Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volume control knob for line level to a speaker

Volume control knob for line level to a speaker

I currently use a RapcoHorizon Laptop Interface LTIGLBLOX as a volume control hookup out of my laptop to a K10. This requires me to use channel 1 in mic mode, xlr to xlr all the way. I'm now searching for a like kind volume control setup that will let me convert to line level instead, so I can use is it on channel 2 to control the laptop volume and leave channel 1 free for a microphone.

Suggestions?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Any ideas on what will work or where I can buy such a thing?

wait, what?! You adjust your volume via the volume control on your computer and via the app you are using.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Perhaps you need something like the Cloud Microphones CL1 Cloudlifter. An ART Tube MP is a bit cheaper but larger.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I currently use a RapcoHorizon Laptop Interface LTIGLBLOX as a volume control hookup out of my laptop to a K10. This requires me to use channel 1 in mic mode, xlr to xlr all the way. I'm now searching for a like kind volume control setup that will let me convert to line level instead, so I can use is it on channel 2 to control the laptop volume and leave channel 1 free for a microphone.

Suggestions?
    BTW, I hope you realize you can use the left XLR on a K series in line mode, just toggle the little slide from mic to line. XLR is not limited to mic. The laptop output is line level .. the output of the RH box is line level (balanced XLR) .. you don't need a mic input.

edit - I take it back .. the RH IS balanced mic output (which makes NO sense). There are better boxes that will balance the signal and leave it at line level.

This is a better RH box for a laptop .. http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-18-lti-100.aspx
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

How about an adapter? He's looking for something with a volume control BTW! How about one of those DBX GoRacks?
    Bob DeYoung

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    wait, what?! You adjust your volume via the volume control on your computer and via the app you are using.
    I like the smoother control a slider or knob allows for over tapping or clicking. The goal is to go less a mixer and fade up and down as needed with a single knob for a basic ceremony or cocktail hours that just needs 1 mic/channel one, music channel 2.

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    BTW, I hope you realize you can use the left XLR on a K series in line mode, just toggle the little slide from mic to line. XLR is not limited to mic. The laptop output is line level .. the output of the RH box is line level (balanced XLR) .. you don't need a mic input.

edit - I take it back .. the RH IS balanced mic output (which makes NO sense). There are better boxes that will balance the signal and leave it at line level.

This is a better RH box for a laptop .. http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-18-lti-100.aspx
    I already knew what you wrote and edited. Why it's mic out is silly. Otherwise a nice unit.

LTI-100 may work although at that price may as well stick with a small Yamaha mixer. I wonder if the left xlr out will deliver mono-summed (l/r) to channel 2 on the K10? Or, how there mono button works?

Something like the LTIGBLOX or LTIBLOX but line level would be ideal. Any only $45.

I already knew what you wrote and edited. Why it's mic out is silly. Otherwise a nice unit.

LTI-100 may work although at that price may as well stick with a small Yamaha mixer. I wonder if the left xlr out will deliver mono-summed (l/r) to channel 2 on the K10? Or, how there mono button works?

Something like the LTIGBLOX or LTIBLOX but line level would be ideal. Any only $45.
    Ideally, you'd be using a small USB soundcard for output, as most laptop headphone jacks have lousy audio.
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

most aer lousy, but my Macs are pretty darn good! I would never describe the output lousy. No worse than a typical Serato controllers quality.
    Thanks,
    Justin

most aer lousy, but my Macs are pretty darn good! I would never describe the output lousy. No worse than a typical Serato controllers quality.
    OK .. maybe the Mac is OK, but most Windows laptops are no where near as clean sounding through the headphone jack as they are through a decent USB audiocard.

well said. Most Windows laptops can't compare unless you spent $1,000+
    Thanks,
    Justin

Do you need to sum to mono like the Rapco unit you have does?
    Bob DeYoung

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    Do you need to sum to mono like the Rapco unit you have does?
    Ideally since only one channel of the speaker is for mic and one for music. If an oldies track I may lose the vocals in the music if it is not. So L/R need to combine into one input.

Ideally since only one channel of the speaker is for mic and one for music. If an oldies track I may lose the vocals in the music if it is not. So L/R need to combine into one input.
    Run you music via Mono. I have the option selected for every device and app.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Run you music via Mono. I have the option selected for every device and app.
    Yep! Running in mono. Searching for a knob to turn for volume adjustment so I don't have to reach up to the speaker. For bigger ceremonies, more than one mic needed I use a mixer. For small ones where I use a generator/power pack I want to keep the equipment minimal but sufficient. That's why I want an in-line volume control over a mixer. The search continues.

So where you be sitting/standing with this inline wire. Probably a 25 ft cable?
    Thanks,
    Justin

So where you be sitting/standing with this inline wire. Probably a 25 ft cable?
    Depends on my involvement for this portion of the event. 15-25 foot cable is part of the plan. Depends on what the inline wire/volume knob comes with.

and this is to control the mic volume since you can control the volume of music with the volume button your laptop??
    Thanks,
    Justin

and this is to control the mic volume since you can control the volume of music with the volume button your laptop??
    Wrong!!!!

To more smoothly control the music volume is the plan. Tapping or scrolling on a computer is a bit choppy for me.

The mic volume is fine and preset after testing things with the Officiant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast