Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get the Soundcraft Ui 16 digital mixer.

Looking to get the Soundcraft Ui 16 digital mixer.

How many are using digital mixers? I am looking at a Soundcraft digital mixer which will allow me to stay in the audience permanently and not have to rush back to my system to adjust sound.
    Acer Aspire All In One ZC -700G computer
    Behringer Inuke 3000DSP power amplifier
    Yamaha MG10XU mixer
    Rockville UM3200 dual wireless handheld mics
    EV ZX1 speakers
    Dell Latitude D520 laptop

I bought a Behringer XAir XR12 to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    I bought a Behringer XAir XR12 to play with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's one way to keep your fingers busy

Soundcraft is fine quality.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

I was considering the xr12 but I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have an RCA input. My sound card has RCA outs. It is one of the reasons why I am replacing my powered mixer with separate components. I actually was looking at the Yamaha MG16XU but thought it would make sense to go with a digital mixer with the controls on my computer and then remote desktop it to a tablet so that I can control everything from the audience. I have already used the remote desktop with my karaoke player and it has been pretty much a success. The only thing that is keeping me from being completely digital is the fact that right now I still have to go to my system to adjust the mix between the vocals and the music but a digital mixer would solve that and since my sound is already pretty good, imagine how much better it's going to be with me being able to control it instantly from the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyG2001 View Post
    I was considering the xr12 but I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have an RCA input. My sound card has RCA outs. It is one of the reasons why I am replacing my powered mixer with separate components. I actually was looking at the Yamaha MG16XU but thought it would make sense to go with a digital mixer with the controls on my computer and then remote desktop it to a tablet so that I can control everything from the audience. I have already used the remote desktop with my karaoke player and it has been pretty much a success. The only thing that is keeping me from being completely digital is the fact that right now I still have to go to my system to adjust the mix between the vocals and the music but a digital mixer would solve that and since my sound is already pretty good, imagine how much better it's going to be with me being able to control it instantly from the audience.
    Ok, after further thought I decided that getting the xr12 is the best choice for my budget. I will be financing my purchase and what I need to get, mixer and amplifier, the Soundcraft mixer puts me over budget without having to purchase adapters to connect my computer to the mixer. The Behringer mixer with the adapters for the audio input to the mixer and the output of the amplifier and the amplifier itself is just inside the budget that I have. Besides that I can take a look at how the app for controlling the mixer is going to work out with remote desktop so I can control the mixer and my karaoke and DJ players, I use DJ player loosely because for my needs, I use Winamp as my player for regular non-karaoke songs. It gives me better control of stopping the song before going back to karaoke when the regular song ends. I only play regular music in 3 song sets between rotations. But that's just my preference. If I really had my way it would still be computerized karaoke but done totally American traditional karaoke, the way that it was ran when I first started over 20 years ago.

I have the UI16, Xr12, XR18 and mackie 1608. I like the soundcraft the best of all of them. The UI16 did not have enough inputs for me so I got the XR18. I am considering upgrading again to UI24. There is nothing wrong with the Xair mixers I just love the lexicon FX on the soundcrafts. I will make a great deal if interested in the XR12 or the UI16. Both are barely used
    Rusty
    Partyman

"Helping the world have fun...one party at a time!"

www.partyman.net

Ok, I decided that I was going to end up giving up too much with the Behringer so I decided to go with a smaller version of the Soundcraft mixer, The Ui12. While it's not rack mountable, at least from what I can tell, I have an idea of how to set it up . Since I am not going to be touching controls on the mixer itself except for maybe the main volume knobs, I can almost place it in the back of my rack.

I guess that I can't seem to really make up my mind. I want to pull the trigger on the Soundcraft mixer but I don't want to buy it and when I get it not be able to use it in the manner that I want. I only want to be walking around with one tablet. I already run my shows using the tablet and remote desktop with my computer. I want to have the screen to show the controls for my DJ music player, the rotation controls for my karaoke player and the controls for my mixer. That would allow me to easily run the show from the audience totally. It would probably make it easier for me to chaise down the next singer or a runaway mic as well. Not that I have had to have done the latter in the 20+ years that I have been running karaoke. I have decided that if I do pull the trigger, it's going to be on the fully rack mountable Ui24X. The biggest reason, aside from that it's rack mountable, I am leaning towards the Ui24X is that I would regain being able to connect my computer to the mixer aaudiowise with just a USB cable.

Comes down to the feature set you need. A tablet is NOT ideal to have multiple apps running simultaneously. Trying to switch between apps while you're walking around to adjust a volume will be difficult.
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Comes down to the feature set you need. A tablet is NOT ideal to have multiple apps running simultaneously. Trying to switch between apps while you're walking around to adjust a volume will be difficult.
    I will only be running one app on the tablet. All the apps on the tablet screen are actually running on my computer. The tablet will be running a remote desktop application only.

I will only be running one app on the tablet. All the apps on the tablet screen are actually running on my computer. The tablet will be running a remote desktop application only.
    But .. you still need to switch between apps on the tablet to SEE those various things running remotely. Not easy to do that quickly if someone needs to have a volume control pulled down immediately (from personal experience).

Basically the mixer controls. My Rotation window and the player part of Winamp are going to be accessible at all times without having to minimize anything. The playlist and media library for Winamp will pop up when needed. I don't need to see what is playing or coming up in Winamp at all times. The mixer controls will be at my disposal the whole time I am running the show.

13. I could not offer the level of service I have without the Ui16s. Certainly the best investment I have made, even with it's initial growing pains.

The Soundcraft Ui16 and Mobile DJs. A Review.: https://pariscreative.com/the-soundc...-djs-a-review/
    Lou Paris | Paris Creative

What you are trying to do is gonna be very difficult (on top of Steve149s points). You will have to have your own private network that has internet. The UI mixers connect through the browser and cannot use internet at the same time, so that knocks out the UI mixers. If you choose to piggyback the venues network then you could make the Xair mixers work (very tricky) but you are gonna be on a public network and at the mercy of its weaknesses. The only way I can see would be with 2 tablets, 1 running virtual desktop and other running mixer.
    Partyman

"Helping the world have fun...one party at a time!"

www.partyman.net

I was going to use the Ethernet connection for the mixer and then WiFi for the remote desktop. At least that is my plan. You are saying that I can't hook up the Ui24X through an Ethernet connection and run WiFi at the same time. That bites. I could use my cell phone for the mixer since it does have the capability to work that way, I know that I can't do that with the remote desktop because the interface would be too small. I had considered a Mackie digital mixer but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't rack mount it and the xair doesn't offer the right connection for the audio input between my Computer and the mixer.
    Yamaha MG10XU mixer
    EV ZX1 speakers

I have some experience with the XAIR. Lots of little quirks, but works great. Used it 15 times now, and it is my main cocktail, dinner and separate sound system setup.

Call me and I can get you started (469) 583 7346.

When you use the ethernet, you are connecting the ethernet to a better access point via through a better device. So you are still connecting via wifi, but through a much more reliable, secure, and further range signal. I use the Apple Air Port express, but also had to buy a switch port to make it work. I think that has something to do with the Apple Airpot, as most people did not have a problem with other routers.

But the Air Port express was a MUST for me b/c not only do I use it for the access point, I use it to send music via Airplay. It's pretty cool how I can do it all via Ipad.

I would NOT use your android as it is simply not big enough. You need real estate.
    Thanks,
    Justin

I had totally ruled out the Xair because of the fact that it doesn't have the 2 methods of connecting audio from my computer, I only use external sound cards because the internal ones are so inferior in sound quality. With the Soundcraft mixer, I have the choice of both ways that I can hook up to it, either RCA or directly. I actually prefer the directly approach because it pretty much is all digital signal into the mixer. If I can't do it with using remote desktop with the controls of the mixer taking up a little bit more than half of the screen sideways and all of the vertical of the screen of my computer's desktop, I would rather go back to controlling everything and using the tablet as a portable kiosk. It means that for the first few seconds of the song and the last few seconds, I have to be at the machine but I guess that is what I am going to have to do. It also means that if I am fifty feet away getting requests, that I am going to have to train my roommate to know what to do to deal with feedback if someone disrespects my equipment to purposely point the mic directly into the speaker. Actually, I am going to instructions her to mute the mic and stop the song because if they disrespect any of the equipment that is a banable offense in my rulebook. I don't tolerate mic drops, or any intentional disrespect of my equipment.
    Yamaha MG10XU mixer
    EV ZX1 speakers

I had totally ruled out the Xair because of the fact that it doesn't have the 2 methods of connecting audio from my computer, I only use external sound cards because the internal ones are so inferior in sound quality. With the Soundcraft mixer, I have the choice of both ways that I can hook up to it, either RCA or directly. I actually prefer the directly approach because it pretty much is all digital signal into the mixer. If I can't do it with using remote desktop with the controls of the mixer taking up a little bit more than half of the screen sideways and all of the vertical of the screen of my computer's desktop, I would rather go back to controlling everything and using the tablet as a portable kiosk. It means that for the first few seconds of the song and the last few seconds, I have to be at the machine but I guess that is what I am going to have to do. It also means that if I am fifty feet away getting requests, that I am going to have to train my roommate to know what to do to deal with feedback if someone disrespects my equipment to purposely point the mic directly into the speaker. Actually, I am going to instructions her to mute the mic and stop the song because if they disrespect any of the equipment that is a banable offense in my rulebook. I don't tolerate mic drops, or any intentional disrespect of my equipment.

There all kinds of wrong in your comment. BTW, I use 1/4 to 1/8 from my commuter and it works perfectly. There is no second way. I use a few apps and have full control.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Doesn't really matter because I scrapped the digital mixer idea and the remote desktop. My hotspot will only be used for a mobile kiosk using my tablet and for downloading on the fly using a separate computer.
    Yamaha MG10XU mixer
    EV ZX1 speakers

so you are not using the wireless part at all?
    Thanks,
    Justin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast