Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Another New Light to replace another light???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559

    Another New Light to replace another light???

    Anyone here seen/used this light yet? It looks like the spread would be really good and wide but the projection for the intensity of the colors may not be so great. Thus, only good for a short throw say 10-15 feet? Also, I wonder if the SMD's can be turned off when desired, and just have the LED colors working in static or sound activated mode. https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/fxarray-q5/

    Our company has a bunch of the Chauvet FX Wash which we like but they don't have remote control ability. They are really bright and project well though.

    The FXpar 9 is good and strong too, but has a much tighter spread.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    4,591
    I'm with you on the apparent very short throw. I see this being of possible use on a DJ fašade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Looks like no one has seen or tried this light yet?

    So what new lights are you guys and gals looking into getting?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    4,591
    It's been out for some time, but I am leaning towards getting a couple of the BlissLight BL15 lights to create the beautiful starfield/nebula effect on the ceilings.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Guess no one has seen or bought this light. FX array Q5

    The FXpar 9 is a keeper. If you guys haven't checked one out, do so.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  6. #6
    Looks tacky.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Quote Originally Posted by robare99 View Post
    Looks tacky.
    For a youth event maybe not. A wedding it could look tacky but for the drunks it may look spacey. Wow, far out man!
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Gulfport, MS
    Posts
    4,591
    What about the ADJ ON-X fixture? Here is a long video of a store demo'ing it. This is one light that REALLY comes alive with some haze or light fog.
    Also, as the video shows, I think it has better impact with 2 fixtures.

    ADJ Product Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K9rV1nov-U

    Light demo video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLWkkJxXG6k

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    2,823
    I am very certain that the majority of DJs have lost interest in the newer lighting effects. I can't imagine that any of these newer effect models are selling more than a couple hundred units world wide on most of these newer effect lights. There seems to be no enthusiasm among DJs to bother buying them any more. I know I'm not bothering with any more effects moving forward.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Auckland ,New Zealand
    Posts
    2,951
    When they banned smoke machines from most venues they took away the incentive to use lighting . Man i miss that smoke the effects were twice as good as you could see the full travel of the beams.

  11. #11

    Chauvet FXArray

    I just received one. I also have the FX Wash, which is too bright/harsh for small to medium venues (middle school kid: "can you stop the lights from flashing?").

    The throw is wide and fairly far (easily 30+ feet) - I will try to post a video shortly.

    At first, I too thought it looked a bit "carnivalesque", but with DMX control it should be serviceable.

    There are auto-programs that black out the SMD LEDs (I use a DMX controller so that is not an issue for me).

    I am still familarizing myself with the light, but here are my initial impressions:

    PROS

    compact
    wide coverage
    IRC remote compatible
    Wash light global dimmer (yay!)
    Rugged construction
    Has UV (albeit not super bright)

    CONS

    Limited control of SMDs (only pre-set colors, no brightness or zone control)

    I hope that helps (I am probably going to get a second one - now to select a centerpiece fixture...)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Quote Originally Posted by marksat View Post
    I just received one. I also have the FX Wash, which is too bright/harsh for small to medium venues (middle school kid: "can you stop the lights from flashing?").

    The throw is wide and fairly far (easily 30+ feet) - I will try to post a video shortly.

    At first, I too thought it looked a bit "carnivalesque", but with DMX control it should be serviceable.

    There are auto-programs that black out the SMD LEDs (I use a DMX controller so that is not an issue for me).

    I am still familarizing myself with the light, but here are my initial impressions:

    PROS

    compact
    wide coverage
    IRC remote compatible
    Wash light global dimmer (yay!)
    Rugged construction
    Has UV (albeit not super bright)

    CONS

    Limited control of SMDs (only pre-set colors, no brightness or zone control)

    I hope that helps (I am probably going to get a second one - now to select a centerpiece fixture...)
    Thank you for the detailed input. I look forward to seeing the video you have.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  13. #13

    Chauvet FXArray Wash Video

    Here is a quick-and-dirty video (by no means a comprehensive review - all from my phone, nothing fancy). This is in my living room (I don't have an ideal space for demo videos) - about 25' x 16' w/10' high ceiling. The first half is just clicking through the preset static colors and the second half is just clicking through the auto programs (all from the menu, no DMX, no sound-active).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbgXVzv3CuA

    I have a really small wedding reception this weekend (planning on just using this with a couple of small par uplights - might actually be too much, but I should be able to tone it down via DMX), perhaps I will take more video then.

    Also check out the B2 Lighting FX video (that guy is a real card):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W97KM5Ksck

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Marksat, thank you for the excellent review. I plan to get 2-4 for those for backfill and perhaps down fill lighting rooms with a nice wide wash. The color options and wide wash is the selling point for me, don't care about the smd stuff though.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    3,778

    Another New Light to replace another light???

    Core Pars are much better for downlighting and wash. Not only for its output and optics, but for the single chip. You don't see a bunch of LEDS and it's very easy on the eyes. Try starring at this new fixture!!

    One looks like a cheasy dj light, one look like something a production company would use.
    Thanks,
    Justin

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Core Pars are much better for downlighting and wash. Not only for its output and optics, but for the single chip. You don't see a bunch of LEDS and it's very easy on the eyes. Try starring at this new fixture!!

    One looks like a cheasy dj light, one look like something a production company would use.
    I bought 2 COREpar 40 and feel the output is too weak. Was not impressed.

    Still one of my favorite washlights is the Wash FX that baby has some juice, just wish it had more instant macros and remote capabilities.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    3,778
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I bought 2 COREpar 40 and feel the output is too weak. Was not impressed.

    Still one of my favorite washlights is the Wash FX that baby has some juice, just wish it had more instant macros and remote capabilities.
    Core par 80. Way more output. The washfx was my next choice but again very harsh looking and I hate seeing the leds. The core para you can literally stare at and it doesn't blind you and doesn't look led.
    Thanks,
    Justin

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Core par 80. Way more output. The washfx was my next choice but again very harsh looking and I hate seeing the leds. The core para you can literally stare at and it doesn't blind you and doesn't look led.
    But those bouncing leds are so cool when playing dance music. Multiple uses. It's knowing when to use what and how much to give.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    3,778

    Another New Light to replace another light???

    Lol. Ya bouncing leds look so elegant for weddings.
    Either way, wash fx or this light is really not good for down or wash lighting bc of how harsh it is. It only took me one minute to realize how many complaints i would have gotten before i went blind.

    Core par 80 is much more elegant and a much better tool for down wash lighting.
    Thanks,
    Justin

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    8,559
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Lol. Ya bouncing leds look so elegant for weddings.
    Either way, wash fx or this light is really not good for down or wash lighting bc of how harsh it is. It only took me one minute to realize how many complaints i would have gotten before i went blind.

    Core par 80 is much more elegant and a much better tool for down wash lighting.
    LOL more! Clubs, TV Shows, and production companies do use them, and much brighter ones too. People will complain no matter what. Wow them. The complainers won't pay a professionals fee any ways.

    Imagine being in the room at DWS, anyone pissed about the 30,000 lumen light flashing across their face. Or, are the Wowed by the dynamics and awesome effect. CorePar 80 is a baby compared to what the big boys use.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •