Thread: New way of doing business

New way of doing business

I am experimenting with a new technology, at least to me. Instead of taking requests via kiosk or phone app like I planned on doing. I will take the requests verbally but instead of having the singer come to my system, I will be bringing my system to them via remote desktop. I can do everything that I can do at my computer except for adjusting the mix between the vocals and the music but that only takes seconds for me to find the right mix.
    I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host, I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman.

My first show with the new format worked out great. I liked it so much that I don't think that I will be revisiting the phone app and kiosk capability. I was hardly behind my equipment during the show and my singers seemed to like having me come up to them and putting their songs in while I am talking to them at their table.

I use remote desktop for DJing a lot . my program fir DJ makes it a little hard to search for songs but not real hard ,. Most of the time I use it for volume control and song order .
    But I have a few times done it for karaoke . just not as intense as you are saying but it can be a great tool to keep you in touch with the people . How do you call the nest singer up though and make mic adjustments ?

I am adding a headset mic into my system for announcing the next singer at least until I can get connected to the venues TV again. The venue that I have been dealing with used to have a TV that fit on a TV cart that I had them setup by my system. I was just about able to make it so that I could hook up to it and my 22" computer monitor using a vga splitter to send a signal to my VGA to hdmi adapter for their TV and a VGA cable to my computer monitor. Before that I was just hooking up to their big screen TV using the VGA to hdmi adapter because the computer I was using didn't have an HDMI port. Some idiot decided that they didn't like the snow dots on the screen and decided that they were going to try and fix it themselves which totally took the big screen out of the picture. They replaced the TV with an even bigger TV that had wouldn't fit on the cart. I had already found the sweet spot for getting my system to sound the best plus the fact that it gave my singers what could be called a real stage area. The new TV is a Samsung Smart TV so it is supposed to handle wireless display over WiFi connection. I found out that it really doesn't work if your WiFi hotspot can't handle multi-tasking between something as intense as streaming video and dealing with remote requests. So I am looking at using outside equipment to make it so that I can hook up to the new TV and my singer's monitor. While I was using their TV, I had the next few singer's names going across the screen and had my singers used to paying attention to the scrolling message to see when they were coming up in the rotation. So the next singer was actually standing there ready to be given the mic when the last singer was done singing. I basically didn't have to call them up because they were already there to sing their song when it was time for them to sing and unless the singer before them left, they knew exactly who they were following anyway as the show went on because the rotation was a fixed rotation meaning if everyone sang all night long then they would always follow the person who they followed from the start of the show. In my experience for the majority of the years that I have been doing this, I have barely had to make major adjustments to the mix between the vocals and the music but for people who would not project their voice enough or someone who is a very loud singer. If I hear something amiss with the mix then I would head back to the equipment to make the adjustment. To do what I am doing, you need a tablet with a big enough screen to control your software. Basically you need at least a 10.1" screen tablet and you should be able to do just about everything that you could do on your computer. I can enter songs and singers into the que without any issues at all, deal with the few VCD videos that I have in my library that require me using the multiplex function. About the only thing that I can't do is deactivate and reactivate singers with no songs in that have told me that they had to go somewhere but are coming back because they are picking up a singer that was just getting off of work. Because of this, I have adopted a new policy, for those who don't tell me that they are leaving and coming back, I will skip them three times and then delete them from the rotation (yeah I guess that I am actually being nice to them). If they come back and want to sing then they get added as if they are a new singer into the rotation and have to wait their turn like the rest of them. If they do information me before they leave that they have to go pick up a friend but will be back, I inform them that I am removing them from the rotation if they don't have a song in if they don't get back before their next turn and they will be put back in as a new singer.
    I plan on using the new method of doing things to promote my business. Until now, I really didn't have a real selling point besides that I have been doing this for over 20 years, run what I consider the fairest rotation in town and pay for all of my music so there's no way for them to be drawn into a lawsuit from the only company that is suing KJ's and venues for illegal copies of their product oh and as Technology has changed so have I.
    Last edited by DannyG2001; 06-13-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something.

Another thing I can use the time in the audience to move the show along faster by telling the person singing next to get their bathroom break or cigarette break done quickly because they are next. I have found that it worked well to make it so that I didn't have to be playing filler music between singers because the next singer would be coming up in time for handing over the mic making my calling the singer up just a formality. I would still announce the next singer but it would only be so that the audience would know who was singing. I pretty much have that at the show that I do twice a month at. It will be easier to get that effect when I get to use the big screen TV once I get my wireless video transmitter and receiver system.

Unfortunately remote desktop didn't pan out the way that I wanted it to. I think that I may have been trying to get too fancy with the technology but what I wanted to do with it has not been perfected yet.
    I am back to remote requests but with a twist. Instead of a stationary kiosk, I am using my tablet as a mobile kiosk. Just switched players so that I can spend more time in the audience. I haven't gotten to use it yet. I have a gig where they don't care if I use them as test subjects. It is a non-profit mental health social center. Unfortunately for me, I have to use the old program one last time, although it's going to make a good backup if I have problems with the new player. I don't expect to because I have used their products before and they have been rock solid.

I ran my first show with the new software and except for setting up my song request software to limit the number of requests for each singer, it worked perfectly. I have a couple of singers that like to put a boatload of requests because they think that the show is all about them and no other singers matter. They usually get huffy if they don't get to sing the last five to ten songs that are remaining in their que and try to convince me to let them finish up their requests, which I never do and they know that when I stop taking requests, I stop taking requests no matter what.