Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Babys crying, People talking really loud

Babys crying, People talking really loud

Is there a phone or a headset that works very well at rejecting noise just a few feet away from the person talking on the phone? I currently have an I-phone 8.

Situation: When at a coffee shop waiting for a client meeting (I usually show up 20-30 minutes early) sometimes my cell phone rings and I answer it. All is quite then suddenly the mom with crying kids walks in or the people in the place start talking really loud as I'm speaking on the phone to an inquiring customer. Or, when at a store a call comes in and it's noisy with people.

It makes me feel the person on the other end of the phone may be thinking this sounds unprofessional with all of the background noise they may hear that I don't have much control over. Or, do people nowadays just accept that as being normal with the cell phone craze crowd. I like providing prompt service, and answer the phone whenever possible. During meetings I turn off my phone if anyone wonders. And nowadays people don't like to leave message therefore I answer when I can so I don't miss a call.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

It makes me feel the person on the other end of the phone may be thinking this sounds unprofessional with all of the background noise
    You are unprofessional !Step outside!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by sonic-vision View Post
    You are unprofessional !Step outside!
    When possible I do. But, if I have my laptop set out it makes it unwise to leave it there. I can take it with me but may lose my table and now have nowhere to sit as the place fills up. Therefore a headset or blue tooth great at noise rejection may be a better solution.

The old days (before cell phones) having a landline phone in a controlled office was so much sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    ...All is quite then suddenly the mom with crying kids walks in or the people in the place start talking really loud as I'm speaking on the phone to an inquiring customer. Or, when at a store a call comes in and it's noisy with people.

It makes me feel the person on the other end of the phone may be thinking this sounds unprofessional with all of the background noise they may hear that I don't have much control over.
    ..and they are correct in that you have chosen a predictably uncontrollable environment in which to conduct alleged professional business. It smacks of the same non-consideration for others that is on display when an adult brings an infant to a stage performance for which silence and attention are the M.O.

Choose your environment more wisely, grasshopper.

Or, do people nowadays just accept that as being normal with the cell phone craze crowd
    What "people nowadays just accept that as being normal" is the amateur threshold to which professionals should not aspire.

YMMV
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

I've had that happen a bunch of times. I finally came up with my own solution.
    If I get the feeling all that ambient noise is going to be heard by the potential client I always say: (name is fictitious)

Patricia, you caught me out shopping and I don't want you to have a hard time hearing me. Can I call you back in (fill in the number) minutes?

I don't say where I am. Say I'm at WalMart-- there are a lot of people that hate WalMart. If I'm at a Coffee Shop-- they may not like Coffee Shops. If I say I'm at a deli-- they may hate meat. You get the drift.

The person calling should feel that you want to devote uninterrupted time for them. Everyone goes out shopping-- which means that person knows that he or she has connected with your cell-phone. People are always pleased to know they have a direct connection instead of an office or home number.

I can't agree with the ROX saying you should choose your environment more carefully (grasshopper)
    When you call a professional on his or her cell phone -- you are by-passing "office" environments. Call a lawyer's cell phone and you might find the lawyer getting a haircut, or out on a golf-course -- or at a Coffee Shop (if you get an answer at all).

Plus-- you should already have the call back number (unless they block that-- which is a rarity).

It makes me feel the person on the other end of the phone may be thinking this sounds unprofessional with all of the background noise they may hear that I don't have much control over. Or, do people nowadays just accept that as being normal with the cell phone craze crowd. I like providing prompt service, and answer the phone whenever possible. During meetings I turn off my phone if anyone wonders. And nowadays people don't like to leave message therefore I answer when I can so I don't miss a call.
    It is entirely unprofessional, and it's also selfishly inconsiderate to everyone in the store or coffee shop. Did you ever consider that the child is crying because of the obnoxious guy on his phone trying to talk over everyone?

I have nothing against meeting potential customers at a coffee shop to chat - but don't act like my local coffee shop, community, and neighbors owe you an office because they don't.

Meet for coffee and a chat but, conduct your office business somewhere else - like in an office.

Thanks. I like that shopping line.

I'm out shopping for a Jaguar, can I call you back

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    It is entirely unprofessional, and it's also selfishly inconsiderate to everyone in the store or coffee shop. Did you ever consider that the child is crying because of the obnoxious guy on his phone trying to talk over everyone?
    Surely you jest.
    Child crying in public places has nothing to do with somebody in the crowd happening to be on a cell phone (even if speaking loudly).
    Now if that person was wearing a clown suit -- maybe.

Child crying in public area is par for the course. Children learn that little trick from the very first months when they grasp the correlation between making noise and getting attention.

P, Tell that to all of the other people (many are business owners too) in there on their cell phones. Shut up this is a coffee shop. No cell phones allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by tombone View Post
    Surely you jest.
    Child crying in public places has nothing to do with somebody in the crowd happening to be on a cell phone (even if speaking loudly).
    Now if that person was wearing a clown suit -- maybe.
    I'm not kidding at all.
    Take your business calls in your own place of business. The coffee shop is selling coffee not renting desk space and your phone behavior has a negative impact on the quality of the social community space they are trying to maintain.

I'm not kidding at all.
    Take your business calls in your own place of business. The coffee shop is selling coffee not renting desk space and your phone behavior has a negative impact on the quality of the social community space they are trying to maintain.
    Coffee shops have been meeting places for all sorts of business related matters since coffee shops were first invented. Don't forget the OP had to do with what happens when you take a business call on your cell phone.
    So-- you are advocating if we use our cell phones that we only answer them in our "office?"
    Hmmmm -

Coffee shops have been meeting places for all sorts of business related matters since coffee shops were first invented. Don't forget the Op had to do with what happens when you take a business call on your cell phone.
    So-- you are advocating if we use our cell phones that we only answer them in our "office?"
    Hmmmm -

You said "meeting place" and if you're on your cell phone the person is obviously not there meeting with you.

I'm advocating that when you answer your cell phone you get out of my face, and out of my space. You can choose not to be rude, and I can choose not to lower my expectations.

Just hope P doesn't flush the toilet when in his make shift office, that's borderline unprofessional And could send the wrong message and leave a bad taste.

Just hope P doesn't flush the toilet when in his make shift office, that's borderline unprofessional And could send the wrong message and leave a bad taste.
    I make it a point to never flush a toilet while I'm on a cell call with a client. I just leave whatever it is in the bowl sit there until I get off the phone.

I make it a point to never flush a toilet while I'm on a cell call with a client.
    I make it a point not to answer a call while I am taking a dump. This thread has Turned to Sh**
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by sonic-vision View Post
    I make it a point not to answer a call while I am taking a dump. This thread has Turned to Sh**
    Sorry-- I was just joking. I thought humor was allowed on these forums.
    The last thing on my mind while in a toilet is to answer my phone.

That's what the Mute button is for ....
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, Yamaha DXS12, RCF EVOX 8

I've had an office front location on a commercial street ever since being in business, so I'm not the one to give advice on how to take and receive calls where I don't have complete control of the audio situations, since I do have control. But, some solutions, would be to, well, get an office, use your home for a meeting place, maybe a hotel lobby, perhaps an office with meeting room rentals, or hook up with a wedding vendor that you work closely with, (venue, florist, photographer, limo, decorator, cake maker etc) and see if you could make arrangements to meet your potential client at their location. And agree to pay this obliging vendor for the use of their office.

Or find a different, less busy coffee shop or agree to meet at hours that are the least busy.

Some ideas

New phones, like the last couple iPhones and Androids, have active noise cancellation on the mic. Chances are the other end of the line can't hear your ambient noise. I know that when I receive calls I don't notice excessive background noise except when I get a call from a known landline, like another business.

When you call a professional on his or her cell phone -- you are by-passing "office" environments. Call a lawyer's cell phone and you might find the lawyer getting a haircut, or out on a golf-course -- or at a Coffee Shop (if you get an answer at all).
    But if the professional advertises the cell number as a way to contact and communicate with said professional on professional matters, the professional has the responsibility to answer when the call can be handled professionally and in a proper environment, without impacting the behavior of others patorns, not a grocery store or a public place where there is no expectation of privacy or reasonable noise level.

I applaud your attention and awareness to answering calls and not alienating potential clients but that is not the subject of rockin's inquiry. (He scheduled a client meeting in a public coffee shop and should have no intelligent expectation of environmental noise cooperation.)

Precisely!

Do mature professionals really need this kind of guidance?
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast