Thread: How loyal are you to your bars

How loyal are you to your bars

Up until now, I have been pretty good about not scheduling anything else on nights that I have shows scheduled at a bar. That said, I picked up a bar where I knew ahead of time that the owner was kind of wish washy over whether or not he was going to have a show on that night. Previous hosts have quit because one week he'd let them play and the next week he'd cancel because no one was there before they had even got there to set up, even though the bar owner knows that the crowd usually doesn't show up until later. He's not that wishy washy on the night before or after, just Friday nights. Now it seems that the Thursday night host is going to be leaving his Friday night gig for a show closer to home and if I want him to, he'll put in a good word for me to take over his present show. The dilemma for me is that I have never left an already scheduled show for another unless the bar owner and I of the present show felt together that there absolutely was no future for the present show. I am already at that conclusion on the present show, but I need the money from the present show to tide me over until the other show materializes if it does.
    I am not a DJ or Karaoke Host, I am a Professional Karaoke Soundman.

In either circumstance, are you working within the legit boundaries of a written contract?

asks him knowingly.jpg
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

No just a handshake deal. The bar owners don't care for contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyG2001 View Post
    Previous hosts have quit because one week he'd let them play and the next week he'd cancel
    ...and yet he can find always some desperate, bottom feeding poser to submit to such unprofessional treatment.

No just a handshake deal.
    That explains the bar owner's/manager's disrespectful behavior and dismissive treatment.

The bar owners don't care for contracts.
    Neither do deeeeejays that surrender to such unprofessional practices and/or are so desperate and typically illegitimate to require them.

Without a written contract and a track record of success deeeeejays are nothing more than standard day labor, in the eyes of the bar owner/manager, and suseptible to such treatment.

53627163.jpg

In closing and in response to the initial question, "How loyal are you to your bars?", I can say VERY and ALWAYS LOYAL because I honor my contracts and never work for clients the don't care for legitimate business practices.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

With bars, we require a contract and half down to hold a date, and the other half upon arrival. If they can't agree, either can we. The next sucker in line takes a chance and the snowball continues.
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by rockingdj View Post
    With bars, we require a contract and half down to hold a date, and the other half upon arrival. If they can't agree, neither can we. The next sucker in line takes a chance and the snowball continues.
    Hmm, sNOwBALLS, bout right.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg

Turns out I probably don't have anything to worry about with the first bar he worded it today when I talked to him that he was basically letting me work out any kinks that I may have with my new system and that it's ok if I end up picking up a regular Friday night show. So I am going to pursue the New bar without feeling like I am stabbing the other bar in the back.

I don't trust any bars.
    Casey Brown
    Tyler - Texas
    http://www.tyleruplights.com

I book or I don't book. There's no wishy washy or maybe about it. If they cancel they get billed anyway. If they want to run their business like that, that's too bad for them. Go with the place who has it's **** together.
    DJ, Karaoke, Sound Reinforcement

cory@corynick.com