Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EV Evolve 50 review and test

EV Evolve 50 review and test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWSDkxVn0SU

Brian Redds has known about this for a little while and got to take it on a test run. I like the fact that it is 7 ft tall when assembled.
    He comments that he had to turn the bass down at the wedding. That's hard to believe with only two 12 inch subs.

The interesting thing about these types of systems is that the subs have to cross higher than normal. Generally somewhere around 160hz because the top speaker has an array of very small drivers not capable of bass. The top is essentially a midrange and tweeter speaker.

In other EV news ... the ELX is going to have an updated version soon. A 12 inch sub is going to be added.
    EV has at least 4 lines aimed at mobile entertainers and they feel that the more choices the offer the better.
    Their ZLX line is now the best selling powered speaker line surpassing the QSC K series in sales.

Surpassing in sales perhaps due to being cheaper or more rebate incentives than QSC. Cheap appeals to a big percentage of the DJs out there.

Now for the reviewers: I suspect they get paid money or gear for their reviews so that may haze way they say.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Surpassing in sales perhaps due to being cheaper or more rebate incentives than QSC. Cheap appeals to a big percentage of the DJs out there.

Now for the reviewers: I suspect they get paid money or gear for their reviews so that may haze way they say.
    Especially the 2 that have the early reviews .. both DJ Jer and Brian Redd got pre-production units and they know where the bread is buttered.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

I believe any in any review, the reviewer's motive should be at least considered.

However, there seems to be a number of cool features on this that has peaked my interest.

It appears that dj Jer was referring to the Bose model 1/classic when comparing features from this item to. Some of the "challenges" he was referring to are not evident in the model 2.
    Scott Hanna, American Entertainment
    wedding dj in cleveland
    440-398-9910 or 877-THE-DJ-4-U
    www.djincleveland.com

Anyone catch a price for this?

On an email blast I received, it didnt have a price but said email them for pre- pricing

I heard it on the grapevine .. $2150 list .. $1600 sell price.
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

There are several companies out there with similar products. EV thinks that there's is vastly different. One of the DJ reviewers stated that this will change the mobile DJ business. I doubt that very much. The CD player was a drastic change for us and so was the controller. Powered speakers has been another change. But to be honest, I don't think that the client even cares about these changes.
    I still see guys playing records and doing just as good a job as a digital DJ.
    At first looking at this I thought that I could do the same thing with a 10 or 8 inch top and two 12 inch subs. I suppose that the advantage of an array is coverage and throw. It's been said that rather than blast the audience in the front row, the array tends to throw the sound better to the rear of the room.
    Also the array tends to have a wider coverage 120 vs 90 degrees. This one also has a narrow vertical throw of 40 degrees compared to the traditional 60. This allows more throw. I have to admit that it's a neater looking setup.
    The key for EV will be a price that is better than Bose, RCF, Turbosound and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    I heard it on the grapevine .. $2150 list .. $1600 sell price.
    I heard it through the grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I heard it through the grapevine.
    No, I printed it out .. it was "on" ..

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    No, I printed it out .. it was "on" ..
    Don't sit on it. Second thought

Sharing my thoughts... and experience.

I have a pair of EVOX 8's. I also have QSC's and some Yami's. I really like the EVOX because I can get them in quick ( 2 on the cart with lots of other stuff stacked on top of those nice square cabs) set up is fast, no scrims needed and really easy to reposition. They sound and look great, there is a little more bass than the K12's by themselves, I think with the Evox being on the floor helps the bass. The QSC's have more power (louder) but I can hear the EVOX throughout a room better than the K12's. I don't like the sound of the EVOX up close, like 10 ft from the speakers because the sound is still split between the lows and highs, then again at that range the K12's are hash. I wonder if I am loosing some mid-tones with the EVOX but then again, the K12 doesn't have a mid range cone either!) Tear down is a wash, the EVOX takes a little more effort than a speaker on a pole. (Remove the wires, removed the top, separate the poles, bag all the wires, pack it all back in the cab and bag.) (before you say it, K's over Subs for a crowd over 200 is way better than the EVOX 8 by themselves)

I watched the vid by DJ Jer, and it looks like you got two bags per speaker and the one with the top and pole is a little fragile and awkward in size. So some of the "quick" setup is lost with the Evolve (now 4 bags to unload and put away.) I like the fact that the array has 3 inch speakers verses 2 inch with the EVOX. Also, I think DJ JER is not so "independent" I have heard him brush off the QSC's, he is a devoted EV user. This is not a "game changer", arrays over subs is not new. I saw a video he did on projector mounts and it was not unbiased. (I have both mounts and it was not a fair evaluation.). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his videos and the time he spends giving advice and recommendations.

I paid $1400 for my Evox 8's (I would like to a white pair, that would look awesome for smaller all white weddings!!) so I think the Evolve will need to be in the same ball park to be interesting. It's a shame that the first couple testers didn't compare them to other speakers as to sound and such.

Stay busy guys!

The first couple of testers are also shills for some of the manufacturers .. that's why they get the products early .. that's why there won't be any comparison shopping.

EV Evolve 50 review and test

I will take bose any day over this. It's funny how everyone is trying to copy them. I agree with above and one of the reasons I decided against the evox is the way it sounds up close. Sounds honky and you can clearly hear the separation between the two boxes, not to mention not nearly loud enough for my taste.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    I will take bose any day over this. It's funny how everyone is trying to copy them.
    I find it funny too how Bose, of late, seems to be "copying," a/k/a begrudgingly acknowledging (see Bose F1 vs. B2 vs B1) the reality that size matters when attempting to effectively reproduce low frequency sound waves for human ears to detect.

I am looking forward to hearing EVs entree into the DJ array arena (they've been in the large format array game a while...since it's infancy in the mid-late 90's)
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

EV had the Evolve 50 playing most of the time at their booth ... and very loudly. The bass unit was pretty good for a 12" .. the top section was fine, though it didn't sound as detailed as the EVOX (though it was tough to tell in the overly-noised room).

They also had all of their DJ level boxes there and have made cosmetic changes so they all look the same from the front .. ELX, EKX, ETX, ZLX, and the Evolve all have the horizontal pill grill.

I did some back of the napkin calculations to compare the Evolve 50s to my trusty Yamaha 15" 2-way boxes.

Total cone area: essentially equal at about 60 sq-in
    Total cone movement: not specified
    Wattage: I just need to remind people that these numbers are useless for comparing powered speakers
    Advertised Max SPL: equal
    Coverage pattern: Evolve 120x40, Yamaha 90x60
    Total weight with stands and bags: Evolve 60 lbs, Yamaha 60 lbs
    Packing volume: Evolve (sub 3.0 cu-ft, top 0.6 cu-ft, case size not known but assume it adds 0.4 cu-ft), Yamaha (4.1 cu-ft for speaker, stands 0.7 cu-ft)

In essence, these two speaker systems are very similar despite their different form factors.

Sound: Can't choose a winner. I haven't heard the EVs. I have a small concern that the use of 3.5" drivers can create lobing issues at the higher frequencies.

Looks: The Evolve 50 wins this one (I hate speaker stands)

Versatility: The 2-ways win. They can be used on their side as monitors. Can the EV's top be plugged into the base without the pole? If not, a big negative for low ceiling height areas.

Portability: EVs win. Total weight is a draw and EVs have a slight edge on packing volume. The EV sub is only 9 lbs less than my 2-way but it doesn't have to be lifted onto a stand. The pieces should also pack more efficiently.

Coverage: Draw. EVs are better when centered on a long wall in a rectangular room. 2-ways are better when situated on short wall of the same room.

Control: EVs win. BT control of the inputs is pretty darned handy.

Mixer: EVs win. More inputs, stereo summing, BT (although I doubt I would ever use BT audio).
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

While the weight is similar, getting 60 pounds up in the air on sticks becomes a much, much bigger difference as you get older.
    Sound? It would have to be a pretty poorly engineered speaker to not have a mid range at least equal to, if not much better than, the typical 15" two-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    It would have to be a pretty poorly engineered speaker to not have a mid range at least equal to, if not much better than, the typical 15" two-way.
    No, not at all. The use of 8x 3.5" drivers is the heart of the problem. There is no horn on these drivers (like a 2-way design would use) and so there is no way to control high-frequency directivity. True line arrays always have complex horn designs that insure a narrow aperture for the high frequency energy and they minimize gaps between boxes. This design doesn't do that and the laws of physics cannot be cheated.

There will be frequency dependent coverage issues with a design like this. It is all a matter of how pronounced these issues are. The easiest test for this problem is to stand directly in front of the speaker at about 10' (in a much larger room) and just do some knee bends. If the midrange sound changes a lot as your head height changes, you are listening to the interference pattern of the drivers. Even the Bose L1s have such issues and they use ~2" drivers. However, with 24 such drivers, it is less pronounced. Other manufacturers have dealt with this by using rows of small tweeters in front of the mid drivers (JBL CBT 70s or Community ENT-FR columns are like this).
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    No, not at all. The use of 8x 3.5" drivers is the heart of the problem. There is no horn on these drivers (like a 2-way design would use) and so there is no way to control high-frequency directivity. True line arrays always have complex horn designs that insure a narrow aperture for the high frequency energy and they minimize gaps between boxes. This design doesn't do that and the laws of physics cannot be cheated.
    ...and right you are, just like you said, for high frequencies, but I'm not talking about that, I said mid-range.

Music is the language of emotion, and while bass gets your foot stomping, the soul of music is in the all important 500hz to 2000hz mid-range frequencies. The typical 15" two-way with a 1.5Khz to 2Khz crossover has way too much of these critical frequencies being produced by the 15" woofer - at high volumes it gives new meaning to the layman's term "mud" - due to, again like you said, the laws of physics. Why do you think manufacturers like QSC offer 15" three-ways (KW153)? What further compounds this is that since the speaker has a 15" driver, people often think they don't need a sub next to a boundary.

There are exceptions. RCF's with big, heavy, expensive compression drivers that utilize low crossover frequencies are one. Unfortunately, however, most 15" two-ways are a Jack-of-all-Trades absolutely Master-of-Nothing loudspeaker. It is truly fortunate that the 18" two-way never caught on with beginning DJ's!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast