Thread: Easy Vocals?

Easy Vocals?

What songs, Country or otherwise, do you suggest for a DJ who can't sing?

Why do you need to sing? Are you being required to or are you attempting karaoke? Most Rap artists can't sing either .. can always start with one of them.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    What songs, Country or otherwise, do you suggest for a DJ who can't sing?
    Wipeout, I know all the words & I can't sing
    Larry

I suppose you can pick one from here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/gracespelma...oor#.paDg9gzza

"Tequila" - The Champs, might be the ticket .. only one word used.
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

Just think it would be fun to try.

Thanks, but go back a couple of generations. I am playing for folks in their 80's. Mostly country oriented folks. I have thought of giving "Four Walls" a try.

Hey good lookin' is a favorite for older folks. Also either Folsum Prison Blues or Ring of Fire.
    Bob DeYoung

"I Cross My Heart" by George Strait.
    His vocals are pretty easy-going without many high notes.

One of the most important rules of karaoke is...

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SUCK, SUCK LOUD

No one wants to see someone sheepishly try to sing a song. Whatever you go for, put some effort into it. Show that you are totally absorbed into the song. Avoid ballads. They are nearly impossible to get excited about. You either sing those right on key or you suck in a bad way. Use fun upbeat songs that the crowd can get into and make sure you know the words by heart. You should only use the lyrics on the screen as a reminder and as a help as to when to come in.

I can't sing well at all but I am often told I am a highly entertaining karaoke singer. My go to song is "Spill The Wine" by Eric Burden and War. The song is almost 90% talking. You just need to know when the words come in since they don't follow the music except at the chorus. In some ways, this makes the song difficult and almost no one else tries it. It is such a classic song that you get brownie points just for picking it.

The same is true for "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits. Mark Knopfler barely sings. However, he does have a certain patter to his singing that is unique. He starts each line fast and then slows down as he gets to the final syllables. Learn that and you have mastered this song.

Jim Morrison (Doors) can be pretty easy to sing along with. Try Roadhouse Blues first. Nearly every line is repeated twice. The song doesn't even cover a single octave. Love Her Madly and Twentieth Century Fox are also fairly easy. Avoid L.A. Woman since every karaoke version is a different length and you never no which one you'll get and which lyrics have been cut from that version.

Sweet Caroline isn't that hard and the audience will always join in for the chorus. It is an easy one to ham up with too. However, you lose brownie points for selecting this song since it is overdone.

The Gambler by Kenny Rogers is another easy song that lacks a big vocal range. Heck, none of his songs have much range. However, his voice does have a certain gravely quality that is hard to imitate.

Other easy classic are American Band (Grand Funk) and Taking Care of Business (BTO). Both are fast and rocking. You can do your best air cowbell to the first and air guitar to the second. Lynyrd Skynyrd is also fairly easy to sing to.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone , is a crowd pleaser and easy to sing

Quote Originally Posted by andywilson View Post
    Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone , is a crowd pleaser and easy to sing
    Did he sing this one:

lol, yeah i like that one too..

Here's the real thing >>

Quote Originally Posted by andywilson View Post
    lol, yeah i like that one too..

Here's the real thing >>

I remember the song .. the video is just awful though ..

Thats how it was back then, better songs lousy videos, unvarnished ..Today the video production is better than the song..Though now is a new generation aimed at a gangsta element with some clowns walking around..I still prefer the lousy videos but good songs

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    IF YOU ARE GOING TO SUCK, SUCK LOUD
    Sawdust!

This quote can apply to a lot more than karaoke.

I think you just discovered the meaning of life!

tequila !!!!!

Just learn Gucci Gang. Only two words and no one will ever know if you got them right.
    DJ, Karaoke, Sound Reinforcement

cory@corynick.com