Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This promoter is looking for me to help them out this Satuday.

Post Thanks / Like

Question This promoter is looking for me to help them out this Satuday.

Here is the deal. I had a conversation with this promoter that has been wanting to work with me for some time now. He was talking to me about helping him out with a bus ride. He is having one this Saturday January 7th. He called me this Friday and here is what he is looking for. I doubt I will be able to do it today. He's having another one on February 10th. So if I can't help with this one maybe I can help with the one next month.

He has a plan to have a famous singer to perform on the bus singing some of his best songs. What he wants from me is a hookup to play some music into the speaker system on the bus and have the singer use a mic. I've never done this before and I asked the DJ friend that we both know about this and he hasn't done this either. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to do this if it can be done? I was thinking of using a laptop and somehow getting to play a CD with it through the speakers on the bus. So how could I do this with a mic if it can be done? I really haven't got a clue. Can I get suggestions please and thanks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most speakers now days have a line & mic input. Keep it simple .
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    The famous signer may be Michael Jackson or perhaps Elvis. How do you always get the best gigs?
    Simply a professional DJ/MC making events more memorable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on the free gig ..
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

5. Likes D.J.Jeff Romard, djrox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Are you talking to him or the client

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I guess it works out both ways ...
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Both deserving of the other.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a free gig at all sir. Pay is involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    Both deserving of the other.
    He is the client OK? He's the one promoting the bus ride and he is the one asking me if I can do this? I have a good ideal how it can be done. Rockville has an 12" battery powered speaker that comes with 2 mics and outputs in the back of the speaker to use for the setup. I won't make a rude comment about your rude comment you just made. I will take the high road and not stoop to your elementary level. That's the grown up way to do things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djmachoman View Post
    Not a free gig at all sir. Pay is involved.
    Sorry .. Good luck on the free (after expenses) gig ..

12. Likes D.J.Jeff Romard, djrox, sonic-vision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so you have a performer that you need to tap into something somehow. Ideally this would be the speakers in the bus, but that may not work out so it's important that you bring something along as well that would work. This is rather difficult to think of everything without seeing the bus, but here goes.

Examining the bus:

Ok, the bus has speakers, but the speakers need to be hooked into something. Chances are it's a radio or amplifier unit of some sort. So, you'll need to evaluate your options here for an input.

If you have an amplifier like some limos, buses etc. have then you might have RCAs or some sort of line in. In this case, awesome, get a cable that hooks into your gear and make it happen.

Same if there is a standard head unit but no amplifier - if there is an input of some sort, wire into it - if not, you'll probably be looking at the following options:

1. Spicing into the speaker wires off the harness on the back of the unit.
    2. On an older unit with a tape deck, get some sort of line to tape converter
    3. Use an AM/FM modulator

Now for the important part - either make them (the bus owners) do the work to tap in or make sure there is a written agreement holding you harmless should something go wrong and damages occur. Personally, I also carry liability insurance but I don't know how far it would get you on something like this.

Anything of theirs you wire up to something of yours you need to be careful with. Personally, whenever connecting to someone else's audio equipment, I do it one of two ways:

1. Through a tape out or booth out starting with all volumes all the way down
    2. Through a DI box with a PAD function or through some sort of box which will convert my signal to the proper line level or otherwise knock it down

Next, you need to have something ready to bring with you. So use battery powered sources such as laptops or whatever. For your Audio, use some sort of battery powered mixer, but also bring a Powered PA or Karaoke Machine. You have two ways to power this - off a battery in the unit, or with an inverter assuming the draw will not be too much for the power source in the bus. Again, I have no idea what there might be to tap into since I have not seen it.

Personally, I use Anchor battery powered speakers. These may be worth picking up for your arsenal should you ever need to do outdoor ceremonies with limited power options. I know some of the lower powered Radioshack PA amps will run off an inverter as well. While they're not the greatest, I can attest they will do the job in a pinch and are cheap. If you don't have the budget for Anchor perhaps look into Samson or Vocopro. I would stay away from Rockville - the quality is going to be in-line with bottom feeder brands like Pyle Pro. Alternatively, you could try a 12v car amplifier from Best Buy.

Again, I can't stress enough that I would not touch someone else's stuff without proper liability insurance or written agreements. If you're not comfortable doing it, take it to someone who is.

To some of the other comments on here in all honesty, unless you just bring something battery powered that you have on hand already, your incidental equipment cost is probably going to come in between $100-$700 to make this happen - the low end being just cables etc. the high end being something a little more custom. I don;t know what you might have laying around, but since you referenced buying Rockvilles, I am guessing you don't have anything on hand that will work. You'll want to make sure your invoice reflects that plus your time for any applicable consult or install.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know of any famous singers that now have to lower their status to being a bus-singer to attract a crowd.

Maybe this event is for Senior Citizens and Mr. Humperdinck or Wayne Newton are making a come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rockville has an 12" battery powered speaker that comes with 2 mics and outputs in the back of the speaker to use for the setup.
    A low quality POS!

I doubt "a famous singer" performs without providing an equipment rider.

I doubt any legit promoter participates in an event with "a famous singer" without getting an equipment rider.

P.S. No "famous singer" is going to relegate the decisions on his performance equipment to some rattle can painted bus promoter and his deeeejay.

Sorry if reality sounds rude.
    Last edited by djrox; 01-07-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Post Thanks / Like
    A low quality POS!

I doubt any legit promoter participates in an event with "a famous singer" without getting an equipment rider.

P.S. No "famous singer" is going to relegate the decisions on his performance equipment to some rattle can painted bus promoter and his deeeejay.

First off I was asked about doing the job and I came here along with another forum for suggestions on how it could be done. I already know that there is a better unit out there then that one. Denon makes a very nice unit. It cost much more then that one. The only way I can justify buying that unit is if I were to have things that I could use it for to get my money back and then some. So unless I had more gigs where I needed to use a battery powered speaker I won't buy that one. On the other hand he may want to do this a bunch of other times where it would be worth it to buy the Denon. Then it maynot be a bad thing to use for a ceremony. For a ceremony you don't need a killer system. The point is I don't know how much use I will get out of a battery powered speaker. If I had a bunch of gigs lined up where I needed it then no problem.

Also this is a learning curve for me. So why spend crazy money on something and I'm just learning what to do. Nothing right now is written in stone. I don't know if I will be doing this or not. I just told him I would do some research to see how it could be done. That's about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious how much a gig like this pays. Macho, can you indulge us?
    If this is going to be a party bus, I doubt the installed overhead speakers will be good at all, as they will most likely be 4-6" coaxials and not well made ones at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    A low quality POS!

When the agent told Macho there will be a rider, he replied who will I be sitting by

19. Likes djrox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Promoters often look for free or cheap entertainers to open for better known acts. Some won't pay you even though they said they would.

I was thinking of using a laptop and somehow getting to play a CD with it through the speakers on the bus.
    CDs might skip while riding on a bus.

Most speakers now days have a line & mic input. Keep it simple .
    A battery powered speaker should do the trick.
    Bob DeYoung

Post Thanks / Like

Or perform on a moving bus
    Remembering those that have gone before us John Allo, JT Vegas and Softjock Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    So Macho who was the famous singer. Warning: Macho man no longer hang out here now that he is higher company.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Macho who was the famous singer. Warning: Macho man no longer hang out here now that he is higher company.
    I didn't do the gig this past Saturday. I may do it on 2-10-17. I haven't talked with the guy yet. I probably will today. I still have the issue hat was brought up about the battery powered speaker. I wouldn't want to spend a crazy amount of money for one and it being a time only use. Personally I love the Denon one! It's looks great and I bet it will sound great. Just not comfortable with spending that much and it will collect dust. Unlike the Yamaha DSR 115's which has gotten plenty of use and have been paid for many times over.

24. Likes D.J.Jeff Romard liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast