Thread: Al's Yorkville EF-12P active speaker review

Al's Yorkville EF-12P active speaker review

Hey guys,

Finally got the new Yorkvilles in. I have them for a month and will do a full review while getting the chance to test them at a few events, so let the fun begin! Let's see what that 3" compression driver can do

EF 1 (Medium).jpg
    Yamaha DXR8s + DXR15s + DBR12, KV2 Audio KX12s, RCF Art 310As, Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12As, Yamaha MG12, Peavey PV10, Yorkville PGM8

Looking forward to the review

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Randy L View Post
    Looking forward to the review
    I can tell you right off the bat that these are not designed primarily as DJ speakers and I am really questioning who exactly applied the eq settings to this speaker... especially the Club setting. Let's just say you need to add quite a bit of top end eq to actually open up the top end - because as is, the Club setting sounds extremely dark and muddy to me, like all bass. Contrary to the PS12P and NX55P which both also have this deep low end boost, BUT they also have some very present top end as well. It's almost as if Yorkville completely forgot to add the top end for this setting.

I am still trying to understand the the limit lights and clip light as well. Each sound setting has is own light color, which is cute, and both limit and clip lights are this color until they turn to amber when the speaker is supposedly at the maximums of its output, BUT problem is that they both turn amber really quickly in my opinion, and it is still possible to get many more DBs of usable output before they are both SOLID amber - which makes them a poor indication of how much you're working them . I'm guessing the clip light eventually turns RED only with excessive signal applied. With my Yamahas, it takes alot to get them to limit, so I know that as soon as that limit light flickers red - I NEED to dial it down a notch. Simpler IMO.

Overall sound is OK, and clarity is good with some eq, but as mentionned, these pre eq modes are simply not doing it for me. Let's see how they do tonight (50th aniversary DJ gig)

Al
    Yamaha DXR8s + DXR15s + DBR12, KV2 Audio KX12s, RCF Art 310As, Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12As, Yamaha MG12, Peavey PV10, Yorkville PGM8

Maybe they have the top end down a hair to keep them from being piercing when they are kicked up and your in close range of them?

On my zxa5 60, when its kicked hard, i turn the top end down a hair from unity. While it sounds good at 25 feet, if your within 5 feet, its almost is too painful to me.

Now when i say kicked hard, im talking about 6 of them outdoors. If the yorkies have a softer top but clear and can throw a longer distance, might be a good choice people who need to cover like 1/2a football field or so.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    Maybe they have the top end down a hair to keep them from being piercing when they are kicked up and your in close range of them?

On my zxa5 60, when its kicked hard, i turn the top end down a hair from unity. While it sounds good at 25 feet, if your within 5 feet, its almost is too painful to me.

Now when i say kicked hard, im talking about 6 of them outdoors. If the yorkies have a softer top but clear and can throw a longer distance, might be a good choice people who need to cover like 1/2a football field or so.
    Got to really open them up last night - albeit at a 50th wedding anniversary (but in a big - and not so great sounding hall). With some eq touches, these are very, very capable boxes - in all departments. Still unsure about the EQ modes though - Concert is my favorite as it seems to have the more even/pleasant response overall. Club is really badly done IMO - no definition at all and just mud UNLESS you open up the top end yourself - which is not too hard to do. Still, the ridiculous deep bass boost just steals so much headroom. Don't know who thought this was a good idea at all. At the very least, EQ this mode to sound like the out of box voicing of the NX55P-2, which is sweet a DJ sounding speaker with no EQ applied at all. The limit and clip lights still baffle me. The both light up AMBER so much, they almost seem like signal indicators, no ****. I ran them into SOLID AMBER during the last hour with no issues at all and the box didn't exhibit any abnormality and didn't seem stressed sound wise either, so I don't know. The woofer was at the limits of what it could do, but no audible limiting was yet occuring. Also, my XLR line ins don't seem to work at all. Not sure if this is because these are new out of the factory first generation cbainets, but will do some more testing. Build quality and finish are beautiful and top notch. The weight of the boxes is a good indicator of the quality as well IMO - although they are a b_tch to put up on stands, especially if you're not an ahem... muscular 41 year old such as myself LOL. As expected, vocal response is superb - in an open space, but it's something I'm not used to from most of my other boxes, save my KX12s, which also have a bigger compression driver (2.5'' VC - bit 1.4'' exit). Am doing a bigger party in 2 weeks with younger folks where the EF12Ps will be run wide open most of the night, so we'll see how they do then. Will be contacting Yorkville for détails about the limit and clip lights constantly turning amber...

Al

So you were not using a sub?
    Thats crazy about the eq or built in dsp. A lot of the newer built dsp do a fantastic job on powered speakers. Maybe they will do a firmware revision.

So you were not using a sub?
    Thats crazy about the eq or built in dsp. A lot of the newer built dsp do a fantastic job on powered speakers. Maybe they will do a firmware revision.
    I've never used a sub for a 50th wedding anniverary I just sent Yorkville an email with some questions regarding the limit and clip lights always blinking.

Al

Funny, same here. Depending on the age range of the folks or type of music played will depend if subs get brought.

Funny, same here. Depending on the age range of the folks or type of music played will depend if subs get brought.
    Just found the tiny almost hidden button that activates the mixer section (line and mic ins)

Al

After using the EF-12Ps for many hours at home and at 2 gigs (one stand alone and one coupled with my DXS12s), I am still unsure about how I feel about these speakers. Build quality seems superb - I love the looks, and they can definitely get loud (if you ignore the limit light) and sound very decent as well, but they really feel / sound like more of a live sound speaker to me - that horn is just VERY present. This can be a good thing in bigger places and for live sound applications, but in smaller spaces I seem to have trouble getting the sound exactly how I like with playback music. I would likely need a proper EQ to fine tune that big compression driver. Depending on the song I am playing, I seem to always want to reduce the HF response somewhere in the 2k-4k region (while boosting the 8-12k to open up the top end a little). Overall I can get a very good sound, but it simply isn't as ear plasing as what I can get from my other speakers. This may be an inherent issue with such big compression drivers, the biggest one I have is the 2.5'' on my KX Audios, but the exit on these is 1.4" which likely makes them a little smoother IMO.

While the tops sounded great combined with my DXS12s (in a very big hall) - personally, for my applications, the EF12Ps are probably not the speakers for me, but for someone who often plays in bigger venues and/or does live sound and wants the benefits of such a big horn / increased intelligibility of vocals - they might just be the ticket. Price is also another issue as 1500$ per cab is a little much IMO, not to mention the 60lb weight that was not pleasant to deal with when I had to mount the EF-12Ps over my subs. Finally, the playback modes could and should have been done better to take advantage of the possibilities of fine tuning this speaker to get the most out of its transducers sonically. As for the prematurely blinking limit light, that is another thing that could and should have been done better or at least properly explained in the manual. I am not done playing with these yet, but will be doing the Youtube review shortly.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin View Post
    After using the EF-12Ps for many hours at home and at 2 gigs (one stand alone and one coupled with my DXS12s), I am still unsure about how I feel about these speakers. Build quality seems superb - I love the looks, and they can definitely get loud (if you ignore the limit light) and sound very decent as well, but they really feel / sound like more of a live sound speaker to me - that horn is just VERY present. This can be a good thing in bigger places and for live sound applications, but in smaller spaces I seem to have trouble getting the sound exactly how I like with playback music. I would likely need a proper EQ to fine tune that big compression driver. Depending on the song I am playing, I seem to always want to reduce the HF response somewhere in the 2k-4k region (while boosting the 8-12k to open up the top end a little). Overall I can get a very good sound, but it simply isn't as ear plasing as what I can get from my other speakers. This may be an inherent issue with such big compression drivers, the biggest one I have is the 2.5'' on my KX Audios, but the exit on these is 1.4" which likely makes them a little smoother IMO.

While the tops sounded great combined with my DXS12s (in a very big hall) - personally, for my applications, the EF12Ps are probably not the speakers for me, but for someone who often plays in bigger venues and/or does live sound and wants the benefits of such a big horn / increased intelligibility of vocals - they might just be the ticket. Price is also another issue as 1500$ per cab is a little much IMO, not to mention the 60lb weight that was not pleasant to deal with when I had to mount the EF-12Ps over my subs. Finally, the playback modes could and should have been done better to take advantage of the possibilities of fine tuning this speaker to get the most out of its transducers sonically. As for the prematurely blinking limit light, that is another thing that could and should have been done better or at least properly explained in the manual. I am not done playing with these yet, but will be doing the Youtube review shortly.

Al
    Have you played around with the DSP settings? "Club" looks like it opens up the top end. The BT controlled "User" settings might work as well.

And they are $1071 USD at kpodj.com.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    Have you played around with the DSP settings? "Club" looks like it opens up the top end. The BT controlled "User" settings might work as well.

And they are $1071 USD at kpodj.com.
    Oh yes, I've played with the DSP settings. Club mode would be better off being called mud mode IMO. It sounds a little like a club, if you're standing outside of it. Almost no top end to speak of. Why they simply didn't EQ it to sound like the NX55P-2 - which basically features a DJ's "go to sound" out of the box (deep lows and crisp top end) is beyond me. Yorkville seems to have chosen to simply boost the lows - that's it. No definition at all, just bass. Yuck. Not sure who at Yorkville actually listened to and OK'd this thinking it sounded ok, but they need to have their hearing checked IMO. It is that bad. Concert mode is a little more flat overall, sounds pretty good at high levels, but most people will still want to open up the top end a little. Vocal just emphasizes the mids a bit more, nothing too drastic and flat well, not a huge difference over concert and vocal. So much more could have been done better in this department. They should have called me in lol... It's too bad, this box has so much potential. With a little EQ, they sound pretty darn good and the vocal presence is nice for many applications, but there is some fine tuning to be done to get the best out of these IMO.

Al

It would be interesting to see if the "app" has other settings, but apparently it isn't available yet .. at least on iOS.
    Steve Montambault, Copper Sound
    Audio - Rane MP25, A&H ZED12FX, Denon MC6000mk2, Denon DN-HC4500, JBL PRX612m, RCF EVOX 8

Quote Originally Posted by steve149 View Post
    It would be interesting to see if the "app" has other settings, but apparently it isn't available yet .. at least on iOS.
    I looked for the android version, but couldn't find it... I found the app for Yorkville light bar, but that's it. I'll have to check again. It is good that they added this possibility however so you can pre-eq to your personal preference out of the box. One thing they missed is being able to stream music to the unit as well. This can come in handy quite often...

Al

And here is the Youtube review :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKNSiWaYkLM

Al