Thread: Chauvet 4-bar

Post Thanks / Like

Chauvet 4-bar

Hello all new to the forum here,hope someone can help. I have Chauvet 4-bar light system and I'm trying to program it to run off a dmx controller.Anyone have any experience with these lights? The controller i'm trying to use is an American DJ RGB 3C. It's a 3 channel controller with multiple auto programs,9 static colors, and RGB mixing. And the light bar is a 15 channel.Will this configuration work properly? The instructions for the lights are very vague at best,and Chauvets tech support wouldn't got too deep into the programming with me.Any help would be great,I'm new to dmx too my old rig was old analog par cans

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it will not work properly. You will only be able to control the first three channels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Chauvet 4 bar needs 15 channels, so you would need something like a chauvet Obey 10, which controls up to 16 channels. So with your controller, the best you can do is Channel 1 ( control operating, which means you should be able to access the auto programs and/ or sound activate it) Channel 2 ( master Dimmer ) and Channel 3 (Strobe). Without the extra Channels you will not be able to go into RGB mode and make custom colors. Make sure you have set the lights to fixture 1 and you should be to access (very limited) your lights.
    Last edited by grjmmr; 08-03-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: wrong number for the Obey

Post Thanks / Like
    We have the 4-bar Flex and we use the ENTTEC Open DMX USB and Freestyler. We are using an older Acer netbook that my wife bought 3 years ago with Win XP. My son programed several diffent themes/chases that works great. Like any other DMX software, you will want to program your lights ahead of time, but you can change them on the fly at your event if you want or set them for their internal programs.

We played around with an Chauvet Obey 40, but found it more difficult to program. We only use the Obey 40 for uplighting when we want to have changing colors for uplight instead of static.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grjmmr View Post
    The Chauvet 4 bar needs 15 channels, so you would need something like a chauvet Obey 10, which controls up to 16 channels. So with your controller, the best you can do is Channel 1 ( control operating, which means you should be able to access the auto programs and/ or sound activate it) Channel 2 ( master Dimmer ) and Channel 3 (Strobe). Without the extra Channels you will not be able to go into RGB mode and make custom colors. Make sure you have set the lights to fixture 1 and you should be to access (very limited) your lights.
    Actually, I believe the master dimmer and strobe capability only works in RGB mode, which won't work (other than the default color, which I believe is white) as you won't be able to set a color. So Roger will be limited to Auto Programs and Sound Active without jumping to the Obey 10/40/70 or equivalent