Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What other line dancing songs like Electric Slide, ChaCha Slide, Chick'n Dance, YMCA?

Post Thanks / Like

What other line dancing songs like Electric Slide, ChaCha Slide, Chick'n Dance, YMCA?

My very first gig was my cousin's New Year's Party. My toughest audience on the dance floor was my sister-in-law. After exhausting the few line dancing songs I had she wanted more. I was like, "there's more?!?"

So now my next gig is her 50th birthday this weekend at a restaurant. I need to get more line dancing and cha cha songs.

HELP!!

Please recommend some titles.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wobble, Cupid Shuffle, Boot Scootin Boogie, Cotten Eyed Joe

These are some I can think of

Post Thanks / Like
    Cupid Shuffle, Cotton Eyed Joe, Hokey Pokey, the twist (sort of), Hang On Sloopy.
    DJ Stevie Ray
    Stevie Ray Entertainment is the Premier Entertainment company in North East Pennsylvania.
    Blizzard Lighting LLC. Forum Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan hit reply the a second earlier.
    DJ Stevie Ray
    Stevie Ray Entertainment is the Premier Entertainment company in North East Pennsylvania.
    Blizzard Lighting LLC. Forum Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Really?? These types of songs are used to bring people to the floor that would not normally dance and really only when they're requested or can't think of anything else to throw down.

It looks like you're using them as a crutch because of a lack of musical depth. Just my impression.

For a 50th birthday, of course depending on a lot of other factors, you could use so 70's, 80's & 90's dance songs. Find out what music she was listening to in High School. She might of been a big DEVO fan, Energy Dome and everyting, or walked around with a lace Madonna Glove.

Put the crutches away and do the work.

Respectfully,

6. Thanks blur2011, djmunster, bobbycdj, DJTKO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cupid Shuffle, Cotton Eye Joe, Macarena, Boot Scootin' Boogie, One Step Foward Two Steps Back, Crank That, Wobble, Teach Me How To Dougie, Hokey Pokey, Com' On Ride The Train, The Dip, The Perculator.

Next helper?
    Earl & Kelley Mangrum
    PURE ENERGY PRODUCTIONS
    314-537-2634

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djstevieray View Post
    Dan hit reply the a second earlier.
    He's just trying to show off Stevie
    Earl & Kelley Mangrum
    PURE ENERGY PRODUCTIONS
    314-537-2634

Post Thanks / Like
    Mississippi Cha Cha Slide, Booty Call, Chaka Kahn - I Want
    Martelle Pitts Owner/DJ
    DJ TKO Entertainment, Serving the Tri-State Area since 2002

10. Thanks DJCyRo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Stroll, The Locomotion, Space Jam, Watermelon Crawl, Jump Around,
    Earl & Kelley Mangrum
    PURE ENERGY PRODUCTIONS
    314-537-2634

Post Thanks / Like
    C'mon Ride The Train and do a bunch of those stupid dance moves like The Lawn Mower.

Apache, Conga Line, Limbo. How cheesy you want to get? lol
    Hampton Thomas
    Special Occasions Entertainment
    hampton@specialoccasionsdj.com
    www.specialoccasionsdj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    On the 29th of November you told us you bought your first piece of gear at a Black Friday sale. This was followed by a few compilation CDs that you purchased...

I'm normally a bit easy on new DJs that ask for help, but you have clearly jumped into the deep end without the floaties. I hope these are not paid gigs, and that you were forthcoming with your utter lack of experience and knowledge about how to DJ and MC a party.
    Ross Anderson | Music Consultant

"Playing music is easy, keeping people happy is not."
    A happy associate of Chris Laich Music Services

14. Thanks djdons, partiesound, djqwik, DJTKO, arolon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the bikers shuffle & teach me how to wobble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDJBuddy View Post
    On the 29th of November you told us you bought your first piece of gear at a Black Friday sale. This was followed by a few compilation CDs that you purchased...

I'm normally a bit easy on new DJs that ask for help, but you have clearly jumped into the deep end without the floaties. I hope these are not paid gigs, and that you were forthcoming with your utter lack of experience and knowledge about how to DJ and MC a party.
    From my first post on djchat:

I'll be doing this as a hobby and eventually providing music for family events.
    From my first post on the thread:

My very first gig was my cousin's New Year's Party. My toughest audience on the dance floor was my sister-in-law. After exhausting the few line dancing songs I had she wanted more. I was like, "there's more?!?"

So now my next gig is her 50th birthday this weekend at a restaurant. I need to get more line dancing and cha cha songs.
    I'm pretty forthcoming.

Thanks to all that offered advice on the original question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by poker View Post
    From my first post on djchat:

From my first post on the thread:

I'm pretty forthcoming.

Thanks to all that offered advice on the original question.
    Forgive me if I didn't perceive the 30 days you spent going from your first baby step to being a DJ, into performing "family events" on NYE a a lot of "hobbyist DJ" time. I'm hardly concerned about you being forthcoming on this board, its very easy for seasoned DJs to understand where your knowledge and experience base lies. What I was referencing is how forthcoming you are with your clients/family that you've never done this before.

18. Thanks partiesound thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDJBuddy View Post
    Forgive me if I didn't perceive the 30 days you spent going from your first baby step to being a DJ, into performing "family events" on NYE a a lot of "hobbyist DJ" time. I'm hardly concerned about you being forthcoming on this board, its very easy for seasoned DJs to understand where your knowledge and experience base lies. What I was referencing is how forthcoming you are with your clients/family that you've never done this before.
    I'm forthcoming here and with family. My family know I go through hobbies like {place metaphor here}. I'm sickly impulsive.

20. Thanks Balanced Line, Cap thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poker, I still vividly remember my first "gig" (May 1978) and was less prepared than you were. There was no internet, no CDs, no cell phones, no networking and perhaps only two or three local radio DJs doing school dances when I started. I thank the Lord for that. It forced me to be self-creative, self-reliant, nothing to compare anything to, so I shot the moon blindly. No guts, no glory.

As a word of friendly advice, stay off the DJ sites and develop your own schtick. Once you get the hang of it, your own style, and get some self built confidence, the bullies here might leave you alone (and NEVER mention Bose no matter how wildly successful you become).

Good luck, lil' bucko!
    Cap Capello, Musical Host
    Celebrating 35 Years Of Mobile DJ Performance Passion
    Bose L1 Family of Products
    (518) 399-7451 EDT
    http://www.imadj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJTKO View Post
    … Chaka Khan - I Want
    i don't know about this one—is the name of the dance that goes with this song also called "i want"?

i waited almost a year for "the wobble" to hit here and i'm still waiting for "go hard or go home" (to "just fine" by mary j blige) to catch on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the late 80's "Pink Cadillac" by Natalie Cole was very popular in the line dance crave of the day. I was working in a club at the time & after about 5 times a night, 5 nights a week, for 4 or 5 years... I was soooo sick of it. As an alternate, I played an oldie "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens. Its a little slower & people didn't like it as well but I got to where I really hated Pink Cadillac so they had to take what they could get.

Now, in defense of Poker.... hey, we all started somewhere. The best way to learn to swim is to jump in & do what you gotta do. While I wouldn't advise trial & error at a paying gig such as a strangers wedding for hire, I don't see a problem with getting some much needed OJT at a free gig for family.

I got started in live small market country radio in 1982. After 2 weeks of training on a live board, I took the reins on late night live radio. I make a few mistakes... well probably, a lot of mistakes, but eventually, I was working morning drive. I had never been a DJ... period. I don't know if Poker has any DJ experience but, again, we all gotta start somewhere. Personally, I don't see a problem with getting some hands on OJT with family that knows his situation.

JMHO
    How should I know? Ask the client!

24. Thanks PURESOUND1, poker thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch, I think Cap just called me a bully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arolon View Post
    Really?? These types of songs are used to bring people to the floor that would not normally dance and really only when they're requested or can't think of anything else to throw down.

It looks like you're using them as a crutch because of a lack of musical depth. Just my impression.
    Did you not read's Poker's comment that his sister-in-law wanted more? Maybe we need to educate HER to refrain from asking for these these fun songs that often DO get the partiers packing the floor. It seems that every single event I do, be it a wedding, birthday party, themed party, etc., I ALWAYS get requests for these line dances. Most popular on the MS Coast right now for me is the "Wobble" but I still get the "Electric Slide" "Cha Cha Slide" and the occasional "Macarena" requests.

For the adult crowds, though, my biggest floor filler as the party starts are classic slow songs! :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast