Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you use a 6ft table...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up If you use a 6ft table...

If you use a 6ft table, here's a deal for you. Costco has table cloth with attached skirt for $29.99 on sale in all colors.

http://www.costco.com/The-Folding-Ta...&storeId=10301
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright © 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sid. I personally can't remember the last time I did a gig that they didn't already have table skirting however. Do other Djs run into this a lot?
    Matt Moore (Owner/Operator)
    Advent Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Mo View Post
    Thanks Sid. I personally can't remember the last time I did a gig that they didn't already have table skirting however. Do other Djs run into this a lot?
    Depends...on the deeeeeeeeejay!

In the last 20+ years I have never "run into" this issue...I am always prepare for and know about it and the primary reason I know is not special or intuitive, I simply ask in advance and then I know.

I used to "run into" alot of issues but that was then..."I'm ovuh here nah!" - w/ apologies to A. D. Clay.

P.S. I have seen the referenced table cloth...it is, and not by much, sufficient. There are substantially better looking, more durable and reliable table cover available.
    Last edited by djrox; 07-30-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

4. Thanks djshawn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought one like this and it will replace the black tablecloth I bought at Goodwill years ago. The need to supply a table happens once in a while, and I hate having a shabby looking setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

6. Thanks djmadmaxx, camplg, partiesound thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few venues that seem to take their sweet time getting my table, even though I ask for one ahead of time. I bring my own table and a black spandex for these particular venues. I might pick up one of the white ones from Costco. That's the perfect price for something I'll probably use twice a year. Thanks for posting!

8. Thanks DJ VincePrince, Paige Vanderpool thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like nice fabric Sid.

To eliminate the worries. We bring our own, we have several in various colors. Some of the questions we ask on our planner are: What are your wedding colors? Do you have a preference for the linen/skirting color on the DJ table we bring or will the venue be providing such?
    Simply a professional DJ/MC making events more memorable.

10. Thanks Paige Vanderpool thanked for this post
    Wichita Falls, Tx. aka Hooterville...set your
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always carry my own table and cloth. Never know when I might need it.
    Facts About Joe Martin
    He's The Guy On Facebook That Has ZERO Friends
    He Never Sent Or Received A Text

12. Thanks DJ VincePrince, sonic-vision, djrox thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone think that a full facade is a better look? I think it also serves as barrier from guests. I have a plain black one.
    facade.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing I don't see - is whether it carries an IFR rating?

Otherwise, looks like a nice option.
    Joe Staniszewski
    JBS Entertainment
    www.JBSEntertainment.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Does anyone think that a full facade is a better look? I think it also serves as barrier from guests. I have a plain black one.
    facade.jpg
    I think a facade is a wayyyy better look than a table cloth

16. Thanks Goldy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the second house provided table collapsed on me 15 years ago, I have used only mine. I HATE being dependent on any other vendor that impacts my ability to perform. Still has to be spelled out in contract but nonetheless, self sufficiency is the mother of "just the DJ" prevention.

Purchased on recommendation from a friend, I bought three (two for standard set up behind a facade; one for ceremony covered by black scrim):

Husky X-Workhorse Workbench
    huskyworktable.jpg

I think the black table cover/skirt combo in this thread might work great should I ever have the need to put all three side by side. Worth the try!
    Cap Capello, Musical Host
    Celebrating 35 Years Of Mobile DJ Performance Passion
    Bose L1 Family of Products
    (518) 399-7451 EDT
    http://www.imadj.com

Post Thanks / Like
    good find, but I have never ever had to use one. There should be no reason a venue or catering company could not provide one for you. I always call head of time to see who is providing the table, and I let them know it must be setup when we arrive.

I absolutely hate the way facade's look. You cannot see the DJ equipment, and it looks as if the DJ is doing nothing but using a computer. I like to show off mixing.

My favorite look of all is the Odyssey table case thing. I forgot the model but basically your coffin sits on a case which is a table too, and there is tons of hidden room for cable management

Looks extremely clean, but is a pain to move around and store.
    Thanks,
    Justin

19. Thanks andywilson thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my higher end venues they provide tables and covers. But I do weddings in other venues also, VFW types, barns, tents and other types that are really nice but the b/g have to rent the table clothes from an outside company. I have a table and cover of my own in these cases. I use a six foot table and cover from DJ Skirts, I like to hide some of my cases under the table. Been using my cover from DJ skirts for 10 years now, I have both black and white, rarely use the white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    good find, but I have never ever had to use one. There should be no reason a venue or catering company could not provide one for you. I always call head of time to see who is providing the table, and I let them know it must be setup when we arrive.

I absolutely hate the way facade's look. You cannot see the DJ equipment, and it looks as if the DJ is doing nothing but using a computer. I like to show off mixing.

My favorite look of all is the Odyssey table case thing. I forgot the model but basically your coffin sits on a case which is a table too, and there is tons of hidden room for cable management

Looks extremely clean, but is a pain to move around and store.
    I don't like the façade look either. Table with a color matched linen/skirt (to keep the room uniform) is on my contract. As a backup I always bring a 6 foot table with white and black clothes but rarely need them. I want people to see me performing, dancing and entertaining, not just some ones head or a chair sitter which I refuse to be when the music is on.

I also feel a colorful lit-up façade draws too much attention to the DJ, it's not your day or party, it's theirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the question of standing out vs. blending in, I think back to the first time I know I was listening to a DJ not on the radio. It was in a club and damn I wish I knew what the sound system was and who did the install. Anyway, I didn't appreciate the DJ at the time. I was one of those guys wondering how the eff we went from Pet Shop Boys to Duran Duran without any gap and with it sounding like one continuous song. BUT, I don't remember seeing the DJ booth. I know a wedding is a different situation, but I tend to go for the blend in approach for that reason. I think actually seeing the DJ acting like an entertainer would have detracted from what I was there to do, dance and hear some of my favorite songs on an incredible sound system. If I could go back in time and visit the club now, I would be VERY interested in the DJ and would appreciate the mixing skills he or she possessed, but I know that is only because I'm a DJ -- or if I'm really honest with myself, an aspiring DJ.

For those in Sacramento in the late 80's, the club was Confetti's across from Arden Fair.

23. Thanks Goldy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ampnation;1332892] I think actually seeing the DJ acting like an entertainer would have detracted from what I was there to do, dance and hear some of my favorite songs on an incredible sound system.

As a DJ at a wedding I would never want to be the center of attention and take away from the Bride & Groom's special day.
    Of course I disagree with RockingDJ's statement "I want people to see me performing, dancing and entertaining"
    Goldy

Post Thanks / Like
    I want people to see me performing, dancing and entertaining, not just some ones head or a chair sitter which I refuse to be when the music is on.

I also feel a colorful lit-up façade draws too much attention to the DJ, it's not your day or party, it's theirs.

RockingDJ, with your above two statements you contradict yourself you need to rethink; It's very comical !!!
    Goldy

26. Thanks etdj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not really about being center of attention. I just think that covering up your tables is weird. It is like a caricature artist covering up their booth until the pic is done. It is fun and exciting to see how he or she gets to the final product.

I like people to see me in the mix, not a huge facade, colored or not!
    Thanks,
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    The point is the façade is lit up all night from the start to end. It draws attention to the DJ not the B & G. Whereas the DJ entertainer comes alive in a tasteful manner when the party (dancing) starts and for the key announcements. It helps keep the party going. Now if the façade lights up and flashes at this time (during dancing, just like when the dance floor lighting goes on), then I say the facade is now entertaining and not distracting. Read that above a few times, it will sink in if you are a DJ doesn't just push play.

Timing is the key! Both are good when implemented at the right time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rocking,
    Get your eyes checked out and you'll see the photo I posted in this thread. The facade is plain black no lights. I don't need to re-read you need to take a better look pal.
    Goldy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast