Thread: Speaker died

Speaker died

I owe and stand by JBL Powered speakers but it just might be time to upgrade.
    Last Sunday both of my JBL's worked well at a event but yesterday one of them at a wedding wouldn't even power up, tried switching power cords with no luck.
    Lucky for me the venue was small enough to run just one speaker without any issues.
    I'm going to search tomorrow Monday if there's a powered speaker repair shop nearby , These are JBL 15 in 2 way. I've had them for maybe 5 or six years , so If you can possibly give some advice as to what could of possibly happened It would be appreciated.

A mouse or rat may have partied inside your box.

Any fuses?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    A mouse or rat may have partied inside your box.

Any fuses?
    Good answer on the fuses, I'll check thanks.

Why no back up?
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

I had to replace a fuse on a JBL eon once.
    Bob DeYoung

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Malacara View Post
    I owe and stand by JBL Powered speakers but it just might be time to upgrade. Last Sunday both of my JBL's worked well at a event but yesterday one of them at a wedding wouldn't even power up, tried switching power cords with no luck. Lucky for me the venue was small enough to run just one speaker without any issues. I'm going to search tomorrow Monday if there's a powered speaker repair shop nearby , These are JBL 15 in 2 way. I've had them for maybe 5 or six years , so If you can possibly give some advice as to what could of possibly happened It would be appreciated.
    It happens. You should be going out with at least 3 powered speakers. Most DJs using passive cabs wouldn't think of leaving without a spare amplifier. You have to consider any active speaker every bit the critical link as the amplifier in a passive system. The amplifiers in JBL Eons sometimes fail. There's enough of these things around to cannibalize one for parts if that's the case.

Tested my speaker yesterday and it works, the problem was the old venue's electrical system wouldn't allow enough power. This is the first time I've encountered an electrical issue like this. I then called the venue to explain the problem and they are aware of this.
    The venue was built in the 1920"s Ive been told with many additions ,upgrades but not enough electrical upgrades.. I'm sure glad it wasn't a speaker problem.

FOR ANY NEWBIES READING THIS THREAD: The issue was also not knowing or getting to know the venue with enough assurance and assuming they were capable of providing you with the requisite power.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

I have used nothing but JBL 15 tops and RCF bottoms for 15 plus years. I have always gone out with two amps and three speakers. Just in case of a problem.

Never blew any of my speakers. Started with the old MR tops, then Mpros, then MRX. JBL was always reliable to me.

This year I bought three PRX815 powered tops and could not be happier. The volume and clarity is awesome. I sold my passive tops and amps.

I also have two EON 10s for ceremonies and cocktail hours.

I'm glad your speaker was not broken but it's always a good idea to have back up.

You may even want to simplify your set up(s)/backup. After I had a Rane mixer issue before a reception and had to run out to the truck for a back up mixer and then messing with my rack, taking apart swapping out etc. I had enough.

I bought two identical digital set ups in cases. I now use two Denon MC4000 controllers. It's an ideal set up for a mobile DJ. It has just about everything you need. You can get very creative if you want and all the basics are solid. It has a very clean sound. Best part, you can buy two with great cases for like 1000 bucks and swap them out in under a minute if you ever had an issue. That's a very low cost for piece of mind.

All the best! C

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    FOR ANY NEWBIES READING THIS THREAD: The issue was also not knowing or getting to know the venue with enough assurance and assuming they were capable of providing you with the requisite power.
    This is the third time I've worked at that same venue but the first time I had to set up in another location , Again it wasn't an equipment issue but an electrical on the venues behalf.
    Sometimes you have no choice on the location inside the venue for setting up, you do what's provided to you and nothing more.

If the voltage was that low, it seems odd that the other speaker and the rest of your equipment was working OK.
    Bob DeYoung

Sometimes you have no choice...
    Especially if you accept that station. Something as simple as a call to the familiar venue, in advance of the day of, inquiring as to the proposed layout might have/likely would have provided you with information you did not have and allowed you to have choices.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    Especially if you accept that station. Something as simple as a call to the familiar venue, in advance of the day of, inquiring as to the proposed layout might have/likely would have provided you with information you did not have and allowed you to have choices.
    No problems twice before at that same venue.
    Most venues decorate well in advance and sometimes The DJ has to set up in the only area provided.
    Please read previous posts before you begin the bashing.

No problems twice before at that same venue. Most venues decorate well in advance and sometimes The DJ has to set up in the only area provided. Please read previous posts before you begin the bashing.
    I'll stand on my belief that better, more effective and earlier communication would have likely eliminated the need to expose you lack of back up gear.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    If the voltage was that low, it seems odd that the other speaker and the rest of your equipment was working OK.

I think the venues electrical issue boils down to the DJ using an outlet that was not turned on (reset) at the breaker panel.

It'a pretty common to walk into a venue and find their outlets dead because the last band or DJ in the room tripped the breakers with their "production."

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    I think the venues electrical issue boils down to the DJ using an outlet that was not turned on (reset) at the breaker panel.

It'a pretty common to walk into a venue and find their outlets dead because the last band or DJ in the room tripped the breakers with their "production."
    I use a handy little yellow tester before plugging in at venues I haven't been too. In rare cases the outlet you wished work, near the DJ location does not, and you have to run a cord 50-100ft away to find an outlet that works.

One solution is, come prepared to handle most any Situation - and play Yaz when up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    - and play Yaz when up and running.
    Only You would do that. I gauge the Situation and if State Farm is there I Don't Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    Only You would do that. I gauge the Situation and if State Farm is there I Don't Go.
    Yazoo to you!

Took some time and tested everything including speakers and turned out A-OK.