Thread: Color Blind DJ's rejoice

Color Blind DJ's rejoice

Statistically speaking, I'd venture to say that I'm not the only DJ on these forums who has a certain level of color vision deficiency. The most common form among adult males surrounds the colors green and red.
    That's the problem for me. I can see the red stripes in an American flag and the green grass of a well-manicured putting green, but when it comes to tiny red and green LED's I'm hopeless.
    Even traffic lights give me some trouble (but I'm self-trained to look for the position of the light).
    Now, add this red-green color blindness to the fact that hundreds of charging devices indicate charging states by a single light source that changes from red to green and you get a bit frustrated. As DJ's we have a lot of things charging at one time or another.

To the rescue! Recently I discovered an "App for Dat."

It's called Color Blind Pal.
    http://colorblindpal.com/

Works on a bunch of mobile platforms and it helps me "see" when that little light has turned green. It's free (at least was for my iPhone and iPad), and it does take a bit of time to get the hang of it. You have to monkey around with the settings to get it to give you the best results for your own particular level of color deficiency, But, when you finally get it tuned in-- you feel like a genius!

In case anyone wonders- I have no connection with the developer of this app.

Yep....there's an app for that!

Wonder how long before apps will solve ALL of our problems.
    Hair loss, athlete's foot, bad breath, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea...
    even erectile dysfunction (I was asking for a friend...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    Yep....there's an app for that!

Wonder how long before apps will solve ALL of our problems.
    Hair loss, athlete's foot, bad breath, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea...
    even erectile dysfunction (I was asking for a friend...)
    Identifying yourself as your own friend is merely one additional problem, ain't no app fo dat!...LOL
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    Identifying yourself as your own friend is merely one additional problem, ain't no app fo dat!...LOL
    Sure there is ... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...osphere.psycad
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by tombone View Post
    Now, add this red-green color blindness to the fact that hundreds of charging devices indicate charging states by a single light source that changes from red to green – and you get a bit frustrated.
    This is what kids are for.
    Of course, they're not free. But, I got mine before the aliens gave us digital technology.

I personally hate charger lights . I can not tell on a lot of them when they change . So I feel your pain . I have noticed that sometimes when I have a red kight doing something I will say I hate them they do not show up and my wife says they look great .

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke_Dude_david View Post
    I personally hate charger lights . I can not tell on a lot of them when they change . So I feel your pain . I have noticed that sometimes when I have a red kight doing something I will say I hate them they do not show up and my wife says they look great .
    Yup-- My wife has been my charger light "monitor" for years. Speaking statistically again, women have much better perception of the color spectrum.
    Sometimes if I'm doing my charging in the wee small hours of the night, or out at a gig, I don't have the eagle-eye vision of my wife to rely on. That's why I got so excited about this app.
    Another thing I have done for the past few years is download the operators manual for whatever device I'm thinking of buying. If the manual describes the charging process signaled by a red to green light -- it goes on the bottom of my wish list -- superseded by a similar unit where the charging directions mention "Lights turn off" -- "light turn from red to blue" -- "light stops blinking" -- display indicates "CHRG COMPLETE."