Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ThumbTack.com - Leads for about $8 per

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad Thumbtack is working out for you, Tracy, but I'm done and out. Sorry. Not my cup of tea. I get plenty of referrals from previous clients and other wedding vendors. I just thought I'd try Thumbtack one more time to pick up an extra gig here and there, but obviously, that didn't happen. I'm done, but glad it works for you.

2. Thanks rockingdj, Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    I'm glad Thumbtack is working out for you, Tracy, but I'm done and out. Sorry. Not my cup of tea. I get plenty of referrals from previous clients and other wedding vendors. I just thought I'd try Thumbtack one more time to pick up an extra gig here and there, but obviously, that didn't happen. I'm done, but glad it works for you.
    There may be some legitimate leads on Thumbtack but, there is a lot of scamming as well.

The number of leads in a given area often greatly exceed the historically known business in those same areas. That means a lot of leads are coming from something other than actual potential customers.

The Thumbtack process lends itself quite nicely to people sitting in cubicles and generating fake leads for the purpose of selling credits. It also lends itself nicely to window-shoppers, other vendors, or anyone who simply wants to generate information and responses about a given field or area. The likelihood of this being the case is quite high and reflected in the level of indecision and ambiguity most leads contain.

It has not been my experience in the real world that customers are this ignorant or undecided about their own event plans. Such vagueries are however, quite common characteristics of phony customers who have some other agenda in mind rather than an actual purchase.

4. Thanks adjtogo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just sayin>>>> If a DJ has to rely on Thumbtack and other pay for leads sites for steady business, perhaps their market appeal is not so great. If one is a popular DJ in their respective market, there's not much need for all of the paid for stuff to keep one busy.
    Simply a professional DJ/MC making events more memorable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thumbtack is too risky and there are too many tire kickers asking for a quote. If you are to try it don't respond to sweet 16 parties and be skeptical of school dances. I had a kid ask for a quote and thumbtack will not refund because the person responded back to me. You have to be very selective on sending a quote like everyone said it's a low amount that people want. In the Cleveland/Pittsburgh are they are looking for 400.00 weddings for 4 hours. If you get someone that states their budget is 800.00 - 1000.00 I think that is made up.

7. Thanks rockingdj, Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Just sayin>>>> If a DJ has to rely on Thumbtack and other pay for leads sites for steady business, perhaps their market appeal is not so great. If one is a popular DJ in their respective market, there's not much need for all of the paid for stuff to keep one busy.
    I consider myself a so called popular DJ in my area, but the last couple of years have been tough. Things are looking better this year, I've tried Thumbtack as I said. They don't care or understand the business part of the DJ.

9. Thanks rockingdj, adjtogo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just sent an email to Thumbtack in regards to losing credits due to a child submitting a quote. I'm waiting on their response, I'll update everyone if I hear back from them.

11. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie66 View Post
    I just sent an email to Thumbtack in regards to losing credits due to a child submitting a quote. I'm waiting on their response, I'll update everyone if I hear back from them.
    Maybe he was pricing other Djs for his daddy that's a DJ.
    Simply a professional DJ/MC making events more memorable.

13. Thanks stuie66 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on trying to get a refund. Usually, if you bid, it's your loss, unless the customer doesn't view your bid after 48 hours.

15. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just had an issue with Thumbtack over a public question that I asked. The potential client stated there would be 500-600 guest with the event being indoors and in a certain town that I am very familiar with. Knowing the venues, the largest venue will only hold 300 guest, I asked which venue the event was being held. Thumbtack deleted the question, stating it was not within the guidelines of public questions. So, I went back and asked if the venue was in xxx town. Thumbtack also deleted this question as not being within the guidelines of public questions. I responded back stating there was something suspicious about the request and I would not quote unless I could get more clarification. Thumbtack waited three days to respond back and I could no longer provide a quote. No credits used by me and future money to thumbtack being lost over vague policies.
    Duane Hendrickson
    e4 Pro Sound
    www.e4prosound.com
    duane@e4prosound.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thumbtack has deleted nearly every question I have posed. And I have seen some questionable postings where literally after submitting my quote, 5 minutes later the gig was cancelled. Still waiting for a refund on that but likely will never see that.

18. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CL >inland empire >all gigs >event gigs
    reply below
    x prohibited[?]

Posted: 28 days ago
    Any DJs, Photographers, Caterers or etc need work??? (Everywhere)
    craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap
    If you are serious about making some money and need referrals, check out this link! http://www.thumbtack.com/welcome?refer=HUAPWg$w:GOYgQ

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
    Compensation: no pay

post id: 4279154605

posted: 28 days ago

updated: 2 days ago

email to friend

♥ best of

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
    other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

2014 craigslist
    help
    safety
    privacy
    feedback
    cl jobs
    terms
    about
    mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had that same problem. A bride submitted a lead and said the ceremony and reception were going to be at the same location. I submitted a question asking it the ceremony was outside and the reception inside. Thumbtack, as usual, deleted my question three days later, telling me it was out of their guidelines as well. I emailed Thumbtack back and told them that I needed to know before I could submit a bid, as I charge extra for the ceremony being outside. They never responded. Like I said, I gave them a two week trial recently, and all they did was suck me dry out of my $34.99. I bid on what looked like good legitimate leads, however, I am really questioning how many leads are legitimiate through Thumbtack.

21. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been following this thread and like to see the discussion going on about Thumbtack.com. I too was skeptical but really feel like I've gotten some decent business from them. That being said, I was starting to see some canceled jobs shortly after I bid a quote. It didn't add up so I did some investigating.

Some of the schools and other organized events I was able to track down the person who submitted the quote and verified they were a real person. Now that being said, if they really wanted to fake a quote, I don't think they would go through the hassle of actually using someones name that exists from that school or organization.

I cannot comment on weddings as I haven't really bid any of them, and it would be difficult to track a bride and groom down based on first name, last initial, and location.

I tend to sway towards optimism. I will trust you as long as you don't screw up and lose my trust. I haven't been screwed by thumbtack yet, and I've address my concerns with support. I might not have gotten back the response I was looking for (customer right all the time... YEA RIGHT!) but it was a circumstance that was understandable from a business perspective.

Anyway I am done ranting.... Long night with my day job, and not enough caffeine!!

-josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Waste of money. It's no better than eventective, respond.com and decidio.com. Lead generation sites generally suck. Constantly working cold leads is a sure way of always going out for low pay.

Network, and getting referrals in from either a previous client, or a venue, or a planner are the best ways to receiving interested prospects that are likely to pay your rate.

Get on the vendor list, or one of the go to DJs for the FOB director/Sales Director/Banquet Coordinator at some nearby hotels or wedding venues, and as long as you are not terrible at sales you should be able to book enough quality clients to keep you happy and working. Add in the top 2 or 3 busiest wedding planners in the area, and you should be golden.

...The hard part is if all the area venues already have "ENOUGH" DJs/DJ companies on their lists that they don't want to bother with you...That is when it can suck...Then your hope will have to be to somehow book an event or two at said venue, and WOW the socks off of the persons in charge of booking events at that venue.

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with Thumbtack is I pay for leads and those leads never have panned out. I ahve purchased like 10 leads and have always followed up on them. 8 out of 10 times the person does not even get back with me. I have a feeling some of these so called events are really a fishing adventure for competing DJs to see how much everyone is charging.
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

25. Thanks Maestro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not even going to try Thumbtack...$8. Per lead is just too much...The only pay for lead site I use now is Eventective at $2.50 per lead...When my Lead Credits run out I may drop them also...They will tell you themselves that you will probably book only a small percentage of the competitive leads you buy..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donniles View Post
    I am not even going to try Thumbtack...$8. Per lead is just too much...The only pay for lead site I use now is Eventective at $2.50 per lead...When my Lead Credits run out I may drop them also...They will tell you themselves that you will probably book only a small percentage of the competitive leads you buy..
    I spent maybe 80 bucks on Eventecive and booked one sweet 16 event over a six month period.. I spent more time asking for credits on non responsive leads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only DJ who has had problems with Thumbtack.

I posted my profile about 5 months ago and have spent more money on leads than I've made on any gigs. I've had quite a few "unviewed" quotes, but mostly no responses at all. I even had one customer say she wanted to book me for her wedding, so I sent her a contract. We met and went over everything, discussed eveything in detail, and so I blocked off the date for her. Three days later she emailed to tell me she decided to go with another DJ. No reason, no explanation. And this was after she told me I was exactly what she was looking for.

The site also keeps changing its guidelines for questions. The most common question I've seen asked - "How many hours will you need the DJ to perform?" - is no longer allowed. When I complained about this deletion to Thumbtack, they sent me a long email explaining how, if the customer doesn't include that info in their original request, the DJ is not allowed to seek out that info. They actually told me it fell under the catagory of "offering additional services without placing a bid". Whoever runs that site has no idea what they're doing.

A friend of mine who is a professional magician has been using the site for many years. His leads are much cheaper than ours. But now he's encountering the same problems as everyone else.

And you're right about customers looking for bargain DJ's. Just today, I bid on a birthday party - $375 for 4 hours. Once I bid, I was able to get the client's phone number, so I went ahead and called him. He told me he had just booked a DJ for $75 for the entire event. If that's what I'm up against, I'll be taking my profile down very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    $75...Now that is a new low. How can any one be serious and book a DJ for $75. A $75 DJ doesn't even have any real reason to even show up to do the gig! What are they going to do...Take the DJ to court over $75? The DJ might get a judgement against him, but they still have to collect. Geez, even when I was 16 years old back in 1998, and had about 90 CDs to deejay with, and a police beacon was my light show I was telling my friends I charge $150 to DJ a 3 hour party. It amazes me what some "DJs" will do for some beer money today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2