Thread: Crystal Ball - The Future of Your DJ Business

Crystal Ball - The Future of Your DJ Business

Do you see it growing steadily. A lot more events. More staff. Higher prices, with semi or yearly price increases. Or, is it stale or in decline inquiry/booking dropoff and rate reductions due to a lot less people seeking to hire a professional Dj over the free or cheap venue system or friend DJ. Is it worth the tremendous time and hassle and huge must play song lists anymore?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

My DJ business has neither gained in sales or dropped in sales in the past ten years or so. But has remained consistent with about the same numbers steadily. I don't see much change in growth in the coming years, however I would be disappointed if there were much of any drop in business activity either.

I don't anticipate the DJ service business ever going away. Brides and companies still want, and will pay for quality DJ/MC skill and talent. As a business owner, you just need to keep up music trends and fashion/styles and an upper edge in entertainment ability. Do a good job, get great reviews and your phone will never stop ringing.

I am a multi-op as is now, but I can't see an incline in staff or any significant rate increases. The business is setting at a very comfortable position and I feel it is worth the time and hassle (which is minimal), and must playlist have never been an issue, I rarely get a huge list. Most brides are happy with leaving the song choices to my professional judgement.

In my servicing area, I haven't noticed venues choosing to invest in their own sound systems.

Each area has differences. Our company is doing well, although, a lot of my DJ associate friends that are really good have quit the business saying it's too hard to get enough bookings at decent pay. They say so many inquirers want great quality/service at a cheap price.

Some of the DJs I know that charged starting at $2-4K for years and were getting it for the mere basics have said that is no longer the case. Those clients are getting less and less. Sure in a big city with a boom in high paying jobs that may be different. But those markets are already served with a load of DJ to choose from and they have an in (payola?) to get the leads from high end venues.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Grad Parties, Birthday Parties, Summer Pool Parties...ALL DOWN over the past few years. When I do get an inquiry, people are very price conscious, and don't want to even pay $400 for 4 hours. Sadly, they find a DJ who will tell them they will DJ their party for $150 or $200 with no deposit, and no agreement...CASH at the party paid to the DJ when they get there, and honestly it seems MOST of these inquiriers are choosing to go with these guys.

This is the slowest summer we have seen, well pretty much ever when it comes to parties. The prices are way down on these events, and fewer of these events are happening. Most Communities are not bothering throwing a Annual Summer Pool party any more.

Outside of that, as far as weddings go, Wedding Business is about the same as previous year, but I personally am down by a couple of weddings because September is DEAD this year for some reason. Not a lot of inquiries for September weddings this year. Due to that, my numbers will end up a bit lower than last year. Other than that, it's same old same old. Can't compete on price, and will enjoy having more weekends off this year compared to previous years unless I book some late booking weddings.

First let me say thanks for this topic again. The DJ business will never die. Someone or some place will always need a DJ. A bar, club or private event will be in need of a DJ. This is just what happened last weekend. A friend called me about doing a job he didn't feel comfortable with doing. The event was for a grad party for a 29 year old. The party was to be on July 9th. The event was to be at the parents house in Englewood, NJ. The father wanted a DJ to do the event for 3 1/2 hours. It was to be for 20 people. Ultimately the guy is someone that my friend knows from doing past events for his organization and him personally. He contacted my partner and it was a no go. I live in East Orange, NJ and my partner lives in Newark. We don't live that far from each other. They discussed the price and the guy didn't want to pay a lot of money because only 20 people were to attend the event. He wanted to pay $150. My partner decided that wouldn't do. He told me this and wanted my opinion. I was fine with his decision.

To be fair here people that know me from here know that in the past I would have jumped at doing the job for that price. Today that's not acceptable. Reason being is all those types of gigs and clients would lead us to is the next client wanting to pay hardly anything for us to DJ an event for them. What it comes down to is where you're at with your business. Some of you are not desperate for work and have no problem turning jobs down. What you can charge has to do with what people think you are worth and your ability to be able to show people why you're worth a certain price. One thing that will never go away is clients that are looking to book a DJ for a ridiculously low price like I mentioned. I feel for a beginner just starting out looking to make a name for themselves that's fine because nobody knows about them. If you don't want to deal with those people then you need to target your business to people you want to work for that will pay what you want to be paid.

Such clients will never go away and from time to time some of you will get those clients contacting you about doing an event for them. When you build your business up enough you will find less and less people like that will look to contact you because they know you won't even consider doing their event for such a cheap price. The reason I was OK with him turning down that gig is because I no longer am running on desperation mode. I don't allow my financial state to dictate to me today. I used to do such gigs to make some fast quick money when I was broke. I stopped doing this because at the end I wasn't making enough money after the event was over to justify doing the event. After all was done I would still be left being broke. I had it so bad that there were times when we would have to scrape up gas money or money for a battery for the cordless mic. Bottom line is time for a change.