Thread: Help...Renaming My Packages

Help...Renaming My Packages

Currently, I have four different tiers of packages spanning different setups and price-points. As some of you may have seen in other posts, my winter project is the overhaul of my dated and embarrassing marketing materials. One thing I am looking to do is rename my packages. At the DJ expo this year, I met a fulltime Dj from Virginia Beach who had some top-notch materials, most of which he had created himself using a conversational marketing tone and templates ordered off the internet. He named his different packages after different dress styles - which was relatable to his clientele and unique. Most people around here have their packages named after precious metals or gemstones or they use terms like 'Standard', 'Ultimate' and so on... I would like to attempt to be different...

I was thinking of naming my packages after popular songs, although I am not sure how many prospects would recognize what I am doing, so I'd like some input perhaps as to clever song names to use (Preferably 1 or 2 words long). I'm really drawing a blank for song names that seem to be an appropriate fit. Here are some of my thoughts...

$ (Budget Pkg)-Perhaps 'Bare Necessities' or 'Simplicity' (not really liking these that much though)
    $$- I'm really struggling on this one...previously it was called 'The Blend' I suppose something like 'Get This Party Started' or similar could work, but this seems too wordy
    $$$- 'Unforgettable' (this decision is final and will be one of the package names)
    $$$$-'Anyway' or 'Anyway You Want It' (not many people would recognize the first, the second (Journey) song again seems a bit wordy)

I'd like to stay away from 'Love Story' type stuff as these package names will be used in my corporate event literature as well. I thought about maybe doing dance names like 'Twist', 'Charleston' etc. but that doesn't adequately convey the package level. Also, as reference most of my clients go with the third option ($$$). Next to noone ever orders the most expensive ($$$$) - it is a totally custom/boutique package that I'll probably push a little harder in the future.

More song names that go with the 'Unforgettable' package name would be MUCH appreciated so I can finish up some of these InDesign documents.

I don't have different packages to choose from for my DJ services, however I do have three package choices for my video services, Ultimate, Supreme and Elite.

I've never offered any difference, I always provide the same equipment for all my gigs. If the customers inquirers about an item that's not automatically included then I'll discuss the added cost. This is very rare. When I sell my services I even make mention that there are no confusing packages or a la carte, but rather you get it all for one flat rate. Brides seem to like it simple and just want to know the bottom line, how much do you charge.

Packages must work for you though.

Even your budget package I wouldn't use the words simple or bare, sounds too negative. Like it may be real trashy, rather than quite good but just not as good as your upper level choice. You still need to make it sound like a favorable choice.

The 3 package names should reflect "good", "better", and "best". You might want to use song titles that have those words in them.

Possibilities
    Feels so good
    Treat you Better
    Best day of my life
    Bob DeYoung

You mean like this:
    1. Chicken Dance
    2. Bunny Hop
    3. Hokey Pokey
    4. The Twist - if none of those prices work.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

If your targeting children to Seniors, maybe a simple dvd demo for that age group will do. You can name certain packages for different age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Malacara View Post
    If your targeting children to Seniors, maybe a simple dvd demo for that age group will do. You can name certain packages for different age groups.
    These may work:
    Baby
    Teen Punk
    Know it All Young Adult
    Experienced Grandpa

I really like Bobby D's suggestion and may toss around something in that direction. In my case, the packages don't have much to do with age groups - it's really about what you're getting. I've elaborated a little more on how these work for my clients.

$ (Budget Pkg)-Perhaps 'Bare Necessities' or 'Simplicity' (not really liking these that much though)
    --With this package you really don't get much. Honestly (this makes some of you cringe), the equipment used for this can fit in the trunk of my ATS or Camaro and this upcoming year, these will mostly be assigned to the new guy. Think 'Ipod alternative'
    Example, 2 weeks ago an HOA had a Christmas party and needed dinner music only with a PA to do a gift exchange in a small hall (so 2-3 hours on a Thursday). I am not lugging in 15's to a venue the size of my garage, nor am I charging them for that level of service when I could get everything up and down in less than ten minutes. This package has also been booked for backyard engagement parties, and a lot of events where they just need a PA and human jukebox at the local yacht club etc.
    Side note: I realize these types of packages can backfire - while I'll take these any day during off-season, the client asked me if I could do regular pool parties every Saturday in July with this package - there's no way I am staffed for that right now.
    Example 2: Every year a local festival hires me in the fall. They book every Saturday/Sunday for 6 weeks from 11-4 and I leave equipment installed there.

$$- Previously it was called 'The Blend' I suppose something like 'Get This Party Started' or similar could work, but this seems too wordy
    --Comes with more time + larger system + T-bar of lights. This is the one that typically gets booked for say, a graduation party. As of this year I will no longer be personally doing graduation parties and will be sending someone in my place.
    Example: There are two companies that run 5ks and marathons through town once a year and put performers at different stations on the course - they too usually book this.

$$$- 'Unforgettable' (this decision is final and will be one of the package names)
    --This one is the one that gets sold for most weddings as it has 'everything you need'. Up to 6 hours performance time - best/newest system, truss of lights, experienced MC etc. etc. etc. I personally take these (I have approx 15 yrs experience), if I can not I have partnered with another Dj who has 30 years under his belt and will operate to my specifications for a consistent experience (actually he's one of the Djs I worked for years ago).

$$$$-'Anyway' or 'Anyway You Want It' (not many people would recognize the first, the second (Journey) song again seems a bit wordy)
    --Think full day, dedicated Dj and MC, video screens, roll out the red carpet. Typically if a bride is talking to more boutique style companies in the area, this is when this package would come up. I sit down, they tell me their dreams then I calculate the price.
    Example: a couple who got married had a destination wedding and then had a reception for 300+ back here. They asked for the largest system possible. The bride specifically requested subs, sidefills etc (6 speakers) because she wanted to transform the hall into a night club. She also wanted a full lighting truss on the stage and then T-bars positioned around her dancefloor. She wanted a gobo, extra wireless systems, beatmatched music and a projector and screen to show the ceremony to her guests. This came with a price tag and is out of the norm for the calls I get.
    Example 2: The owner of a well known food manufacturer's daughter was getting married on their estate. They had an outdoor ceremony by the lake, I was to be by the bar in another tent and then they had an area with tables and food trucks, and then another two tents with tables for people to talk. They wanted sound in each area zoned at different volumes and wanted all the tents washed with pars. Of course this is near a full day of my time and I had someone on the clock unloading the trailer as I put things up... My first thought when I hear these types of wish lists is 'how much do you want to spend'?

If I ever make it to fulltime, I would like to concentrate more on the boutique stuff, but for now, I mainly push the 'Unforgettable'...

All-in-all around here people and businesses both have budgets. I base my sale on their application. If they see one thing, they may think it is too expensive or overkill for their event and skip me over. I have a minimum price on my time, plus I legitimately pay for my music and carry liability insurance so I am not going to entertain people who want to spend Craigslist prices on a Dj, but, cards often fly off the table with my basic package because people like the size and simplicity so it's free advertising.

Unforgettable needs another $
    6 hours, MC, truss, etc. Surely it was a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Unforgettable needs another $
    6 hours, MC, truss, etc. Surely it was a typo?
    So...you're saying something I can have up and running in 1.5 hours or less alone should be listed at the same price point as something that requires an assistant to help set up over the course of multiple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Camarofleet View Post
    So...you're saying something I can have up and running in 1.5 hours or less alone should be listed at the same price point as something that requires an assistant to help set up over the course of multiple hours.
    $$$$ Different numbers can occur when using 4 numbers. $1400, $1950 for example.

Hmmmm, Superstar! and Unbelievable! come to mind for the biggest package but I'm still not in love with them. I'll keep thinking....
    Paige Vanderpool
    Music Magic Events

Quote Originally Posted by Paige Vanderpool View Post
    Hmmmm, Superstar! and Unbelievable! come to mind for the biggest package but I'm still not in love with them. I'll keep thinking....
    I thought Sid would be your biggest package Happy New Year to the two of you.

Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American