Thread: Keeping up with the hottest music

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping up with the hottest music

How many are keeping up with the hottest dance/ floor fillers today? No I don't mean having monthly music subscriptions , I mean songs that that are popular and get lots of airplay for the last few weeks up to today..

Post Thanks / Like
    Ross Anderson
    DJ & Managing Director
    Bela Sono Music

3. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always monitor local TOP 40/Country radio station playlists to see what the top local songs are! What the most played songs are locally etc. Easy to do. Most stations have there playlists online........ research your local stations and I bet you can find yours easily!
    Last edited by djderik; 01-04-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add gif
    Riptide Entertainment.....catch the wave !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Malacara View Post
    How many are keeping up with the hottest dance/ floor fillers today...songs that that are popular and get lots of airplay for the last few weeks up to today.
    Diligent and routine local and national radio and online chart review and analysis.

That practice/system has worked for decades, at least it has for all the pros I respect and trust. Today, it is simply a whole-hellovalot easier and less costly to obtain the accurate and legit info.

P.S. Many monthly music subscriptions provide their legit clients with useful chart data as part of their service.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Malacara View Post
    How many are keeping up with the hottest dance/ floor fillers today? No I don't mean having monthly music subscriptions , I mean songs that that are popular and get lots of airplay for the last few weeks up to today..
    We do this every week. We copy and paste onto a word document the top 40 charts both in pop and country. (We put them on a word document because there is not always Wifi)

I even go a step further highlighting in yellow the hot "dance" songs.

Mixmaster
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"
    Mixmaster Professional DJ Services
    http://www.themixmaster.net
    http://www.facebook.com/MixmasterDJService

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the Promo Only Hitlist is a good start. It doesn't have everything, and their is some stuff that might look a little obscure to your region depending on your market - but again, it's a baseline. I'll often take a look at that, the Billboard Top chart and then sometimes through music Db services available with your planners they release lists of 'Top Requested' which seem to be very accurate. I log everything and run a lot of internal reports on my playlists as well.

Where I have been running into trouble is every now and then I'll be doing a wedding or 5k or something and there is some 'Internet Video Sensation' trending I have never heard of before. Of course my first instinct is to attempt to purchase it off Amazon. When it can't be found I have a bunch of little kids telling me to 'get with it and download it off Youtube'.

If it's something that can't be purchased or easily cataloged - do you all still follow it?

Post Thanks / Like
    For most current "hotness" .. check the Youtube charts .. https://artists.youtube.com/charts

One thing to try is the local insights .. https://artists.youtube.com/insights...c96c95fd266d04

You can see what's popular around you.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

9. Thanks Camarofleet thanked for this post
    Likes Camarofleet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    For most current "hotness" .. check the Youtube charts .. https://artists.youtube.com/charts

One thing to try is the local insights .. https://artists.youtube.com/insights...c96c95fd266d04

You can see what's popular around you.
    You and your hotties!
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

11. Likes djrox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Thanks for the chart. I honestly had no idea those existed even though I probably should.

The problem I am running into is these requests, while well known by a subset of the audience the performers being requested are not signed artists, and therefore there is no way to purchase or otherwise support the artist or ensure they receive the proper compensation for their work. Playing something that 'lives' online whether you stream it or download it seems unprofessional to me.

I'm not affiliated with the music industry or any record companies, nor am I the download police. I know quite a few guys around here that download quite a bit of music and video off Youtube. Outside of the legal ramifications this could have down the line, I find it to be low quality. I realize most viral videos get monetized by the number of plays on the major streaming sites. I'll also be the firs to admit I have almost had to use sites like this once or twice when I literally could not find something needed (requested in advance) for a wedding ANYWHERE ELSE.

This begs the question however, when you have something say, Regional that all the kids in a local school watch over and over again (I'm drawing a blank on specific examples but let's say some song and dance that is viral and lives on the internet), and it is not available off Youtube, is this something you would actually play? If so, how? Am I actually expected to start downloading Youtube Videos and clutter my drives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Camarofleet View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for the chart. I honestly had no idea those existed even though I probably should.

The problem I am running into is these requests, while well known by a subset of the audience the performers being requested are not signed artists, and therefore there is no way to purchase or otherwise support the artist or ensure they receive the proper compensation for their work. Playing something that 'lives' online whether you stream it or download it seems unprofessional to me.

I'm not affiliated with the music industry or any record companies, nor am I the download police. I know quite a few guys around here that download quite a bit of music and video off Youtube. Outside of the legal ramifications this could have down the line, I find it to be low quality. I realize most viral videos get monetized by the number of plays on the major streaming sites. I'll also be the firs to admit I have almost had to use sites like this once or twice when I literally could not find something needed (requested in advance) for a wedding ANYWHERE ELSE.

This begs the question however, when you have something say, Regional that all the kids in a local school watch over and over again (I'm drawing a blank on specific examples but let's say some song and dance that is viral and lives on the internet), and it is not available off Youtube, is this something you would actually play? If so, how? Am I actually expected to start downloading Youtube Videos and clutter my drives?
    For school events, you can always have the sponsoring committee ask the students and get you the top 5 or 10 requests (hopefully blessed by the school admin) .. this way you have at least some of what they locally might be listening to.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Post Thanks / Like
    In the original post you mention, "I don't mean monthly subscriptions", but this is exactly how I stay current. All legal with no downloading off YouTube. I have a Prime Cuts weekly. Gets me most everything. Why are discounting a subscription to keep up to date?

And Steve, like the charts you brought to our attention. I didn't know they existed either. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Shazam works perfect for me. I can search top 40 by any country. What is the most popular hit in Europe today? Burak Yeter -Tuesday.

I also like from Youtube - Ricky Martin - Vente Pa' Ca and Thalía - Desde Esa Noche
    Artificially Induced State of Consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    To my point, I am not necessarily singling out school events for these types of situations. Silly dancing aside, don't quote me on this, but I *believe* one example some of us may be familiar with are some of the 'Piano Guy' type performers. For example, say The 'Piano Guys' have something out online that is not yet available for purchase. A bride hears it and wants to walk down the aisle to it. Much of their success was gained from viral views on YouTube or whatever.

Besides them, there are many other string and piano covers out there that may be online well before they are available for purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Sample of this weeks charts analyses I use to make sure my inventory is current:

January 17, 2017 Chart Recap (Chart Gainers + Adds)

Top 40:
    Maroon 5 ft Kendrick Lamar Don't Wanna Know
    Alessia Cara Scars To Your Beautiful
    MGK X Camila Cabello Bad Things
    Zayn & Taylor Swift D
    Ed Sheeran Shape Of You
    The Chainsmokers Paris
    Calum Scott & Dancing On My Own
    G-Eazy ft Marc E. Bassy Some Kind Of Drug

Rhythmic:
    Drake's Fake Love
    MGK X Camila Cabello Bad Things