Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Cigarettes

Free Cigarettes

Hello Smokers..

Sorry no free smokes but I have a question... During wedding receptions do you smoke at the booth or outside?

smoking

Don't smoke butt I do know a dj that the bride wanted to know somthing and he burned a hole in her dress.Cost him the entire gig.

Jam,

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope......well let me think about it for a moment.................. NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather go back to using my old card.
    Earl & Kelley Mangrum
    PURE ENERGY PRODUCTIONS
    Building lifelong memories, one song at a time.
    314-537-2634

Exclamation

sorry guys

but here where I live they have almost stopped all Venues and function centers from having people smoke inside as it is

its a Law that was passed to stop people smoking in Resturants as well - so I am glad as I dont smoke Period

the next thing they will target is Hotels and Clubs plus Niteclubs too

sory to tell you this but hey it happens

have a nice day all
    DjDennis Clark
    (In this crazy business for 35+ years)
    MySpace: http://myspace.trebleclefdj.com.au
    Facebook: http://facebook.trebleclefdj.com.au

I don't smoke but even if I did, it would be difficult to find space to puff because, as Dennis stated, most function halls are now non-smoking. Whether this is their own choice, or the mandate from the smoking Nazi's, it doesn't matter. Smokers must step outside if they want to light one up.

If the DJ leaves his/her area to have such a smoke, then their booth is just as unattended as if they were eating, taking a leak or dump, or just wandering around checking on things like volume and sound quality.

I bring this up because once again, the "should DJ's eat at weddings" has reared its ugly head.

It seems as if the high end function halls, the country clubs and the upscale older fancier buildings are all smoke free. It also seems that at many a VFW or Eagles Club, smoking is mandatory!

I did a gig a few weeks ago and it seemed like the only people who were NOT smoking were the underage kids, and I'll bet they were sneaking off into the bathrooms to light one up!

Now, I don't like smoke, but I am not one of those anti-smoking zealots who feels the need to inflict their narrow worldview on others.

If people want to smoke at a gig where it is permitted, I say go right ahead. I just prefer that you don't do it around me, but I will be the first to applaud you for choosing to use a legal product.

However, in 30 years, when both your lungs quit, don't try and sue the tobacco companies.

You knew the risk, you took the risk, you abide by the consequences.

Want to make extra money during the weekdays? Learn more about the exciting and profitable world of preschool entertainment at Bubble Parties.com!

I didn't leave enough space for an ashtray when I customized my self standing CDJ coffin (I don't use tables, and won't set anything on top of equipment), so i don't smoke at any shows, except Alcholics Annominous dances, you walk into the room and it's like "London Fog"............when in Rome, do as the Romans do

Just about all venues I play at have a no smoking policy.

I am not a smoker so it doesn't effect me personally, however I hate it when a group stands outside and smokes while I am trying to conduct a dance

Mixmaster
    http://www.themixmaster.net
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"
    Mixmaster Professional DJ Services
    http://www.themixmaster.net
    http://www.facebook.com/MixmasterDJService

Both Doreen and I smoke and once in a while one of us will step outside to take a puff. The other remains in the booth. Its important to our image that the booth never appears unmanned (or should that be "unpersoned?").

Scott

All these threads about bodily functions and personal habits are going to make me heave.

Scott brings up a good point...... Many DJ companies market the fact that they are teams and you will have a two individuals at the event if one of them steps out of the booth area to have a smoke I don't see it as being as issue, however, what image does the client get when they are expecting two individuals to be working the DJ booth and they find one outside taking a puff?

Many none smokers have commented where are the smokers?

John,

I love your viewpoint and agree more then you could ever imagine.... "Now, I don't like smoke, but I am not one of those anti-smoking zealots who feels the need to inflict their narrow worldview on others." This comment goes way beyond a person who is anti-smoking it covers just about a majority of the anti-??????? topics.

Jam,

I am a smoker, I smoke my fair share at three packs a day. However, I have never had a problem going without one for the 4 or 5 hours of a reception.

If I ever get a real bad craving I just go outside during dinner and smoke one, or load the system and have it ready to go to the next song and go out for a couple of quick drags on the stick. This has never been a problem for me.

And I don't smoke at a wedding, regardless of how many of the guest are doing so.

Originally posted by Professor Jam
    Scott brings up a good point...... Many DJ companies market the fact that they are teams and you will have a two individuals at the event if one of them steps out of the booth area to have a smoke I don't see it as being as issue, however, what image does the client get when they are expecting two individuals to be working the DJ booth and they find one outside taking a puff?
    Professor, once again you're trying to create an issue where there isn't one. Why?

We don't guarantee "two people in the booth" -- Why would anybody do that? The point that *I* am making is that the booth should never appear unmanned. The only possible exception would be when the DJ (or team) are in the process of being "on the floor" (i.e. entertaining) -- as opposed to the DJ (or team) being completely out of site eating or smoking or whatever else you want to conjure up as an excuse to "take a break."

What point, if any, are *YOU* trying to make?

Scott

Scott,

So, is it your opinion that a DJ can be away from the DJ booth for 15 minutes to smoke, eat, drink and or use the restroom as long as a "body" is in the booth?

Originally posted by Professor Jam
    Scott,

So, is it your opinion that a DJ can be away from the DJ booth for 15 minutes to smoke, eat, drink and or use the restroom as long as a "body" is in the booth?
    Depends ... What's your definition of a "body" ??? I'd say, if its a tuxedoed entertainer that's part of the team, then yes, that "body" will do. If you're talking about a jeans-and-T-shirt clad "roadie" then no, I would not classify that as an acceptable "body."

Again, what is your point?

Scott

So, Any "body" (roadie, wife, girlfriend, hooker) that can stand in the DJ area in a tuxedo is all it takes to enable the hired entertainer to be still considered a professional and still be able to leave the booth for extended periods of time for such issues as eating, smoking, getting a beverage, using the restroom?

And any DJ that does not work as a team is considered unprofessional for leaving the DJ area for any period of time? (I'm talking about for such issues as eating, smoking, getting a beverage, using the restroom?

Like Scott I am part of a husband and wife team and we both smoke. Since one of us is usually flitting about the place helping with details, bits or yapping with guests its not unusual to see the booth either empty or singly manned. Therefore, its hardly noticed when one of us pops outside for a cancer stick. Its pretty much of a non-issue with my clients. Most don't even wait for us to ask about smoking rules in halls as they've already made allowances.
    Cheers!
    Bill James

Given Professor Jam's use of the F-bomb on me in another thread, I've decided to no longer respond to him. He is now deceased in my book.

Scott

Scott,

I don't know what the problem is between you and Jam and really don't care about it, but why do you run from the questions he asks.

What he asked about in this thread is just as legit as any you have asked about anyone eating, drinking or anything else. Why is it that anytime the table turns on you it is someone digging at you and you aren't going to respond to them anymore or you are going to be a member here anymore.

The it's my ball and I'm going home routine is getting so old. You like to be considered cutting edge and controversial, the thinker as it were, but when you find out you are just like everyone else here no better or worse it seems to hurt your fellings a little.

As for the F bomb whatever that is.

Grow Up!

Well, Hell!

Are you guys scrapping again??

Jam, I'll wait for for the right moment to slip out for a smoke - if the reception is longer than 3 hours. Once the floor is opened for dancing and the lights are down. Shirl and I both smoke so we'll discreetly take turns.

Hope this helps.
    Fred and Shirl - Night Wolf Entertainment. Est. 1993.
    National Membership Director, USODJA.com
    Sponsor, Annual Curves For Women Bachelor Auction.
    Lifetime member of the GAS support group.

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. They're easier to handle than dumb mistakes.

Scott,

You're a real class-act... I make mention that I found your choice of wording insulting reguarding the death of one of my DJ assistants in a major crash and here within hours of my making this issue with you.... you make the subtle comment I've decided to no longer respond to him (being me). He is now deceased in my book...... Your timing of such a comment is classic and reflects how large of a class-act you truly are...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast