Thread: RGB vs. RGBA vs. RGBW vs. RGBAW????

Post Thanks / Like

RGB vs. RGBA vs. RGBW vs. RGBAW????

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to get into some flat par lighting. I've been doing quite a bit of research. I've found a model at a price I like. But I keep going back and forth on which color array to acquire. My biggest question has to do with whether or not it is worth the additional cost to upgrade to a RGBAW fixture? Is there any advantage to having white over amber? I see the additional 10 bucks per fixture being worth it for the amber or white, but are both necessary? Has anyone compared the 4 options?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on your needs for a wider color gamut. If you want truer whites, the you need rgbaw. If you just want flashing color, rgb is just fine.

I've seen a demo of the ETC 7 color led fixtures that can create any color that you can with a gel. Simply amazing. Of course, they are more than a couple hundred bucks each.

Post Thanks / Like
    White will give you a better white, as well as true pastel colors. Amber IMHO is more an important addition. Now it depends on the fixture. If you are talking 10mm diodes. Often when you add colors White/Amber they replace a certain number of R/G/B's. This will hurt the light output of your standard colors...ie. Red, Green, Blue, Purple, Pink. If your concern is better output, then RGB's (in 10mm) are a better bet.

Now if you are talking about Tri-color, Quad color, or 5 in 1 Diodes. Then the variables come down to the individual diodes watage output.

Tri-Color diodes greatly improve color mixing, reduce shadowing, and increase output over any of the 10mm options. Tri-Colors still have trouble with some of the ambers/yellows, and still cannot provide pastels.

Quad LED diodes again have all the bennefits of the Tri Colors plus the benefit of pastels and better white (when talking RGBW) and decent Amber pallet. or A decent White and vastly improved Amber Pallet. Quads will also be brighter than the 10mm options.

The downfall of Quads when comparing to Tri's is that if you are sticking to basic colors (RGB/Purple/Pink). If you are looking at the same number of diodes (usually 7,9, or 12 in most fixtures). Then the Tri colors are normally brighter on your primary colors. Most Tri color are 9 Watt Diodes, Whereas Quads are normally 10 Watt Diodes. This means that on the Tri Color your Red is 3 Watts*9Diodes=27 Watts of Red. If you have 9 Quad Diodes then you have 9Diodes*2.5Watts=22.5 Watts of Red.

So if you use Full red and Full blue to make a Purple then you have....
    Tri Color fixture 54 Watts of Purple color
    Quad Color fixture 45 Watts of Purple.

So in summary if a rich color pallet is important, then more LED colors = Better
    If total Output of primary Colors is important, Then RGB = Better
    DJ Stevie Ray
    Stevie Ray Entertainment is the Premier Entertainment company in North East Pennsylvania.
    Blizzard Lighting LLC. Forum Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you are interested, they are pretty cool lights.

http://www.djchat.com/showthread.php?t=119340

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex - I moved from RGB fixtures to RGBA Pucks and have been very pleased.

Daniel Lozada
    South Mississippi DeeJay LLC
    http://www.southMSdj.com