, a DBX Driverack-PX would offer Crossover, EQ, Limiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 2 K-sub 2 K12's for almost every gig, I do have 2 more K12's when I need to setup multiple rooms. I have never ran into a problem, people love the sound, and I can have all 4 speakers in a room and setup in 10 minutes. This is from the van to the space allotted, including console and all 4 speakers. The key is having your cables pre made.

On both the wedding front, and Sweet 16's, I have had nothing but compliments on the sound. I am probably going to get trashed for this. I am going to run 4 K12's and 4 K-subs for a Homecoming I have coming up. If I am not happy with the outcome, I will be upgrading to 2 KW18's.
    DJ Stevie Ray
    Stevie Ray Entertainment is the Premier Entertainment company in North East Pennsylvania.
    Blizzard Lighting LLC. Forum Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Have 2 k12's and 2 k-10's plus a k-sub. As others have mentioned I am also not to keen on the k-sub and have switched to an RCF-705a. Great low end and not too bulky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming from Bose, I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with the KSub bass. A buddy of mine owns a pair of KSubs, and we put them up against some Bose MB4 subs that I owned briefly. The MB4 subs were tighter, deeper and played louder.

Given the similarities between the MB4 sub and the "dual bass" configuration for L1 setups, you may find the KSub bass lacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my K12's, they sound great and are nice and clean. I do own both a Ksub and a KW181. The KW181 is about the same weight, and double the bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    I've been a Bose user for nearly five years and have sworn by them, even defended against "Bose Bashers" numerous times. While I still like the sound of my Bose L1 MII's and L1 Compacts, I'm basically getting tired of carring 5-10 pieces of equipment, depending if I'm using 1 or 2 L1 MII's, in/out and setting it all up and taking it down. I do between 80-100 events per year, strictly mobile gigs, so that's a lot of setting up/tearing down 5-10 pieces of equipment at each event, plus my deck and DJP computer.
    Really? I can carry (not that I need to, I use a cart) the two parts to the stick at once, two B1's at once and then the power stand. That's really 3 pieces as far as I'm concerned.

You're now talking about 2 speakers, a sub and 2 stands which is 5 pieces plus an extra power cable.

I can appreciate if you're just looking for something else other than the Bose, but if you're looking to save time/stress with setup or strike I'm not sure that's going to happen.
    Greg B.
    Greg Bedard DJ Entertainment
    Worcester, MA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djgregb View Post
    Really? I can carry (not that I need to, I use a cart) the two parts to the stick at once, two B1's at once and then the power stand. That's really 3 pieces as far as I'm concerned.

You're now talking about 2 speakers, a sub and 2 stands which is 5 pieces plus an extra power cable.

I can appreciate if you're just looking for something else other than the Bose, but if you're looking to save time/stress with setup or strike I'm not sure that's going to happen.
    Hey Greg,

Just looking at options right now. I also use a cart (R&R12), but it's all the pieces, 10, if I use two L1 MII's in a reception facility. That gets to be a lot of load in/out after a while. At last night's wedding, I used two L1 Compacts. They really weren't loud enough and I was only in a medium sized room. The groom kept telling me to turn it up, but when I did, the little red lights started dancing pretty good. I couldn't use one of my L1 MII's because the ceiling height where I set up was just barely over 6' tall. They had me put up on a perch landing. The dance floor was 12' below speaker height. Crazy, but that's what I had to deal with last night.

I had Mackie SRM 450's before going Bose.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Bose user I can appreciate what adjtgo is saying, to quicken set up I would consider passive instead of powererd
    JOE

Post Thanks / Like
    The k12 is warm, and have been told by a QSC designer/rep @ DJ Times Show NOT to use any processing. Check out the Yamaha DSR112 0r DSR115... http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...rs/dsr_series/ and the matching sub DSR118W 18" Active Subwoofer System. wow.. hear it for yourself...

Love them. Little more weight.

Had a ksub...it rolled over on me first gig..sent it to hell (craigslist).

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom Line- QSC will sound a little nicer (at the least the tops will) K-10 is definitely nicer sounding but I can set my Bose up much quicker than 2 tops, 2 subs.

By the time I run all the XLR's and power cables lifting heavy subs, etc. I can already be done with my sound check on the Bose.
    Thanks,
    Justin

20. Thanks Fever thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can run the Bose without the top part of the stick... for future reference.

Some are going to bash me for this and I don't want to get into a Bose war, but I only use 1 L1 model II for 95% of my events. The guys at Bose told me they do not get any louder with 2, you are just covering more of the room. Unless you can put them >25' apart, then you are actually being counterproductive. I've properly gained my system and can get plenty of volume out of it.

Setting up and breaking down 1 L1M2 and 2 B1s is pretty durn easy and fast, especially with my Carl O cables.
    Greg B.
    Greg Bedard DJ Entertainment
    Worcester, MA

22. Thanks Michael Reilly, DJ Zac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guys at Bose told me they do not get any louder with 2, you are just covering more of the room.
    Does anyone here use 1) Bose sys with self powered cabs for dance floor regularly? I was thing this would be optimal for increased dance floor presence at needed times, with a warmer sound at other times..

thoughts/comments

ps..is the Bose seriously compromised with only half a stick - half the sound...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^NO, use them correctly!
    Thanks,
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by partyhost View Post
    Does anyone here use 1) Bose sys with self powered cabs for dance floor regularly? I was thing this would be optimal for increased dance floor presence at needed times, with a warmer sound at other times..

thoughts/comments

ps..is the Bose seriously compromised with only half a stick - half the sound...
    Ive used the L1 M1 with other gear and in my opinion it was not worth the effort to use the Bose if I'm going to use the other gear.

For example I used dual 18"s with the L1's, verdict is its more convenient to set up standard speakers than to use the L1's.

Ive also used the B1's with regular speakers and because of the powerstand its more convenient to use a regular sub with amp.

Ive never used regular speakers to compliment the L1 and Ive never used L1's to compliment regular speakers because that would be to much of a hassle to mix and match. If L1's are not enough volume then use more L1's, same thing the other way around .
    JOE

Post Thanks / Like
    Some are going to bash me for this and I don't want to get into a Bose war, but I only use 1 L1...
    ...The guys at Bose told me they do not get any louder with 2, you are just covering more of the room....
    No matter what the system, add another box at the same power level and you should see +3 db. I know... things may vary with acoustics and stuff, but you dump a few hundred more watts in the room, and it's going to get louder.

No doubt that one box has ample power for most "wedding" situations, personally I prefer stereo sound. For me I think it's worth the extra gear. If you have a mixer with PAN controls it's easy to A/B compare, I think the difference is significant (as is the cost, no doubt).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast