Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Me loving some Meyer subs

Me loving some Meyer subs

I have been doing this venue a lot, and it definitely holds 500 people (outside) and the Bose does incredibly well, but the bass does drop off as the dance floor is close to 75 feet away from the speakers. When the L1 is not blocked and there is a clean line, they throw really far.

So this time, with a 200+ rowdy crowd, I rented the Meyer 700hp, and was pleasantly surprised they come in stacks for rentals. I only paid for one, haha.

These subs are insane, a little odd with no volume attenuator on the sub though.

If any of you get the chance to rent these, DO IT!

Thanks,
    Justin

What did you run as tops with these?
    Ross Anderson
    DJ & Managing Director
    Bela Sono Music

Quote Originally Posted by YourDJBuddy View Post
    What did you run as tops with these?
    Oh, I thought that was clear. My bad. Bose L1. It matched really well, of course I was not pushing the Meyers all the hard, even though I felt my organs shifting around.

Look really closely and you will see them. Front L and R (Light mounted on top).
    Thanks,
    Justin

I've heard lots of Meyer cabinets over the years. It's the cream of the crop. When guys tell me they have the highest quality gear and say they use Bose, Mackie, Yamaha, even QSC and JBL I have to laugh. No you don't. Get some Meyer, Martin, EAW or Danley then you can start saying that.

Was your need for the extra bass a client request (they paid extra for it) or your choice because you felt lacking with what you typically have and charge for?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Yea, Meyer don't fool around when it comes to high end PA. So that is 4 18" drivers...what did you drive the subs with, or were they powered cabs?

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I've heard lots of Meyer cabinets over the years. It's the cream of the crop. When guys tell me they have the highest quality gear and say they use Bose, Mackie, Yamaha, even QSC and JBL I have to laugh. No you don't. Get some Meyer, Martin, EAW or Danley then you can start saying that.

Was your need for the extra bass a client request (they paid extra for it) or your choice because you felt lacking with what you typically have and charge for?

Ya, Meyer is cream of the crop. Danley is also really good, but I can never get as good of a deal.

Ha, it is NEVER the request from the client. They don't tell me if I should bigger speakers. I guarantee adequate sound, and 95% of the time, the Bose is phenomenal, and more than I need.

So I rent on occasion, and the client has no idea that I even did it.

Instead of me going out and spending tons of money on extra bass (subs), I rent them when needed, including cabling, setup, deliver, breakdown, and an on site tech.

The result is awesome, and it is a very full sound, as it would be in smaller areas with my setup.

I am doing it again next week, with 300+ people (inside). However, I did make the client pay for risers for my station, which also gets the L1 up so people don't block it). Hopefully I don't tear the walls apart next week.

Two of those subs can mess you up, and I am not kidding.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Randy L View Post
    Yea, Meyer don't fool around when it comes to high end PA. So that is 4 18" drivers...what did you drive the subs with, or were they powered cabs?
    Meyer only makes powered speakers.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Ahhh...great to know!! Thanks for the clarification!

Looks like The Fess Parker Doubletree in Santa Barbara. Beautiful location.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Yes, correct Jonathan! Sound gets sucked up there b/c of its size and openness.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Yes, correct Jonathan! Sound gets sucked up there b/c of its size and openness.
    That place sucks. You said it first.

As Djs, should we quote higher for a Sucks Fee.
    That is places that are a real pain for load in or require more gear to get the sound right.

Guess I'll start a Sucks thread.

That place does not suck, it's made me 10s of thousands.

Just charge more overall and when you need to rent, rent.

Charging more for a hard load-in is a joke, and charging for more sound will never work when other DJs don't. You end up looking like the odd DJ who is trying to up sell something they don't feel they need or nobody else is doing. It's just bad business.
    Thanks,
    Justin

That place does not suck, it's made me 10s of thousands.

Just charge more overall and when you need to rent, rent.

Charging more for a hard load-in is a joke, and charging for more sound will never work when other DJs don't. You end up looking like the odd DJ who is trying to up sell something they don't feel they need or nobody else is doing. It's just bad business.
    Only Djs think like that. Oh, you need 8 speakers not 2 due to the venue needs, DJs says that's free - don't want to lose the booking. Bang on the head.

Caterer, oh you want a veggie platter and cheese tray too, we have a pricier plan that includes that. Client says okay, we'll take it, after all we are saving on the DJ that doesn't charge more to bring it a lot more gear. Think I'll tell then we need 4 huge subwoofers too and an extra setup in the parking lot too.

Your dead wrong. It has nothing to do with DJs thinking...

Clients do not give a F*** how many speakers they need nor do they want to be told they need more. They just want it to work and sound good. I can promise you that if it is between you and me, and I am telling the potential client, I don't charge or have hidden fees, and you are telling them that they need more sound, who do you think is going to get the gig?

What you are not understanding is my clients don't know when I bring in more gear.

I charge accordingly, and budget for about 10 rentals a year.

With all due respect, my prices are most likely still higher than your DJ rate, with whatever charge you have for extra gear, so I am defiantly not steeping low to get a gig.

When I said other DJs don't -- I mean other DJs chose NOT to provide sound as they don't think they need it, so there is no talk about ading speakers or other charges.

You gotta know your market, and what other DJs in the area do. It's all part of business.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Ya' Dead wrong. It's not knowing the market, it's knowing what solution to present to each "individual client/venue location" and charge for the overall need/setup requirements.

One, two, or three sound setups have a different rate. So does adding subwoofers for a wedding, so does adding more wireless mics beyond 2, so does further travel, so does more staff needed to do the job...... Most don't want hard hitting pant rattling subwoofers so it's a rare add-on, most venues won't allow them or constantly say turn the bass down or off.

I am not being clear-- The individual DOES NOT care about how many speakers or subs or mics, etc. They just want to hire a complete DJ service, and how much it cost (not considering anything else here like actauly DJ skils, customer service, etc.)

You could tell them 1 speaker or 10. To them, it's the same thing.

Also, more staff is entirely irrelevant. That's on you. Convincing a potential client to pay you more to bring an assistant is ridiculous.

Rocky, how much do you charge for a wedding? What is your base price? DJ for 6 hours including two sound systems, 2 mics for ceremony, 2 mics for reception.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Also, more staff is entirely irrelevant. That's on you. Convincing a potential client to pay you more to bring an assistant is ridiculous
    Tell that to a Dj or sound company that is under a union bind. Send more than 1 person out, you are charged for each additional, that does work relevant to the event.

I rarely have an issue selling more of this and that. I ask for it is why. They want me mostly, the other stuff is just like mushrooms on a steak or hamburger it costs more if you want beyond the basics/typical. The customers says I just want a hamburger. Do you want cheese, bacon, or a better dipping for your fries. Oh, I have to pay for better, people normally don't say that, they just say add the cheese and expect to pay more. So goes for DJs that run a business with a profit making model. Want more cheese (speakers or whatever) it costs more. The end!

I agree with Justin .. give a quote for what you need .. or price yourself so your average costs will take care of 99% of what you do. A client is not going to know whether they need a delayed set of room speakers.

If you price to the average (or slightly above), it shouldn't matter whether you need to add subs or remote speakers or a 3rd mic. Pricing a la carte invites price shopping. But it's certainly up to you to decide what works best.

There are certainly some pieces that can be identified as separate .. photo booth, remote locations, etc., but I will estimate 80-90% of events are similar enough to provide a baseline cost (productions aside).
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Therefore the bulk of events that don't need much beyond the basics is being overcharged so those that need more can have it for the same rate. Sounds sort of like a Government Plan.

The key is to educate them before spewing out a number, now you know what to provide and they better understand you are more than 2 speakers and a button pusher. To this day the meeting almost always gets them to say we never thought of the things and extra services you brought up. DJs that gave us a quick quote probably don't care enough to get detailed with us like you did. We like that, you're hired. And they spend a lot more than originally budgeted.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Tell that to a Dj or sound company that is under a union bind. Send more than 1 person out, you are charged for each additional, that does work relevant to the event.

I rarely have an issue selling more of this and that. I ask for it is why. They want me mostly, the other stuff is just like mushrooms on a steak or hamburger it costs more if you want beyond the basics/typical. The customers says I just want a hamburger. Do you want cheese, bacon, or a better dipping for your fries. Oh, I have to pay for better, people normally don't say that, they just say add the cheese and expect to pay more. So goes for DJs that run a business with a profit making model. Want more cheese (speakers or whatever) it costs more. The end!
    It's the Dj that is afraid of hearing no that tosses out a number or has a set rate, perhaps due to fear if they say more costs more then they can't sell the reason/benefit for the more. So they give everything, which may not be needed or to little due to lack of having the goods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast