Thread: Searching for a Mixer that has "Auto Mute" (not Talk Over)

Searching for a Mixer that has "Auto Mute" (not Talk Over)

Does anyone know of a Mixer that has "Auto Mute" option?

I need this type of Mixer. Thank you
    Curt
    CurtinClwFL

What you are looking for is a mixer with a built in noise-gate. Nearly every digital mixer has a gate/compressor/limiter that can be employed on every input. There are digital mixers that start around $250-$300. They require you use your own tablet. You can always purchase an external analog gate/compressor/limiter for under $200. However, most of these only work at line level so you will need a mic pre before you go into it which adds more coin and space.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

The old Numark CM-100's had the auto-talk feature but I've noticed some of the newer mixers don't always feature it.

You can find a good second hand one on ebay, CM-100 that is.

I just bought my first SM 58 with a switch. For $5.00 more dollars I'll mute manual.
    Larry

WARNING SARCASM APPROACHING:

Quote Originally Posted by sonic-vision View Post
    I just bought my first SM 58 with a switch. For $5.00 more dollars I'll mute manual.
    You must be a masochist, all that burdesome effort to move you thumb an enitre millimeter.

Who has time for that?

You'll never get any good food off the buffet wasting all that time working.
    Rocky 'djrox' Bourg
    Father/Husband/Son/Brother/American

Maybe an Automatic Mixer would be ideal. They are used primarily for conference mic setups where they auto mute each mic (using gates) until someone speaks, then they open the channel.

This AT one is on the simpler side ( http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/2375...nica-AT-MX341b ) .. many comapnies make one (Shure, Rane, etc.).

There's also a digital process (Dugan Automixing) available as a waves plugin and built into many digital boards (Yamaha, Behringer, Midas) that helps in managing multiple mics.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

If you want to mute a single mic or group of mics simultaneously use an external noise gate. You'll get full control over the parameters and won't need to spend more than about $50-$99. You can put it anywhere in the signal chain that suits your purpose. A quad gate will give you four independent channels for very little money.

If you need to mute multiple mics independently of each other and simultaneously eliminate cross mic pickup then you need an auto-mixer and these can be quite expensive. I prefer the Shure SCM810 and RKC800 combination because it is incredibly versatile and can be configured for very simple or very complex setups. It's List price is about $1,300 but you can probably find a used on for about 1/3 that amount.

If you are doing video streaming or recording and don't want dead spots in the audio than you will also need a mixer capable of leaving at least one or the last mic on to sustain a level of ambient room noise when none of the mics are in use. The SCM810 units are stackable to a capacity of 400 mics and remote serial control.

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    This AT one is on the simpler side ( http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/2375...nica-AT-MX341b ) .. many comapnies make one (Shure, Rane, etc.).
    The only thing with greater depreciation than an RV or timeshare is one of those Audio-Technica mic mixers. The AT-MX341a can be found on eBay for less than $35.
    Brendan Lafferty
    B-Sharp Entertainment
    Taunton MA
    www.southcoastdj.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bren Lafferty View Post
    The only thing with greater depreciation than an RV or timeshare is one of those Audio-Technica mic mixers. The AT-MX341a can be found on eBay for less than $35.
    Then maybe Curt should start there .. though the b version is a tad more.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by andywilson View Post
    The old Numark CM-100's had the auto-talk feature but I've noticed some of the newer mixers don't always feature it.

You can find a good second hand one on ebay, CM-100 that is.
    The CM-100 doesn't have auto-mute. It has auto-ducking. It simply lowers the output of the stereo channels when mic 1 is in use. Since you cannot adjust the degree of muting, I never found that useful.
    The No-Hype DJ:
    When you can't afford the best...
    I'm one of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
    The CM-100 doesn't have auto-mute. It has auto-ducking. It simply lowers the output of the stereo channels when mic 1 is in use. Since you cannot adjust the degree of muting, I never found that useful.
    So maybe the OP is wanting a noise gate on the mic that is only unmuted when it picks up a higher level audio signal? He doesnt need the music muted on detecting a mic signal? Or is he wanting auto-talkover ?i.e You speak in the mic and the music volume drops to zero, then when you stop speaking the music returns to its original volume. The Numark CM 100 has a sensitivity adjustment for whatever your personal preferences are. I found it was fine for what i needed , i have the same feature also in a stand alone karaoke speaker amp setup but its sensitivity cant be adjusted instead it is pre-set internally at a good level for most purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by amusicunlimited View Post
    Does anyone know of a Mixer that has "Auto Mute" option?

I need this type of Mixer. Thank you
    Are you looking to mute the music when you speak or the mute the mic when not speaking? Both can be achieved with almost any mixer by adding a side chain compressor/gate unit, or grab a digital mixer...
    DJ, Karaoke, Sound Reinforcement

cory@corynick.com

... Thank you Andy; this Mixer will work for the purpose.
    Curt
    CurtinClwFL

".... wanting auto-talkover ?i.e You speak in the mic and the music volume drops to zero, then when you stop speaking the music returns to its original volume."

EXACTLY the purpose for needing this type of Mixer.

The Set-up is located on a Dinner Cruise Yacht. The System runs Sound (along with the Captain's Mic) throughout the Yacht. On the Cruises when our DJs are not present, the Captain performs Narrations. ... So, while the background music is playing - and, the Captain begins to speak, we need the Music Volume to "lower" so that Passengers will be able to hear the Captain speak.

Whenever, the Captain is not speaking, the Music Volume returns at the set level.
    Curt
    CurtinClwFL

Quote Originally Posted by amusicunlimited View Post
    ".... wanting auto-talkover ?i.e You speak in the mic and the music volume drops to zero, then when you stop speaking the music returns to its original volume."

EXACTLY the purpose for needing this type of Mixer.

The Set-up is located on a Dinner Cruise Yacht. The System runs Sound (along with the Captain's Mic) throughout the Yacht. On the Cruises when our DJs are not present, the Captain performs Narrations. ... So, while the background music is playing - and, the Captain begins to speak, we need the Music Volume to "lower" so that Passengers will be able to hear the Captain speak.

Whenever, the Captain is not speaking, the Music Volume returns at the set level.
    Does he sound like Captain Mike from LA to Vegas?
    Heavy weight lifter, karate, oh, I DJ too. Life is good!

Noise gate will work just fine.
    Larry

Fair warning, that Numark sounds like ass and is super noisy. You couldn’t pay me to mix on that.
    Thanks,
    Justin

If not that "noisy" Numark mixer, maybe this Behringer mixer with auto talkover and adjustment knob...
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...annel-dj-mixer

I doubt a dinner cruise ship's PA system would need the quality and versatility of a $1000+ Pioneer, Denon, or Allen&Heath mixer.