Thread: Possible new show

Possible new show

I have a chance to firm up a two nights a week. From what my friend who referred me to them has told me the show is going to be right up my alley. Straight karaoke with me only getting to sing once to set the base levels. I am going to be getting new mics that should be useful for a long time since they are not going to be UHF or VHF frequencies . I am going digital. The crowd is a singing crowd so I expect to hit my removal out of the rotation mark well before the second rotation.
    I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host, I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman.

From what I hear Karaoke gigs now pay $50-$125 a night and there are a slew of KJs begging for those jobs and battling the rate down to the ground. Hope your pay is much better.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    From what I hear Karaoke gigs now pay $50-$125 a night and there are a slew of KJs begging for those jobs and battling the rate down to the ground.
    That's what some will pay because that 's what some leeching catfish settle for.

Like water, sewerage finds it level.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

50 a night if I am using their equipment. Most regular bars here laugh and say that $100 is too much to pay for karaoke. Sorry for less you better have your own system and library and I will be glad to run it. I can pretty much operate efficiently just about every sound system. Does that mean that I like to do that, no because I know that my system is better sounding than theirs. But I am not dragging my system for anything less than $100. If they want me to make the first dollar amount, I always start with $200. Most of them say that is too much. I then ask what they think they can afford. If it's lower than $100. My response is that I can't do it for that but I can bring my price down to $150. If they say that they can't afford that then I tell them that $100 is the lowest that I go. For two nights, I think that $200 for both nights combined is a good rate.

I mean no disrespect, but your bi-line says it all.

"I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host, I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman."

So,if are a sound tech, using their equipment, their music...... $30~$40 / hour sounds like a good rate, for an unlicensed sound tech.

And who is paying for all of the legal karaoke songs and new adds. $200 will be eaten up fast just for that. Plus, new clothes each week, bars make clothing smell afterwards.

Gee, I have all the staple songs, I don't have to go and buy a lot of songs all at once so I buy them as they get requested and I have had maybe five requests from January so. Plus the fact that this isn't my main income comes into play ās well. My equipment for the most part, I am paying off a pair of speakers and a dual wireless handheld mic system that both will be paid off in December. The rest of my equipment is pretty much paid for, so that money covers my batteries and whatever music gets requested that I don't already have. I quit buying discs for the most part because I didn't want to get any more duplicates than I already have. I guess that I have to add gas to the equation even though I usually don't have to fill the tank every couple of weeks. Plus I don't live an extravagant lifestyle, I am basically a very simple man who is content with what I have and really don't need or want anything else.
    As for clothing, I highly doubt that I am going to have to buy new clothes every week. Heck, I am still wearing the Walmart sneakers that I bought almost a year ago. .

Plus the fact that I love what I am doing. If I thought that it wasn't going to effect other hosts getting paid, I would do all my gigs for free. Unlike a lot of Americans, I am not a greedy person, all I care about is the necessities of life, a roof over my head food, basic clothing, a car to get me to and from wherever I need to go. I don't need any mansion, limo. 5 star restaurant, yaht, summer cottage on Martha's Vineyard etc. Those fancy things are nice but certainly not necessities. I don't need to keep up with the Jones'

I see your point and I'm cool with what makes you happy. Unfortunately, the "this isn't my main income DJs/KJs that say I do this for fun" make it hard for the legit ones that are trying to do it by making a living at it.

I have tried other bars and except for this venue, anything over $75 is laughed at and you get told such and such a bar is paying $50 so I think that I may contact them instead. This is the closest that I have come to my regular bar rate which happens to be $150. Plus this is an American Legion post, not a regular bar and they were the one that actually said that they would be willing to pay $100 a night.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyG2001 View Post
    I have tried other bars and except for this venue, anything over $75 is laughed at and you get told such and such a bar is paying $50 so I think that I may contact them instead. This is the closest that I have come to my regular bar rate which happens to be $150. Plus this is an American Legion post, not a regular bar and they were the one that actually said that they would be willing to pay $100 a night.
    It's sad that the rate has fallen so badly. Good luck with your plan.

Yeah, Too many $50 & beer karaoke hosts out there, I remember when you could get $250 to $300 a show. But that was in the day of the Laser Disc. When CDG became popular the rates dropped slightly because of lowered expenses and when the computer format came along, it made things easy for pirates to load, sell and file share, lowering expenses again. I am just glad that with the arrival of You Tube, the rates didn't go even lower, unfortunately I know of one venue thathas it's own equipment and thinks nothing about using YouTube as their library. Part of the YouTube problem stems from KaraFun, Digitrax and Karaoke Channel putting their stuff onto YouTube. They are cutting their own throats by doing so. Cheapskate hosts think why pay for the songs when I can play them off of You Tube. They don't care about how tacky it looks for them to open up a browser, search for the song and choose it, then place it on pause until the last song ends and move the browser over to the singer's monitor. I mean don't they realize that they are basically saying to an investigator, here I am come sue me. Sound Choice could probably get You Tube to jointly file suit against the venue and the host and the host has no way to disprove the allegations while the investigator can provide solid proof that they are illegally using YouTube and harming Sound Choice's sales.

It's no longer a possible show it's definitely going to happen, I start on Friday night.

It's no longer a possible show it's definitely going to happen, I start on Friday night.
    Wish you well. Sounds like you have the passion to do a great job! Enjoy!

I wonder what the KJz near me are getting. I never asked. I know several of them regularly do weddings for well over $1500. It is hard to imagine they would do a KJ gig for $75. However, if so, I guess that is why some completely change their rotation for a small tip.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    I wonder what the KJz near me are getting. I never asked. I know several of them regularly do weddings for well over $1500. It is hard to imagine they would do a KJ gig for $75. However, if so, I guess that is why some completely change their rotation for a small tip.
    The free beer and a greasy burger and fries thrown into the deal lures them in.

How to get a DJ cheap, offer them free beer and food.

WARNING - HARSH REALITY APPROACHING:

If you are willing to provide work for $150, that you know is worth substantially more if done legitimately and professionally, then you place yourself in the same price range/perceived value as the $50 & $75 desperate and likely illegitimate practitioners...and you will eventually become one.

Y'all are being laughed at because, collectively, y'all are volunteering, actually fighting each other for the "privilege" to be used, disrespected, exploited and all that for no realistically measurable financial gain.

Like beaten animals y'all are cowering in the corner awaiting your next beating.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Speak for yourself, I am the only one who is purchasing all my music the rest are either using hard drives, You Tube or multirigging off of one set of discs which are all violations of copyright laws. They are the ones who set the bar so low since they either have zero expenses or at best the same expenses as I do as a solo operator.

Speak for yourself...
    I would never speak for you.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg