Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Longest 40 secs! VDJ got me!

Um... a little perspective on batteries that some of you may not have if you aren't involved in the upper tier event market. I can't help but grimace at the thought of people arguing over the occasional discard of a few handheld mic batteries. The world has much bigger battery problems:

Consider just one example - how many Bar/Bat Mitvahs and other similarly dressed out events using light up centerpieces are there in any major city each week? Many of these events will have centerpieces using ordinary alkaline batteries - up to 8 per centerpiece, with 20 - 60 centerpieces per event, and perhaps 2 dozen of these types of events in any given city any given week.

That's BARRELS of batteries every week piling up that can't be used again for an event; and that also are too drained to be reliable in any other device. (Yes, I've seen barrels of AA, AAA, C, D, and button batteries in warehouses) There is no convenient or widespread recycling of ordinary alkaline batteries (they are not considered hazardous.) The prescribed treatment is to disperse them in landfills on the assumption that there are so few in comparative volume in any given bag of household trash.

Yet, this is not what happens commercially in a society hell bent on things that light up, glow or otherwise ramp up battery waste to an excessive level. The solution is to change people's minds about their obsession with glow products.

alkaline batteries are required to be recycled at electronic stores. I drop them off at Best Buy.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    alkaline batteries are required to be recycled at electronic stores. I drop them off at Best Buy.
    California is the ONLY state in which that is true.
    Ever wonder where these batteries end up when they leave California?

The level of Zinc and Manganese in an alkaline battery is so small that recycling them is not cost effective. When was the last time you or anyone you know made a financial donation to a recycling business dedicated to losing money? [insert cricket sounds here....]

The thing about recycling is that it doesn't end or even begin at the threshold of Best Buy, or any other drop-off location.

I made the mistake of using dollar store batteries once. Had to change the batteries part of the way through the event. Lesson learned. I don't see batteries for a cordless mic as a big issue. I normally look for a sale on batteries. They don't cost that much to go crazy over using alkaline batteries or rechargeable batteries. I say what some of you charge for your services, buying batteries every time shouldn't be a big deal. We're not talking about spending $50 for batteries every time you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    California is the ONLY state in which that is true.
    Ever wonder where these batteries end up when they leave California?

The level of Zinc and Manganese in an alkaline battery is so small that recycling them is not cost effective. When was the last time you or anyone you know made a financial donation to a recycling business dedicated to losing money? [insert cricket sounds here....]

The thing about recycling is that it doesn't end or even begin at the threshold of Best Buy, or any other drop-off location.
    That is BS! CA is not the only state. I have family all across the country. Do a quick google search and you will see CA is not alone by any means.

http://www.call2recycle.org/recycling-laws-by-state/
    Thanks,
    Justin

This just reminded me that I need to change out all the batteries in all my handheld, and my lav systems. I have actually gone the last 4 events without replacing a single battery, it's definitely time to replace all of them before my next wedding on July 29th! I usually change them out after 2 events.

Imo if you are using Alkaline (Not cheap Zinc) batteries, you should be totally safe using them for 2 events. 4 is pushing it, and I certainly have pushed it this time around. ...Really just being lazy not changing them out. I also use Rayovac PRO series batteries. My wife buys them as she works at a lighting distributor. They are in theory better than the best alkalines you can buy at the store, but I see no difference in longevity.

That is BS! CA is not the only state. I have family all across the country. Do a quick google search and you will see CA is not alone by any means.

Not the only one, but there are very few (5):

In states without bioassay or other requirements, dispose of alkaline batteries as non-hazardous solid waste with general refuse according to RCRA regulations.
    In states with bioassay requirements (Alaska, California, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Washington), alkaline batteries are classified as hazardous waste and can be disposed through the DRMO or through local contract.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Not the only one, but there are very few (5):

In states without bioassay or other requirements, dispose of alkaline batteries as non-hazardous solid waste with general refuse according to RCRA regulations.
    In states with bioassay requirements (Alaska, California, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Washington), alkaline batteries are classified as hazardous waste and can be disposed through the DRMO or through local contract.
    Yes, but several states (as in most) have drop off locations and encourage recycling b/c it is hazardous.
    Thanks,
    Justin

How many kids do you have... Sounds like your battery is always charged and working to full potential
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3