Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flat Screens

Flat Screens

Thinking of migrating from projector/screen to a couple of flat screens for smaller events (100 ish people) what size screens do you think would be nice? Keep in mind that i need to be able to manage them myself so can't be too massive
    DJ, Karaoke, Sound Reinforcement

cory@corynick.com

50" seems to be a good mid-size and still manageable by one person.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

42" was the old standard which is what I would get.
    Regards, Steven Milani
    www.musicmaestrodj.com
    steve@musicmaestrodj.com
    'FBT / RCF Speaker Aficionado'

According to what I read recently the average size TV being bought in the last year was 47" so a 42" might look a little small in a hall or gym. I would go 50" or 55" depending on the deal

One of these would be good too I believe it's a dual

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ma_Travel.html
    Remembering those that have gone before us John Allo, JT Vegas and Softjock Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Corynick View Post
    Thinking of migrating from projector/screen to a couple of flat screens for smaller events (100 ish people) what size screens do you think would be nice? Keep in mind that i need to be able to manage them myself so can't be too massive
    Is the projector system not giving as high resolution as what a flat monitor screen would give? Do you use rear projection?

Unless you need the floor real estate, I prefer projectors. While I will agree that Tvs offer slightly better quality, projectors break down smaller and are easier to set up. Outside of your TV you'll need a way to suspend it, the proper mount and a road case. From experience, the boxes they come in will not hold up for more than a gig or two - without the proper case, you'll be buying a new TV.

I would buy no less than 50". I have 70" tvs as well, but those are unmanageable for just one person. For small stuff like slideshows around my photobooth I do use 40", but they don't look that great in wide open spaces.

In my area, nobody is using flat screens for deejaying so 42/43" would be fine and much easier to transport.
    Regards, Steven Milani
    www.musicmaestrodj.com
    steve@musicmaestrodj.com

I'd go 50" as a minimum and they're pretty cheap to purchase.... that being said I'd still stick with projector and screen for an easier setup.

Seems like more work to setup and more weight with the tv/case/stand.

For small events/venues and trade shows I usually use a 40". The 40" Sharp TVs we recently bought were super cheap on Black Friday.
    last night a CDJ saved my life
    http://www.facebook.com/inthemixcanada

Yeah, it's just that 43's fit into those super awesome Gator soft cases.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/218281-2502/g-lcd-tote-lg
    Regards, Steven Milani
    www.musicmaestrodj.com
    steve@musicmaestrodj.com

I would suggest the new model of LG OLED TV W along with Acer Predator 21. My dream combo...
    Artificially Induced State of Consciousness

Cory, I have a couple 40" but they were too small unless I am using both (opposite sides of a truss set up). I bought a 50" and I love it, it is a 24lb (toshiba) which I can easily put up by myself, I bought a second one as a backup... went to put it up and argh! it was 30lb and I could just barely manage it... I returned it. It was the same brand, same size, just a newer model. I am guessing more steel less plastic.

I used a mount from Big lots $19, it is a wall mount but I just screwed 2 clamps to it and it works like a charm. The mount is on a pole, I just hang the TV on on (pop in a zip tie so it won't move side to side if someone hits it) I still project when it makes sense but for me it is almost easier to use the TV.. noting that the box that it came in is awesome, foam protection not Styrofoam, the second one I bought had a crapy box that would not have lasted but a couple gigs. Here is a pic, TV vs projection at the same venue, one weekend apart.

IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg

** why is it such a pain in the butt to post stuff to this board?
    Last edited by vbchaz; 01-08-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: comments

Quote Originally Posted by vbchaz View Post
    Cory, I have a couple 40" but they were too small unless I am using both (opposite sides of a truss set up). I bought a 50" and I love it, it is a 24lb (toshiba) which I can easily put up by myself, I bought a second one as a backup... went to put it up and argh! it was 30lb and I could just barely manage it... I returned it. It was the same brand, same size, just a newer model. I am guessing more steel less plastic.

I used a mount from Big lots $19, it is a wall mount but I just screwed 2 clamps to it and it works like a charm. The mount is on a pole, I just hang the TV on on (pop in a zip tie so it won't move side to side if someone hits it) I still project when it makes sense but for me it is almost easier to use the TV.. noting that the box that it came in is awesome, foam protection not Styrofoam, the second one I bought had a crapy box that would not have lasted but a couple gigs. Here is a pic, TV vs projection at the same venue, one weekend apart.

IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg

Great info, thanks! You should get that 50" up higher though...
    Regards, Steven Milani
    www.musicmaestrodj.com
    steve@musicmaestrodj.com

I recently found these stands... going to order one to try.
    http://www.idjnow.com/gator-cases-gf...led-stand.html

Quote Originally Posted by nickthevj View Post
    I recently found these stands... going to order one to try.
    http://www.idjnow.com/gator-cases-gf...led-stand.html
    Nick, they only go 6 feet high.
    Regards, Steven Milani
    www.musicmaestrodj.com
    steve@musicmaestrodj.com

Quote Originally Posted by vbchaz View Post

IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg

Nice little setup. Bet the guests have a sore neck at the end of the night How do you like EVOX and what did you compare them to before buying them? Any shortcomings?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

That is a very nice setup. Do you find the tripod stands offer enough stability for comfort that close to the dance floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Nick, they only go 6 feet high.
    True but for a small event or wedding show that would be fine.

Anything taller or bigger screens I use a truss/baseplate.

Following.

I was thinking of 60". Previously I'd use 10' projection screens and once a LED video wall.

I currently use 2 65" screens. I used to use 2 55" screens for my events, however, in this area the new standard is 60" or bigger. I still have the 55's as add on's for large venues if the client desires.

IMG_6866-1.jpg

Has anyone needed to run a PowerPoint, Karaoke, slideshow and music videos on their TVs at the same event? If so what software did you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast