Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EV Evolve 50s: Anyone here using them yet

EV Evolve 50s: Anyone here using them yet

EV's new Evolve seems to be a pretty nice column speaker. I particularly like its use of a waveguide to improve directivity. L-Acoustics' Syva is the only other solution in this form factor that does this and they are at a much higher price point. I am surprised to hear no discussion of it on these boards as everywhere else it seems to be all the rage.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

I like how quickly it goes together .. I'm not thrilled with the "look" of the top assembly and the fact you can't adjust the height without changing lower pole segments. They were certainly loud at the DJ Expo, but so was everything else .. so really couldn't judge how they sounded.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

SPL may deter some of us? May not be enough for our regular wedding and party events of 150-250 people?

A fair price for a pair would be? How would it compare to the Bose 801 system?

Note: I do like a lot of EV gear, still have the ND mics and SX-300E speakers in storage.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Thats the problem! A lot of people think of SPL and not how well something can throw in a room. Look at the qsc line array, the spl is lower then lets say a jbl srx815 but it can throw longer.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    Thats the problem! A lot of people think of SPL and not how well something can throw in a room. Look at the qsc line array, the spl is lower then lets say a jbl srx815 but it can throw longer.
    But, we still need a decent spl level in the right frequencies for us Djs. And do those provide it is the original thought?

Better throw may mean less spread, therefore, more cabinets may be needed for our typical jobs. There are lots of things to consider, just "throwing" that out there for discussion here.

Better throw does NOT always mean less spread. I can promise you that my L1s "outthrow my K10s" by a long shot. The spread is also litereally double.

The L1s sound the same 10ft as they do 100 ft.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jaswrx View Post
    Better throw does NOT always mean less spread. I can promise you that my L1s "outthrow my K10s" by a long shot. The spread is also litereally double.

The L1s sound the same 10ft as they do 100 ft.
    I imagine the bass gets weaker at some point. Not the same as standing in front of the cabinet.

K10s may be louder and have better bass, unless of course you are using the sub with the L1.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    I imagine the bass gets weaker at some point. Not the same as standing in front of the cabinet.

K10s may be louder and have better bass, unless of course you are using the sub with the L1.
    of course the bass gets weaker at some point, especailly outside,, but K10s are nowhere near as loud and have way less bass than L1 with even just one B1 setup. I always use subs though, regardless of "tops."

I use F1 Subs, but have used a few in the past.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Using K-10s as a comparative baseline for judging bass production is not a tact I'd consider reliable.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    Using K-10s as a comparative baseline for judging bass production is not a tact I'd consider reliable.
    Have you heard them? The bass in decent for a mid bass in a full range cabinet, but not a low rumble subwoofer bass. Turn on deep and they sound a bit better.

Wonder if L1 can outdo the EV Evolve?

The big selling point for an array is that it can cover the back of the room better. A regular speaker will drop off much quicker as the listener moves further away.
    So a line array is great for an event where the person speaking or performing needs to be heard towards the rear of the room.
    My buddy is a motivational speaker and I convinced him to get a small array and it works out much better for him than say two k12's.
    So with array it's all about throw ..

Have you heard them?
    Yes.

Used them once when the equipment was supplied by the production company and they eventually had to add the KSubs to all three systems, to supplement, A/K/A/ improve, the sound...and even the KSubs did very little, IMnotsoHO.

"Out do " is too subjective.

Given the choice between a dual L1 system with two B2 bass units or 2 EV Evolve 50s, I'd lean toward the EVs.

I have little doubt that the Evolve's 12" woofers will perform more to my liking.

I have used the L1s w B1's, have heard L1IIs the B2s, and also used a dual F1 Model 812 Flexible Array loudspeaker with F1 Subwoofer rig and the sound was always unimpressive for anything beyond ceremony or low volume events, especially and precisely given the price of the Bose rigs.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Quote Originally Posted by bcoffee View Post
    The big selling point for an array is that it can cover the back of the room better. A regular speaker will drop off much quicker as the listener moves further away.
    So a line array is great for an event where the person speaking or performing needs to be heard towards the rear of the room.
    My buddy is a motivational speaker and I convinced him to get a small array and it works out much better for him than say two k12's.
    So with array it's all about throw ..
    What make / model where those arrays that out did the K12.

One of the hardest things about judging speakers is that we often hear the brands we don't own when someone else is in control of the system. For instance, I saw 4 piece band this weekend where each player had their own L1 with bass bins (newer system had a B2, older ones had 2xB1s). The drummer had no PA. The system sounded like crap. However, I can't fault Bose for this. I have no idea how each player configured their speaker. Usually these speakers sound much better.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    I'm one of the rest.

Have you heard them? The bass in decent for a mid bass in a full range cabinet, but not a low rumble subwoofer bass. Turn on deep and they sound a bit better.

They are OK. The bass is not what I would call good sounding bass, especially in DEEP mode.

I imagine the L1 do outdo the EV, simply b/c the longer array. I would love to hear them though. If I find something better than the L1, I am all over it and. will buy multiple. I tired to sell the L1s in favor of the RCF EVOX system b/c of how easy setup would be, but it got nowhere as loud, and didn't sound as good, so there is that.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Direct side by side A to B comparisons is the only way to correctly compare speakers. I'm sure we've all thought something sounded really good but then when a direct comparison was later made our judgment is often proved wrong.

No, this is how you test speakers. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2012/1...sting-lab.html

I have known Sean for more than a decade and have been to his test lab numerous times. One of the things that makes his lab different is that they have ruled out nearly all variables between tests and they actually calculate the statistical significance of their results. The team Harman put together is second to none. That doesn't mean all their speakers are great. They design products for all price points and markets. Some products have significant compromises. However, if you ever heard their M2 monitors ($20K/pair) or even their LSR705, LSR708 speakers, you would know what is acoustically possible when you let science win.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    I'm one of the rest.

In some rooms the speakers us Djs use speakers (Yamaha, Bose, QSC, JBL, etc.) may sound great in other rooms not so great despite it's the same speaker system. So as a "mobile dj" what tricks or enhancers or setup variations do you use to aid in making a poor sounding room sound better for speeches and music?

Less vertical coverage really helps.
    Thanks,
    Justin

In some rooms the speakers us Djs use speakers (Yamaha, Bose, QSC, JBL, etc.) may sound great in other rooms not so great despite it's the same speaker system. So as a "mobile dj" what tricks or enhancers or setup variations do you use to aid in making a poor sounding room sound better for speeches and music?
    The best solution for an acoustic problem is an acoustic solution, not an electrical solution. Speaker placement is my first go-to solution. Placement is typically a compromise between aesthetics and practicality with acoustics getting tertiary consideration. Sometimes that order needs to change. Also, lower volumes tend to help most acoustic problems but it also means adding another speaker somewhere else in the room for additional reinforcement.

In live sound situations, I would sometimes pan the mic away from the speaker it was closest to to fight feedback. I don't know any DJ mixers with a pan control for the mic. However, many have a balance control and if the issue is just with announcements, this could be a handy tool.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    I'm one of the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast