Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Tip was off

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    Typo corrected
    Aka, corrected typo.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

P.S. Some "people" are just to delicate that they consider almost any human interaction offensive...punch of bucking fussies.
    Surely it must be that something is wrong with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    Surely it must be that something is wrong with everyone else.
    Exaggeration and conjecture is clearly your medium.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Thinking back to my wedding... if I had $200 cash tip to give the DJ, I would just go give it to the DJ. I know where the DJ is most of the time. The same can't be said about the wedding planner. No need to make this a complicated process.That said, I would suspect something shady from the groom here - either he didn't make his intentions clear to the wedding planner or he is just grinding your gears here - especially once he found out what happened and apparently didn't say anything to the wedding planner either.

It is very common for the wedding coordinator to hand out tips to other vendors. It is usually in a sealed envelope, so it would be pretty obviously if someone tried to open it.

Also, to be clear, a wedding planner is not the same as a wedding coordinator, but that's a totally different topic for a different day.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by DJTrevOSU View Post
    Thinking back to my wedding... if I had $200 cash tip to give the DJ, I would just go give it to the DJ. I know where the DJ is most of the time. The same can't be said about the wedding planner. No need to make this a complicated process.That said, I would suspect something shady from the groom here - either he didn't make his intentions clear to the wedding planner or he is just grinding your gears here - especially once he found out what happened and apparently didn't say anything to the wedding planner either.
    Again, that is pure conjecture and nothing in the OP suggests such to be true.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    A wedding planner is not the same as a wedding coordinator, but that's a totally different topic for a different day.
    Today is a different day. Enlighten us now, or start a separate thread sharing your wisdom. Might as well add a wedding director and wedding entertainment director in the mix for discussion.

Pretty simple Rockin--

Wedding Planners actually plan the wedding and design from start to finish. They are generally are given a large budget, and do the entire thing on behalf of the couple. Gotta have some money to hire a true wedding planner. The planner will hire out everyone, make choices for the client, pay everyone, deal with every contract, etc. It's for people who either want an elaborate wedding, have money, and don't want to be bothered to plan anything theirselves. Think celebrities, wealthy people, or people are just too busy, and trust a wedding planner to make their day as they envision it. The wedding planner basically gets a percentage. Typically these wedding cost well over 100K, so even at just 10%, they are making 10k, and that is on the cheap side.

A wedding coordinator is hired to assist and coordinate the wedding once all the vendors have been hired, unlike a planner who is generally hired first. Of course a coordinator can be hired before all vendors, but their job is to provide assistance and making sure the day goes smoothly. They have to make sure everyone knows where to be at al times, including all the vendors, attending the rehearsal, creating a detailed timeline, and knowing how to deal with problems as they arise on the day of. It's basically a middle person between B&G and vendors. It takes a lot of stress off the couple so they are not worrying about everything, and they can sit back and actually enjoy their wedding day.

Here is the exact list I provide as part of my basic Coordination package

Ceremony & reception walk through at the venue with couple 3-4 weeks prior to the wedding.
    Discuss the final details and develop the wedding-day timeline.
    Attend and supervise a 1-hour rehearsal for the wedding day.
    Obtain copies of all vendor contracts.
    Review and confirm details and timing of events with all vendors.
    Confirm all vendor on-site call times for day-of one week prior to wedding.
    Coordinate on site vendors.
    Ensure that bride and groom, wedding party, family and friends are aware of roles and duties.
    Organize and cue bridal party’s processional and reception entrances.
    Pay balances and gratuities to all vendors.
    Upon coordinator’s discretion, if an assistant is deemed necessary, one will be provided.
    Unlimited contact via email or phone to consult with you at any time during the contracted period leading up to your wedding.
    Up to 10 hours of day-of coordination.

I also offer the following for an additional cost:
    Set-up decor and centerpieces.
    Collect all gifts and deliver to pre-discussed arrangement.
    Collect left-over decor and centerpieces and any other wedding day items and deliver to pre-discussed arrangement.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Pretty simple Rockin--

Wedding Planners actually plan the wedding and design from start to finish. They are generally are given a large budget, and do the entire thing on behalf of the couple. Gotta have some money to hire a true wedding planner. The planner will hire out everyone, make choices for the client, pay everyone, deal with every contract, etc. It's for people who either want an elaborate wedding, have money, and don't want to be bothered to plan anything theirselves. Think celebrities, wealthy people, or people are just too busy, and trust a wedding planner to make their day as they envision it. The wedding planner basically gets a percentage. Typically these wedding cost well over 100K, so even at just 10%, they are making 10k, and that is on the cheap side.

A wedding coordinator is hired to assist and coordinate the wedding once all the vendors have been hired, unlike a planner who is generally hired first. Of course a coordinator can be hired before all vendors, but their job is to provide assistance and making sure the day goes smoothly. They have to make sure everyone knows where to be at al times, including all the vendors, attending the rehearsal, creating a detailed timeline, and knowing how to deal with problems as they arise on the day of. It's basically a middle person between B&G and vendors. It takes a lot of stress off the couple so they are not worrying about everything, and they can sit back and actually enjoy their wedding day.

Here is the exact list I provide as part of my basic Coordination package

Ceremony & reception walk through at the venue with couple 3-4 weeks prior to the wedding.
    Discuss the final details and develop the wedding-day timeline.
    Attend and supervise a 1-hour rehearsal for the wedding day.
    Obtain copies of all vendor contracts.
    Review and confirm details and timing of events with all vendors.
    Confirm all vendor on-site call times for day-of one week prior to wedding.
    Coordinate on site vendors.
    Ensure that bride and groom, wedding party, family and friends are aware of roles and duties.
    Organize and cue bridal party’s processional and reception entrances.
    Pay balances and gratuities to all vendors.
    Upon coordinator’s discretion, if an assistant is deemed necessary, one will be provided.
    Unlimited contact via email or phone to consult with you at any time during the contracted period leading up to your wedding.
    Up to 10 hours of day-of coordination.

I also offer the following for an additional cost:
    Set-up decor and centerpieces.
    Collect all gifts and deliver to pre-discussed arrangement.
    Collect left-over decor and centerpieces and any other wedding day items and deliver to pre-discussed arrangement.
    Sounds good. Are you a DJ Service or a Coordination Service? Perhaps you offer both plans. It appears the Coordination one is where more money can be made. Being in California, where a ton of celebrities are, the client base could keep several companies busy. A small town DJ in other states may not be so lucky due to less wealthy and less celebrity status people within reach.

I hope may agree to a tad of this, a really good DJ/MC can make a planner look good if not better than they really are. We can make the event go much smoother, yet, to the client they may think the coordinator directed it all and the Dj just did what they were told, but not so fast, us very good DJs already knew how and when to do what and with class.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I hope may agree to a tad of this, a really good DJ/MC can make a planner look good if not better than they really are. We can make the event go much smoother, yet, to the client they may think the coordinator directed it all and the Dj just did what they were told, but not so fast, us very good DJs already knew how and when to do what and with class.
    I think that's too phony.
    A DJ can choose to be part of the plan or the source of problems. Being cooperative, intuitive, contributing good/creative ideas, and being easy to work with are all baseline characteristics of a professional. Meeting those expectations does not rise to the level of taking credit for making other people look good.

It's a two way street. The coordinator can just as easily claim they make DJs look good.

A DJ can choose to be part of the plan or the source of problems. Being cooperative, intuitive, contributing good/creative ideas, and being easy to work with are all baseline characteristics of a professional. Meeting those expectations does not rise to the level of taking credit for making other people look good.

It's a two way street. The coordinator can just as easily claim they make DJs look good.
    With lipstick, imagine how good you'd look

I'll defer to your expertise. Obviously not in the "think" department.

A DJ can choose to be part of the plan or the source of problems.
    If you only see those opposing options, you part of the problem.

Being cooperative, intuitive, contributing good/creative ideas, and being easy to work with are all baseline characteristics of a professional.
    ...and who told you?

The coordinator can just as easily claim they make DJs look good.
    Claims are for complaint departments.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Speaking of tips, of the last 8 weddings I've done over the last 3 weeks 7 of them gave a nice tip. Oddly tips can go in streaks, get a bunch in a row then suddenly none for 2 or 3 events then again they come back.

Curious what is everyone's "Receive a Big Tip %". I'd say 60% of the time I get them and sometimes no matter how awesome of a job I do nothing comes in an envelope afterwards. I never expect them but it's nice to receive them as a way of saying wonderful job! A big hug is nice too.

I'll defer to your expertise.
    Finally, something that works in your favor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3