Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best photo booth software?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best photo booth software?

I'm getting married this summer, and the one must have thing on my bride's wish list for the reception was a photo booth. I've priced photo booths for my reception and have found they run about $1,000 here.

After doing a little research, I've found I could build one for not much more money, if I skimp on the printer. I'll probably buy two Epson Picturemate printers, and use Windows print pooling to split the load between them rather than going with a commercial photo printer.

I'm curious to know if anyone has an opinion on the photo booth software by Breeze Systems - http://www.breezesys.com/Photobooth/index.htm. I would be buying either the DSLR version for Canon or Nikon.

If anyone has other software recommendations, I'd love to hear those too.

I'm doing this for personal use, not heavy commercial use. It will be used for my reception, and my sister's reception which is also this summer. I'm not particularly interested in getting into the photo booth business. Just looking forward to the project, and looking forward to upgrading my circa 2005 DSLR to a newer model. (The Nikon D50 I have doesn't have live view capability, so it won't work.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Breeze with a Canon Powershot. Not a single software issue yet (knock on wood). I will say it's not as easy to configure as I would like but still, rock-solid once you get it setup.

3. Thanks RadioActive Rob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We use PSRemote by Breeze Systems and it works great. Give me a call if you get it and need help with configuring. Other programs like photoboof still need PSremote to run the camera so you're gonna buy it anyway. Not sure about the Epson you mentioned but stick with Dye-Sub printers. The Canon Selphy is decent, slow, but the prints are nice.
    <insert clever saying here>
    Adam Haro
    http://haroent.com

5. Thanks RadioActive Rob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely dont skimp on the printer.

7. Thanks Matt W thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

I ended up buying a Nikon D5100 and I'm playing with the demo of NKRemote right now. Compared to the broadcast automation software I deal with at my day job, setting this up is a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

Keep us in the loop on the breeze software... As far as printers go, I'd possibly shell out a few bucks for a "real" printer... Later on down the road, you will be able to use this as a tool for your business...
    George T. Penn AKA "DJ Scramble"
    Office 866-751-8516 Cell 509-308-6631
    Mon - Wed, 10:00am - 10:00pm PST, Thur, Fri, & Sun 11:00AM - 5:00PM PST

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get refurb Kodak 6800 dye-subs for $400. We use these for our booths but they work great. Probably more than you want to spend but pretty reasonable for an industrial strength solution.
    <insert clever saying here>
    Adam Haro
    http://haroent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Inkjet photos bleed when wet (think of sweat on a glass) I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for getting ink on the brides dress or any one elses for the matter. Buy a dye sub printer. It is the only choice in my mind.
    I have five photobooths and they all have dye subs.
    Dean, Niagara Premier DJs

12. Thanks shasha1, Paige Vanderpool, Lou D thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by niagprem View Post
    Inkjet photos bleed when wet (think of sweat on a glass) I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for getting ink on the brides dress or any one elses for the matter. Buy a dye sub printer. It is the only choice in my mind.
    I have five photobooths and they all have dye subs.
    Dean, Niagara Premier DJs
    I was thinking of the Canon Selphy, which is a small 4x6 dye sub printer. Ultimately went another route... See next post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how the electronics of the booth turned out:

The printer is a DNP DS-RX1, which with its case set me back about $900, but knocks 4x6 print cost down to 10 cents each. If I do 2x6 strips, it's half that.

After some testing, I'm probably going to reverse the arrangement of the rack panels and put the monitor on bottom and the camera on top in the rack.

Now I'm just waiting for the pipe and drape to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    And here's a shot of what's inside:

I went with a USB VGA adaptor for the monitor inside the booth so I could have a one wire connection to the controlling PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

The lens mount looks pretty "sanno..." How did you do that???

That of course would be the lens out on the rack pannel...

