Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EV Evolve 50s: Anyone here using them yet

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    No, this is how you test speakers. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2012/1...sting-lab.html

I have known Sean for more than a decade and have been to his test lab numerous times. One of the things that makes his lab different is that they have ruled out nearly all variables between tests and they actually calculate the statistical significance of their results. The team Harman put together is second to none. That doesn't mean all their speakers are great. They design products for all price points and markets. Some products have significant compromises. However, if you ever heard their M2 monitors ($20K/pair) or even their LSR705, LSR708 speakers, you would know what is acoustically possible when you let science win.
    Well i agree that doing the A-B tests blind is a good idea that further rules out biases, but he then injects his own bias in that he only runs the A-B tests with people willing to undergo his software test course on ""How to listen"".

I'm hoping a local retailer will bring them in so I can try out a pair... Would be great for some of the venue's that are tight on space or application where our Bose compact isn't enough.

So far the reviews I've read are pretty positive.
    last night a CDJ saved my life
    http://www.facebook.com/inthemixcanada

Quote Originally Posted by andywilson View Post
    Well i agree that doing the A-B tests blind is a good idea that further rules out biases, but he then injects his own bias in that he only runs the A-B tests with people willing to undergo his software test course on ""How to listen"".
    The software course actually removes bias from the testing. This software can measure one's acuity to ascertain speaker response issues subjectively. Those that can pass its toughest level are considered "golden ears." Golden ears can be played a piece of music and have one of 12 different frequency bands boosted or cut a small amount and tell you exactly which band was modified. Golden ears exhibit amazing consistency in their subject preferences (even if one golden ear may differ in preference from another). IOW, no matter what order the A-B tests are done in, each golden ear remains over 90% consistent in their preferences. It turns out that most Hi-Fi magazine reviewers brought into their test room had trouble maintaining consistency numbers that were better than random guessing. They are actually very poor judges as a group. Evaluation of this kind of statistical meaningfulness is what makes Harman's testing so unique.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Let me say I heard just a single Evox array speaker with the sub at the NJDJN network meeting and it blew me away. I was surprised at how great it sounded. It was a bit pricey for me but if I had the money and especially in a not so large room, I would easily buy it without any hesitation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2