Thread: My Freestyler DMX Sucks...What Else To Try?

Post Thanks / Like

My Freestyler DMX Sucks...What Else To Try?

I'm not sure what happened...I was using it for a day or so and then I would try to start it and I would get the startup splash and then nothing...the progress bar would stay at zero. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the latest version 3.4.4 and the same thing. I jumped on their forum and there seemed to all be having a similar problem.

Is there another free or cheap DMX program to try? I already have the Enttec Open DMX USB interface...

Thanks!
    Carlos Tres - Tres Sound Productions
    (610) 908-9017
    djlos@tresound.com - www.tresound.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm moving to ShowXpress pretty soon. Hearing great things about it and can get into it for about a third of the price of LJ.

Daniel Lozada
    South Mississippi DeeJay LLC
    http://www.southMSdj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The question is what DMX software can be used with this Enttec interface. I'm assuming that most programs out there use their own DMX hardware interface as a security dongle to launch the program so it would be NO GO with the Enttec. The beauty of this combination was the super cheap Enttec interface with the free Freestyler...now I would have to go back to square one and pony up $299 for one of the ADJ or Elation or whatever combination software/hardware solutions...?
    (610) 908-9017

Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge Freestyler is the only free/almost free software solution that works with the Enttec dongle. Are you sure it isn't just a bug they are working out? Can you downgrade back even further to a known working version? I'm not sure of my version at the moment, but I know it's working (Windows XP machine that never sees an internet connection btw).

Daniel Lozada
    South Mississippi DeeJay LLC
    http://www.southMSdj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There are other programs that work with the entec dongle, but they're nowhere near as good a s FS. I didn't understand masterpeace, but give it a try.

http://masterpeace.free.fr/

FS can be frustrating no doubt. Once you get it working right use the backup function to save the settings. And as Daniel pointed out you may want to try installing version 3.2

6. Thanks CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of our units have ShowXpress now. It may not be the cheapest, but it works perfect for us. I either go by or call and ask the venue - how big is the dance floor, how high is the ceiling and the room size is for the event; then open 3D in ShowXpress and program the entire light show except the the spots for the main door in about an hour, a week before the event at home. For one of my female DJ's I have ShowXpress programed with only about 10 buttons, like FAST SONG1 - SLOW SONG1 - AllWhite - All Strobe - Grand ENT - PINK SHOW - BLUE SHOW. She spins on the NS7 and wont take the time to do a lot of lighting combos. Even our event directors know how to click on shows during an event. I like it better than MYDMX and a couple others I've tried. I'm sure there is better, but I say ShowXpress is worth the cost of the Xpress 512 & Xpress 512 Plus. DJ Mikey Mike covers ShowXpress (sweetlight) on his youtube channel.
    Just your average run of the mill cheap cookie cutter DJ. [ADHD + Music = $$$$]
    www.partyallstarsdj.com

8. Thanks CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I unistalled 3.4.4 and reinstalled 3.3.2 and it seems to work OK now. Keep the ideas coming...

Question is again...will the Chauvet ShowXpress program work with the Enttec DMX interface?
    (610) 908-9017

Post Thanks / Like
    No. It will not work With Showxpress

Enlighten Designs - Custom Panels & Cables
    Carl E. Ondraka, DJ/MC/Designer/Beta Tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this link for all of the program the Enttec DMX Pro supports.

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main...304&show=links

Try this link for the Enttec DMX open

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main...303&show=links
    Last edited by condraka; 10-07-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added more

12. Thanks CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosT View Post
    Is there another free or cheap DMX program to try?
    Probably...but remember, "You will never harvest beneficially when you sow pitifully."
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

14. Thanks CarlosT, DJRob1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just spend some money and get something that is reliable
    Rob Canter

16. Thanks CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRob1 View Post
    Just spend some money and get something that is reliable
    Blasphemer!!!
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Post Thanks / Like
    I just upgraded to FS 3.4.4 and ran into a problem with my Q-Spot 260 fixture profile not loading. I ended up installing FS fresh on another box and the Fixture loaded fine. I tweaked the profile and resaved it and I was back in business.

FS can be a little frustrating like someone said prior but it never gives me a problem when it's running. The biggest problem for me is the forums aren't active enough to resolve a problem when I have one. Ultimately, I still haven't gotten the setup right for my needs. I'm doing to much clicking and sliding during a show. I could use a little training to properly deploy it correctly.
    Jay Szewczyk
    Dance Party DJ's
    yourperfectnight@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OP, if all you want is a relay pack...get a relay pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    No...I don't wanna just turn the things on and off...I want to sit there with the DMX chart and change the mode and other channel settings as the gig progresses. On the flipside, I'm not a DMX show programmer and I don't want to set up scenes or visualize anything...I just wanna fool with modes and settings live.

A hardware DMX board like the Chauvet Obey 10 would allow this but you just can't mix fixtures without programming chases/scenes/etc...tried it...didn't work...
    (610) 908-9017

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you own a ipad or itouch? You could do just what your saying with that. SynthFX has aa DMX program that acts like a interface to a DMX board. you can save scenes if you want and create hot buttons to quickly change between them.

I use this and it's great to walk around the room and change the lighting in the palm of my hand.

Website: http://synthe-fx.com/products/luminair $99.00 for luminair, $249 for Enttec ODE (Open DMX over Ethernet), $50.00 for a simple wireless router. This makes it wireless. Check it out.

22. Thanks Daniel Lozada, CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I searched around for awhile when freestyler wouldnt work with my martin fixtures correctly and all the other free programs just weren't very user friendly. Ended up with shoxpress at the end of my wasted hours and it really is worth it if you can afford it

24. Thanks CarlosT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep...seems like I'm heading that way...well it was only a $60 experiment so far with the Enttec DMX interface. I can recover, Rocky...thanks for your concern...
    (610) 908-9017

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos, I thought you got FS working... What happened?

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to put more than one fixture in and I'm not sure that I got them working right together. I was a little confused about punching in and punching outta a fixture's channel slider controls. What I wanted to do was to leave a fixture in running in a sound active and then have the other in a certain fixed RGB mode. Of course, it didn't help that I was having power plug issues with the first fixture in the DMX cable run and it was a block party and I didn't have a lotta time to set this up and I was drinking...and...and...
    (610) 908-9017