Also, did you opt for the touch screen???
    Last edited by djscramble; 03-23-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: a little clarification

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you doing for lights/flash?
    Hampton Thomas
    Special Occasions Entertainment
    hampton@specialoccasionsdj.com
    www.specialoccasionsdj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djscramble View Post
    Rob,

The lens mount looks pretty "sanno..." How did you do that???

That of course would be the lens out on the rack pannel...
    The camera is mounted on an upside-down rack shelf screwed to the rear rack rails. The hole for the lens was made with a 3 1/4" hole saw. You'll never believe what the rubber trim ring around the lens is - part of a sink stopper for a kitchen sink. http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Danc...r-5544077.html The hard plastic part in the middle just pops out, and the hole left behind is just slightly bigger than the end of a Nikon 18-55 lens. I was wandering around Home Depot looking for a way to make the hole the lens pops out of look neat, and was actually considering the trim ring for a flush mount ceiling lighting fixture when I came across this.

Also, did you opt for the touch screen???
    Hell to the no! I wanted something much more foolproof than that. I do quite a bit of work with touch screens at work, and they all have their quirks. IMO, capacitive touch screens work best and are the most durable, but they can not be operated by anyone wearing gloves or women with long nails.

Resistive touch screens basically have a thin grid overlaid on the screen and can be operated by people wearing gloves, or with nails, or operated with a pencil, etc. The problem is they're not especially durable.

You push the button to operate this booth. I may add more buttons later to switch to black and white or sepia mode.

19. Thanks djscramble thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djsarge View Post
    What are you doing for lights/flash?
    Haven't decided yet... Leaning toward some sort of photographic LED array.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive Rob View Post
    The camera is mounted on an upside-down rack shelf screwed to the rear rack rails. The hole for the lens was made with a 3 1/4" hole saw. You'll never believe what the rubber trim ring around the lens is - part of a sink stopper for a kitchen sink. http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Danc...r-5544077.html The hard plastic part in the middle just pops out, and the hole left behind is just slightly bigger than the end of a Nikon 18-55 lens. I was wandering around Home Depot looking for a way to make the hole the lens pops out of look neat, and was actually considering the trim ring for a flush mount ceiling lighting fixture when I came across this.

Very nice!!! They that neccessity is the mother f'er of invention... Great repurposing sir!!!

Hell to the no! I wanted something much more foolproof than that. I do quite a bit of work with touch screens at work, and they all have their quirks. IMO, capacitive touch screens work best and are the most durable, but they can not be operated by anyone wearing gloves or women with long nails.

Resistive touch screens basically have a thin grid overlaid on the screen and can be operated by people wearing gloves, or with nails, or operated with a pencil, etc. The problem is they're not especially durable.

You push the button to operate this booth. I may add more buttons later to switch to black and white or sepia mode.

The K.I.S.S. principal in action... Love it... Also some very strong selling points for going with the button design... Two great F.A.B. statements!!!
    Thank you sir!!!

22. Thanks RadioActive Rob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir!!!
    You're welcome!

Touch screens have a bit of "gee whiz" factor to them, but they're far from foolproof. If it's too hot, they don't work properly. If it's too cold, they don't work properly. If someone sneezes and little droplets end up on the screen, they don't work properly. There's a lot that can go wrong with them!

24. Thanks djscramble thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I just bought a use ELO for mine. Oh well.
    Hampton Thomas
    Special Occasions Entertainment
    hampton@specialoccasionsdj.com
    www.specialoccasionsdj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djsarge View Post
    And I just bought a use ELO for mine. Oh well.
    Make sure you have the driver install program handy on the PC. The ELOs have a tendency to mysteriously stop responding for no apparent reason. Reinstall the driver to bring it back to life.

For anyone going the touchscreen route, I've found the Planar brand to be the least problematic.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok guys...very deep in the booth thing. The DNP printer is beyond awesome. Best up and coming software... http://www.allenchristopher.com/photo-booth.html

try this:

http://www.photoboothtalk.com/forum/...8e90dd4311e21b

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast