Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: Babys crying, People talking really loud

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    13,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    I'm not kidding at all.
    Take your business calls in your own place of business. The coffee shop is selling coffee not renting desk space and your phone behavior has a negative impact on the quality of the social community space they are trying to maintain.
    Bravo, proformance, and I concur...Did I just say that...

    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Prospect, CT
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    But if the professional advertises the cell number as a way to contact and communicate with said professional on professional matters, the professional has the responsibility to answer when the call can be handled professionally and in a proper environment, without impacting the behavior of others patorns, not a grocery store or a public place where there is no expectation of privacy or reasonable noise level.

    I applaud your attention and awareness to answering calls and not alienating potential clients but that is not the subject of rockin's inquiry. (He scheduled a client meeting in a public coffee shop and should have no intelligent expectation of environmental noise cooperation.)


    Precisely!


    Do mature professionals really need this kind of guidance?
    Mature professionals also don't need to be told not to "borrow" other people's lighting images .. twice in fact .. so I think we know the answer to that one ..
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    central jersey, nj
    Posts
    1,875
    As the saying goes, it is important to make a great first impression. If it is a number I do not know and I am not in a quiet environment, I let it go to voicemail. I always respond saying that I was with a client or in a meeting, and not shopping. If I can text saying I'll call back soon, I'll do that as well to get them an immediate response so they know I am responsive. I also always make sure I am in an environment that is quiet and to not give the potential client any prejudice whatsoever (he's unprofessional calling me not at his office, I can barely hear him bc of background noise, is he really paying attention to me while he's shopping etc). I personally also like to have my laptop available so I can look up stuff or send stuff in the moment should the occasion call for such action.

    Now I could go into the whole conducting things at coffee houses and stuff which I found ridiculous, but if you were there for a phone call I wouldn't take it until I'm at least in my car.

    If this is an already contracted client, I am a little less formal and would be willing to take their call elsewhere (provided theres not a lot of background noise). Chances are if they're calling its for something quick or a follow up, and timeliness is more important. At that point I've already established my professionalism as well and have started to become closer where they're accepting of if I am calling them from the mall or at the gym.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    13,826
    Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Mature professionals also don't need to be told not to "borrow" other people's lighting images .. twice in fact .. so I think we know the answer to that one ..
    WTF iz u on about?
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Prospect, CT
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by djrox View Post
    WTF iz u on about?
    Rocking was called out twice for "borrowing" other DJ's lighting pictures to use as his own in his literature .. Tracy Painter a few years back .. and then someone in Taso's neck of the woods.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    13,826
    Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Rocking was called out twice for "borrowing" other DJ's lighting pictures to use as his own in his literature .. Tracy Painter a few years back .. and then someone in Taso's neck of the woods.
    Ah, thanks for the reminder.

    Still, I reiterate, "Do mature professionals really need this kind of guidance?"

    Are established, legit practitioners communicating with clients using such methods?
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    1,389
    Why is a call with a client any different than a call with a friend?
    They are most likely calling you on THEIR cellphone...
    so they have probably been in that exact position themselves.
    And really, how does answering your phone in a public place make you unprofessional?
    It certainly looks better than not answering the phone at all.
    I am sure the client completely understands if there is noise...
    as there is a decent chance THEY are also in a place that is not totally quiet.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    central jersey, nj
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    Why is a call with a client any different than a call with a friend?
    They are most likely calling you on THEIR cellphone...
    so they have probably been in that exact position themselves.
    And really, how does answering your phone in a public place make you unprofessional?
    It certainly looks better than not answering the phone at all.
    I am sure the client completely understands if there is noise...
    as there is a decent chance THEY are also in a place that is not totally quiet.
    It's different in the sense that it subconsciously allows them to create an opinion on the professionalism that you're showing. If they call you and theres dog barking or cars driving by, or anything that makes them not focus on your words 100%, ask to repeat things, or creates a momentary distraction... and then they have another call with a different dj and its a professional convo with no background noise, they'll think more positively of that call assuming the content was similar. They may not know why they think more positively of it but they will. Personally any time I call customer service and I hear 20 other customer service agents in the background it's annoying and it's not unusual that I have to ask or am asked to repeat things at times. This all comes down to brand image and how one would wish to portray their brand. Every detail can add or take away from that experience. This is one of those that takes away, perhaps on a subconscious level.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    Why is a call with a client any different than a call with a friend?
    They are most likely calling you on THEIR cellphone...
    so they have probably been in that exact position themselves.
    And really, how does answering your phone in a public place make you unprofessional?
    It certainly looks better than not answering the phone at all.
    I am sure the client completely understands if there is noise...
    as there is a decent chance THEY are also in a place that is not totally quiet.
    What's different is that he was complaining that OTHER PEOPLE and COFFEE SHOPS are too noisy for him to conduct business. I think the answer is to stop using coffee shops as your telecommunications center and act more responsibly with your customer communication.

    He titled the thread: Baby's crying.... what kind of an A-h*** blames the baby?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    13,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    Why is a call with a client any different than a call with a friend?
    Seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    They are most likely calling you on THEIR cellphone...
    ...and that matters, how?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    And really, how does answering your phone in a public place make you unprofessional?
    Only mostly but completely if the "public place" is predictably noisy, crowded, and likely to be non-conducive to effective communication about important matters that deserve full attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    It certainly looks better than not answering the phone at all.
    It's also better than answering with food in yoru mouth and using inappropriate language...aim lower and you can find all kinds of amateur, unprofessional behavior it is "better than."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    I am sure the client completely understands if there is noise...
    Are You sure.jpg
    They will understand more than they say and that understanding is just as likely to be less than positive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    as there is a decent chance THEY are also in a place that is not totally quiet.
    So lets compound the circumstance by all being in a noisy place. Bodes well for meaningful verbal communications.

    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    1,389
    My whole point is that YOU are on YOUR cell phone...
    THEY are on THEIRS.
    Which means there is a damn good chance they are in the same position you are.
    And some things cannot be controlled.

    So, a potential client would call you...
    take the time to discuss details....
    likes what you offer and likes what you have to say...
    But they won't hire you, because you happened to be at the mall when you took the call.

    Are YOU sure about that?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausumm View Post
    My whole point is that YOU are on YOUR cell phone...
    THEY are on THEIRS.
    Which means there is a damn good chance they are in the same position you are.
    And some things cannot be controlled.

    So, a potential client would call you...
    take the time to discuss details....
    likes what you offer and likes what you have to say...
    But they won't hire you, because you happened to be at the mall when you took the call.

    Are YOU sure about that?
    I'm sure that every time you do this in line at the coffee shop both the clerk at the counter and I waiting in line behind you are about 3 seconds away from beating you senseless.

    I see this all the time: Wannabees on their phone conspicuously sharing aloud their conversation because they think it makes them look important - all the while treating everyone around them as an inconvenience.

    Seriously - one of these days I'm gonna grab someone's cell phone and tell the person on the other end: "Hi - Dickhead is going to have to call you back because when I toss his ***** to end of the line you won't be able to hear him over the loud cheering."

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Prospect, CT
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance View Post
    I'm sure that every time you do this in line at the coffee shop both the clerk at the counter and I waiting in line behind you are about 3 seconds away from beating you senseless.

    I see this all the time: Wannabees on their phone conspicuously sharing aloud their conversation because they think it makes them look important - all the while treating everyone around them as an inconvenience.

    Seriously - one of these days I'm gonna grab someone's cell phone and tell the person on the other end: "Hi - Dickhead is going to have to call you back because when I toss his ***** to end of the line you won't be able to hear him over the loud cheering."
    Only if they're on speakerphone ..
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Only if they're on speakerphone ..
    Oh no, I'll take it right out of his hand.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East Orange, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8,786
    I have a suggestion. Why not buy a Bluetooth and use that. Get one that will fit in your ear. That way you can clearly hear reach other and not worry about noise bothering either one of you.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    9,220
    Decided to truck it. No pun intended.

    https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FRi...eadphcompar-20
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    East Orange, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    8,786
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    Decided to truck it. No pun intended.

    https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FRi...eadphcompar-20
    No that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about one like I have that to keep it on your ear it has a loop feature and the part you hear with and talk fits in your ear. Nothing that big and bulky. Something you can use while driving.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    central jersey, nj
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by djmachoman View Post
    No that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about one like I have that to keep it on your ear it has a loop feature and the part you hear with and talk fits in your ear. Nothing that big and bulky. Something you can use while driving.
    Having worked in the cell phone industry, those still don't perfectly remove background noise, especially loud noise such as lots of people talking, or music in the background. Phone technology has improved a lot over the years and pretty much has its own noise filtering technology in them... but again, only so much can be covered up if the noise itself is loud.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    9,220
    Quote Originally Posted by djmachoman View Post
    No that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about one like I have that to keep it on your ear it has a loop feature and the part you hear with and talk fits in your ear. Nothing that big and bulky. Something you can use while driving.
    I have the Bluetooth one from Costco and it doesn't work as well as I wished for. Therefore, the opening post was intended for seeking input on options, but, as usual some of the babies/grade schoolers here starting crying and distorted the thread.

    So what specific one does the Macho Man use?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Varies, need a DJ/MC? Will travel.
    Posts
    9,220
    Even if we meet in a quiet office and a plane or train or police siren or false nuclear alarm goes off, does that suddenly make us unprofessional
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •