Thread: Mobile kiosk or stationary kiosk.

Mobile kiosk or stationary kiosk.

I just got a new gig but it has only one downfall. I am working behind a counter and really can't go out into the audience like I like to. My options are that I have are that the counter is big enough that I can hook up two laptops and use the video out in cloned mode on a touchscreen display or have my roommate work the audience for me with my tablet taking requests from those who don't have smartphones. The issue with the latter is that my roommate recently had a total knee replacement surgery and I am not sure how mobile she really is and I don't want to set back her recovery.
    I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host, I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyG2001 View Post
    I just got a new gig but it has only one downfall. I am working behind a counter and really can't go out into the audience like I like to. My options are that I have are that the counter is big enough that I can hook up two laptops and use the video out in cloned mode on a touchscreen display or have my roommate work the audience for me with my tablet taking requests from those who don't have smartphones. The issue with the latter is that my roommate recently had a total knee replacement surgery and I am not sure how mobile she really is and I don't want to set back her recovery.
    You can always go back to the little pre-printed slips of paper and a couple printed song books that worked for many years.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

I refuse to go totally backwards. Once I introduce a new technology and it gets accepted, I don't want to deal with why I would choose to use an inferior and obsolete method of accepting requests.

OK .. so if you don't have a helper, then your options are the 2nd laptop, the tablet kept on the counter, paper slips, a smartphone app, or having people tell you directly. I've used them all. The paper slips still work, aren't obsolete (though maybe not as convenient ass an electronic version) and don't require a helper. Remember, it's Waterbury, not NYC.
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    You can always go back to the little pre-printed slips of paper and a couple printed song books that worked for many years.
    What happen to your "Evolve" theory
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    What happen to your "Evolve" theory
    Sometimes the simple answer is the better one. Danny can go back to his tablet once he has a venue either he can move around in .. or he has help. Just offering that when you need to adapt, there are times that going backward is ok.

Using the laptop kiosk worked well Friday night. It's too bad that I only lasted for one show. I was told by a singer who was there on Friday night after I showed up at the friend's show that the post commander has a history of canning people who work for him on a whim even though they did nothing wrong.

Sometimes the simple answer is the better one. Danny can go back to his tablet once he has a venue either he can move around in .. or he has help. Just offering that when you need to adapt, there are times that going backward is ok.
    Back to writing on napkins and if that don't work then stones.

Stones are too messy.

Stones are too messy.
    We are Rolling now.

Stones are too messy.
    We are Rolling now.
    But if they are rollin, they'll gather no moss!
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Using the laptop kiosk worked well Friday night. It's too bad that I only lasted for one show. I was told by a singer who was there on Friday night after I showed up at the friend's show that the post commander has a history of canning people who work for him on a whim even though they did nothing wrong.
    Unfortunately, I have a gig at the end of the month that is going to be my last there because the next day they are closing their doors due to the state being greedy and used the budget deficit to basically evict the service just so they could have the space. I am probably going to wait until after I get my new amplifier to try and pursue another bar gig. I was going to wait until I got the new amplifier before selling the powered mixer that I have been using up until now but I need to use the money that this gig I lost for no good reason has put me in. It totally screwed up my budget. I could have ended the month in the positive had I not been let go. Now I am going to be lucky if a budget item gets paid due to my counting on the gig working out.

Unfortunately, I have a gig at the end of the month that is going to be my last there because the next day they are closing their doors due to the state being greedy and used the budget deficit to basically evict the service just so they could have the space. I am probably going to wait until after I get my new amplifier to try and pursue another bar gig. I was going to wait until I got the new amplifier before selling the powered mixer that I have been using up until now but I need to use the money that this gig I lost for no good reason has put me in. It totally screwed up my budget. I could have ended the month in the positive had I not been let go. Now I am going to be lucky if a budget item gets paid due to my counting on the gig working out.
    Welcome to the DJ and KJ world. Many try it, and soon quit after realizing it is not as easy as it looks.

Welcome to the DJ and KJ world. Many try it, and soon quit after realizing it is not as easy as it looks.
    I have been hosting karaoke for over 23 years. Neither gig was my choice of leaving. One, I was let go because of a bogus reason, The other is closing because the state I am living in decided that that two Mental Health Social Centers was too much grantmoney being too much for the state to pay for and instead of looking at who could survive the grant being cancelled and canceling their grant, they decided that it is the perfect opportunity to take the space occupied by the one that was going to have to close their doors because of the loss of the grant. Neither one of those was caused by anything I did wrong and neither one was because I couldn't handle the job. I ran almost a perfect show operational wise with the exception of my assistant failing to follow my policy of only accepting requests from the person who was going to sing the song which happened to be the guy who hired me.

I have been hosting karaoke for over 23 years. Neither gig was my choice of leaving. One, I was let go because of a bogus reason, The other is closing because the state I am living in decided that that two Mental Health Social Centers was too much grantmoney being too much for the state to pay for and instead of looking at who could survive the grant being cancelled and canceling their grant, they decided that it is the perfect opportunity to take the space occupied by the one that was going to have to close their doors because of the loss of the grant. Neither one of those was caused by anything I did wrong and neither one was because I couldn't handle the job. I ran almost a perfect show operational wise with the exception of my assistant failing to follow my policy of only accepting requests from the person who was going to sing the song which happened to be the guy who hired me.
    Cool, happy future success.

...One, I was let go because of a bogus reason, The other is closing because the state I am living in decided that that two Mental Health Social Centers was too much grantmoney being too much for the state to pay for and instead of looking at who could survive the grant being cancelled and canceling their grant, they decided that it is the perfect opportunity to take the space occupied by the one that was going to have to close their doors because of the loss of the grant. Neither one of those was caused by anything I did wrong and neither one was because I couldn't handle the job...
    Are you looking for mentalheathchat.com?
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Just because I have provided karaoke for Mental Health Social Centers in the past doesn't mean that I need help. In truth, people who have a Mental illness can function in society. They need outlets to be able to come out of their shells. Karaoke is one of the best outlets for that. I am sorry to lose the Mental Health Social Center account mainly because the other center isn't going to meet my demands for getting me to provide it there. They have burned that bridge to the ground by treating me like I'm not a professional. So I have decided that in order to get me to provide karaoke there, I need to be paid. When they hear the rate that I am going to be charging per hour, they are going to try and get me for one hour but that's not going to work out in their favor because I am going to insist on a 2 hour minimum pay whether they have me for an hour or two. And it's going to be my private party rate. I guess that you might be getting the impression that I really don't want to go back there to provide karaoke for them.

Well since I had my tablet that I was using as the mobile kiosk, the decision has been made for me. I may revisit it in the near future but I have other things that are more important to me that I feel needs to be addressed, such as lightening the load on me by separating equipment into two racks. One rack is going to hold everything that is required to do a show whether or not I am using my speakers, powered mixer or hooking up to a house system. While the other rack will contain my main amplifier.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk