Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your DJ Motivation? Why are you doing it?

What is your DJ Motivation? Why are you doing it?

Today's topic for friendly discussion (fingers crossed)

To begin with:

Are you in this business just to do events now and then? Not too worried about making much money or being busy every week with events.

Are you not to worried about having all of the latest DJ gear and a bunch of add-on services? Simply just want to be a DJ with some speakers and a few lights?

Are you constantly working to promote yourself or way more low key and just let the events come as they will?

Or, are you driven to be one of the best DJs in your area, and focused on charging a respectable sum for that or you'll pass on booking an event (great pay or no play)? Always seeking ways to promote yourself, and always out there hustling for events? Networking, part of associations, finding new ways to market your service, buying new gear often and having the latest add-on services.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

The last statement best describes my business. Looking to keep doing well and providing services at a top notch level. I got into the mobile DJ entertainment services to be the best in my area continuing to keep up with trends, equipment and multiple offerings of add ons. Continue marketing our great skills and talent to remain at the top of the competition.

I'm hustling to continually improve my process, product and reputation. I don't do the flashiest events, but I like being known as a DJ that can execute the crap out of an event, no matter how simple or complicated. My goal is to improve upon all of the little things constantly. Making my set up sleeker, sound better, lighting my dynamic but not more intrusive, mixing cleaner... All of that is really important to me, and it's helped me attract a unique set of clients that appreciate what I do.
    Ross Anderson
    DJ & Managing Director
    Bela Sono Music

My goal is not to be the best DJ, but to be the Best at what I do. Now that I'm older, I do more with less.. I have downsize to mini set up equipment 2 (yamaha 10's top and 2 (12's) subs, I normally just used one sub at a time. As far as lights, it's different from event to event. I use the K.I.S.S. method now. Keep it simple Estuped...!!!
    DJ Mx ONE
    Proud Member Of the U.S. Armed Forces

Great posts from all so far. Yep, the less without sacrificing quality mindset does kick in as we age as senior citizens and beyond. Luckily, our skill set and experience does not fade. Any 80 year old Djs out there? Maybe it does fade by then.

I'm in the last category too, except for the schmoozing events, I tend to stay away from attending those put on a smiley face networking gatherings and hustling for events. Future bookings will come if we do a really good job at our current events. Plus, I turn away many inquiries due to their budget not being anything I want to be of service for.

Now the question is, what is a really good DJ? Each customer has a different take on what impresses them with the service(s) we provide. For some it may be how wonderful our sound system is, others it may be the way we MC, for others it may be we don't show off at events or we play better music than the same old stuff they hear at every other event. We can chat about this if any cares to start it. What makes up a really good DJ?

In the meantime keep up the good posts per this thread, next......

- Full time job and therefore rely on a particular number of events per year based on the avg I typically sell me events at. Around 60-70 events.

- My clientele expects the latest and best in offerings and quality. My weddings tend to fall in the 200+ guest range often, and have a few 300+ ones a year, so sound needs to be on point as well. Some of my clients go out to miami, vegas, and the top clubs around the world and want to replicate that experience as well... and are willing to spend top dollar for it. Some also have very specific visions and want someone that they trust and are confident in to deliver the results, even if it means paying slightly higher than avg. Todays client I met with in the morning is looking at a package with 6 heads, full uplighting for a massive room, photobooth, co2 Canons and guns, dancing on the clouds, confetti blasts, and potentially more later on. That package is over $5k... and they are booking, just confirming confetti is allowed in their venue. I booked another one today with a similar package with only 4 heads, photobooth, co2 guns, dancing on clouds and monogram. That package normally $4200, but with a sunday discount came to $3750.

- I am not looking to be the "best" as that is all subjective and purely opinion. I may be an awesome Wedding dj... but suck at mitzvahs. I know what I specialize in, and I believe I do it very well and can charge a premium for it. I want the clients that think that as well.. and as long as they are calling and booking, then I have to assume I'm headed in the right direction and have the luxury of turning away clients that don't fit my needs. Promotion is key... but I don't need to network to others in the industry... i need to market to potential clients and I can write a book on how I do that lol.

Are those high end clients mostly found through social media or high end magazines or do they find you when doing search for a DJ, and you come up under a specific category?

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Are those high end clients mostly found through social media or high end magazines or do they find you when doing search for a DJ, and you come up under a specific category?
    I don't pay for advertisement in any publication, venue referall list, or online review site (other than free listing which does nothing in terms of reaching out to new clients), and I don't come up high on most google searches unless you include my name taso (meaning you already know who I am). My business comes 80% word of mouth or having directly seen me. The other bits come from YouTube searches, Instagram finds, and maybe a possible google search here and there. As I said in past, my priority is to wow each and every party I do. Not just do the job... but do it in a way that makes people never forget who I am. They are my best set of potential customers. They've seen me in action, they have seen my enhancements in action, are probably in the same economic class as my existing clients, and therefore don't have to worry about pricing.

I booked 3 weddings this week $2700, $3500, and the other one is pending venue approval on certain items so between $3500 and $5k. One has seen me do two events for relatives of his (a sweet 16 and wedding), and knew before he even got engaged I was gonna be their dj. One has never been to an event of mine but heard of me through conversation and knew at least 5 people who've used me and all said I'm the best option out there and when she saw my videos she was hooked, and the third is the younger sister of a friend of mine who I grew up with who had been friends with me on social media and seen all my videos and wanted a similar atmosphere with all the extras (ps the order of the pricing is not relative to the order of the examples given).

Agreed WOM is still king, for me at least. When others recommend our company they most often say make sure your request Rockin' as your DJ/MC, so I'm mostly already sold before they contact me. My personal fee is much higher than the staff and people that want me pay it, those that don't can have a really good staff DJ or look elsewhere. This has worked very well when the inquiry comes in this way.

Now, the run the web price shoppers that aren't familiar with us, that's where I have a tough time making a sell since there are way too many cheaper options out there. Lost a $1295 25th birthday party inquiry a few days ago, she was interested and asked me to hold the date but later called back to cancel and said after calling around she found most where only quoting $400-$500 and gave more hours too plus some lighting. This type of inquiry is always a tough sell a low price and who brings the most gear generally wins.

Are you in this business just to do events now and then? Not too worried about making much money or being busy every week with events.
    That would be me.
    Are you not to worried about having all of the latest DJ gear and a bunch of add-on services? Simply just want to be a DJ with some speakers and a few lights?
    Me again
    Are you constantly working to promote yourself or way more low key and just let the events come as they will?
    I'm the latter
    Or, are you driven to be one of the best DJs in your area,
    Nope
    and focused on charging a respectable sum for that or you'll pass on booking an event (great pay or no play)?
    Wouldn't use the word focus but I am either donating time to a charity or getting my full fee.
    Always seeking ways to promote yourself, and always out there hustling for events? Networking, part of associations, finding new ways to market your service, buying new gear often and having the latest add-on services.
    Nope, too busy with other pursuits
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    Too busy with other pursuits
    Some never grow out of chasing ladies

Some never grow out of chasing ladies
    My harem is as big as I can handle these days.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

For me my friends won't let me retire. I was almost there last year but my friends said what was I going to do to replace it. I couldn't think of a thing to replace it with that I truly would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by djmachoman View Post
    For me my friends won't let me retire. I was almost there last year but my friends said what was I going to do to replace it. I couldn't think of a thing to replace it with that I truly would enjoy.
    Startup a DJ talk board, share your wisdom, and charge a monthly rate. Can be done all from home or your local hangout.

I do it because there's good food.
    When people stop feeding the DJ I'll quit.

Cool

I'm in the DJ business primarily for the passion i have for music , everything is secondary to that .I'm fortunate in liking a huge range of different music genres which has lent itself to being widely booked for lots of different events and different people of many cultures . I have never aimed solely for niche marketing at it would bore me being constrained with the music selection. As far as marketing goes i am quite content to have a laid back approach as I am in it for the music not marketing superficiality and financially not solely dependent on deejaying.

After 37 years of deejaying I still enjoy it and feel a huge satisfaction when keeping a dance floor full with adept music selection , mixing and feel for the songs - when some deejays have stated they are not actually interested in music very much and that deejaying for them is not essentially about the music you realize there's some insanity creeping into the industry and perhaps why the music for the last few years has been generally very diabolical. If deejaying ever becomes not about the music then I'm outta here ..until then

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    I do it because there's good food.
    When people stop feeding the DJ I'll quit.
    Toddlers get treated that way.

Learning how to use a spoon will come with time

Quote Originally Posted by andywilson View Post
    when some deejays have stated they are not actually interested in music very much and that deejaying for them is not essentially about the music you realize there's some insanity creeping into the industry and perhaps why the music for the last few years has been generally very diabolical. If deejaying ever becomes not about the music then I'm outta here ..until then
    I can def admit that I have said this and still stand by the fact that what we do is not about the music anymore... at least not in the sense of how it was say even ten yrs ago. When I started almost 15 yrs ago, yes it was more about the music... technology had not entered the private event industry to the same extent as now. DJ's were still impressing guests with playing the latest cutting edge songs, and it was a race to see who would introduce them to their events first. It was all about finding those hidden gems... I'd spend 30 min a day finding new music back then. However, times change, and those that seek to survive in a fast changing industry need to adapt to survive. People expected more... and that more in the private event industry was NOT music. It was all about lighting, atmosphere/mixing, visual enhancements, multimedia content, graphics, etc. I barely discuss music anymore at meetings like I did in the past... why... well, besides the fact That my particular clientele trusts me for a specific style of music which is perhaps a niche market... to them music is so easily accessible, they can find everything they want and summarize their desires very quickly. They care more about a dj that beatmixes and can maintain the energy with the music they like more than anything if we had to expand on the music. It's the lighting, the timelines, the flow of the night, and design elements that require more attention than ever.

So while I still love music, still love packing dancefloors, and giving people the best party ever, it's a fact that the private event industry has changed. It's the club industry and radio industry where your job is mostly all about the music and perhaps researching music and having an unreleased track or rare edit of a track can possibly make a difference. And that is even changing... older dj's that have been in the club industry for nearly 30 years are complaining how the current generation just doesn't appreciate music the same way as past years. CUrrent clubgoers want a night out of partying and drinking and dancing to tracks they know and are familiar with from the radio or their personal playlists with music they discover.... as opposed to waiting for the dj to drop that new track they never heard of. Years past, people would go to the clubs and bars and listen for the dj's to play never heard before tracks, and some guys got their name because they were known for playing ttracks before they got big. Now that just dont happen.

DJing provides me with opportunities to do good things.

This and others like it are examples:

Plus I get to come around here and annoy deserving deeeeeejays!
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    DJing provides me with opportunities to do good things.

This and others like it are examples:

Plus I get to come around here and annoy deserving deeeeeejays!
    Good job! Those thank you cards do motivate us to keep doing what we do, our way - designed to serve them their way! The only thing is after getting the TY card I don't follow-up with a thank you for the thank you card. I don't like to pester my clients or beg them for a referral. Perhaps you do follow-up, if so in what way?

Now for Djs yep its fun to tease around with them, so many are so sensitive and cry or get defensive over a tad bit of humor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast