Thread: The bickering is awful

Angry The bickering is awful

I said this in another thread but I am repeating here

OK...it's the pot calling the kettle black, but...

This is why only 1% of people belong to DJ Associations whether local or national

Not just Chatters here, but at DJA, ****, Pro DJ, etc.

We are all very arrogant, stubborn, condescending, and not doing what we are supposed to be doing which is helping out each other

We concentrate our efforts at one-upping each other and that is pitiful...it seems alot of times that we have lost our purpose as a group and have become warlords of small factions similar to countries like Afghanistan or Somalia...with obviously less deadly results

Think of what a powerful lobby we could become in Washington and at the State level if we somehow put our petty differences aside and become united toward a single goal

What is the goal?

I think there are many, but that is for the group to decide collectively...not Sid Vanderpool, Mark Ferrell, Peter Merry, Jim Casey, Steve Miller, Scott Susor, etc

Even I have cut it out recently and I want everyone to understand this is a collective slam with a purpose...let's cut the crap and get to business

No more teenager insults...no more I'm better than you because I'm full-time, or I'm refusing $4000 gig crap...it's tiresome...even for me!
    Last edited by djmaine; 10-10-2001 at 06:12 PM.

People bickering about bickering people is just silly.

And tell Pam to come back.....
    Nick in New Zealand
    phone +64-274-438687
    Wedding and Event DJ

...because it's worth celebrating.

I have a blog. Go on - click it!

she has to see some change before she comes back....if she sees the SOS ....forget it...
    I just emailed her to let her know she is still missed..and NO im not giving out her email addy..I promised

Greg Tish,owner
    Ten year TallyAwards Winner for Best DJ Company
    Host of The Greg Tish Show on Freedom 93.3 (radio) and Comcast 21 (tv)

I spoke to Pam a few times too. She is great person.

I don't bicker. I just B*T*H
    :p
    DJ Boom

So we have to all change to suit someones opinion of how this site should run?
    Nick in New Zealand
    phone +64-274-438687
    Wedding and Event DJ

...because it's worth celebrating.

I have a blog. Go on - click it!

Red face I think it is time that we all should hold hands and sing . . .

"I'd like to teach the world to sing . . .
    In perfect harmony . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !"

John M. Daniels
    Music Doctor DJ
    Denver, Colorado

Re: I think it is time that we all should hold hands and sing . . .

Originally posted by MusicDoctorDJ
    "I'd like to teach the world to sing . . .
    In perfect harmony . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . !"
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT ready for Christmas commercials, yet!
    Ken Petersen
    YouTube // Blog
    Enhance the client.

Personally, I agree with Jim,

The relentless bickering & name calling is childish & unprofessional. What a huge waste of time all around.

I have hoped & would continue to hope that we could differ & even strongly disagree without resorting to the name calling.

I have been branded with many, cultist, Stepford DJ, Drone, clone, etc. The list could go on ad nauseum.. The issue is that there is no need for it. I do not call others names.

I used to engage in the fight till I realized just how really stupid it is. On several issues there are some very polarized opinions. Those topics should be able to be discussed without the rankcor & negativity that is quickly degrades into. Since we know there are highly polarized opinions we should NOT respond with personal negativity to those we differ with. Yes express your different point of view, but without the LABELS & insults.

I maintain that often online we will treat others with a lower degree of respect than we would face to face at a trade show.

While I am not saying that everyone has to agree with each other or like each other or even get along, but I am say that we all should be "professional" enough to not sink into petty name calling.

I think that when one looks at how much time they spend online in these petty spitting matches it becomes clear what a WASTE OF TIME it is.

This is valuable time that could & should be used more productively than trying to change the minds of those that will not budge.

Let's just accept that there are some people that will never change their minds no matter how much evidence or dialogue is used. No matter which side of a given issue you sit on.

Here is my challenge to the Moderators of DJCHAT.

If you REALLY don't want the bickering & bashing, then simply stop the thread cold as soon as it starts. NO MATTER WHO starts it. Fist time the name calling starts, SHUT IT DOWN. How hard is that?

It sometimes appears as if it( the negativity & rates battles) is not wanted, yet it seems that the threads are allowed to go on for multiple pages worth of negative puke & name calling. Is this just to sustain the hit o meter & to continue to generate hundreds of views? I hope not.

As a group of professionals we can & should do better.

FOr me I have made a resolve regarding the threads that turn ugly or are only there to incite a fight.

Here is the quote:

" Joshua: Interesting game.... It seems the ONLY WINNING move is not to Play" War Games circa 1983
    "The Revolution Continues!" Join the ADJA Today!
    Dr. Drax ADJA National President & Executive Director

"I Am The ADJA" just like you are, out of many, one heart.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2005 DJ Dr. Drax
    This post, opinion and viewpoint is copyrighted information.
    It is the sole property of DJ Dr. Drax.
    Do not copy or otherwise use this information or exchange it with
    others without the expressed written consent of the author.

I agree in theory, Jim, and we are all abundantly aware of the people and their "one trick pony" issue that incites verbal rioting and degrades DJChat. When they stay away, we're fine. When they appear and speak, things go to Hell in a handbasket. The solution is not to do Borg-like assimilation, but rather to encourage those folks to "stay home" where they'll be happy and among friends who enjoy endless discussion of "the message."

Scott

Oh, contrare! I firmly believe there are folks here at DJChat that lick there perverbial "chops" waiting for one of them (Stepford DJ's, clones, MF wannabee's, One Trick Pony's) to show themselves here. It's like throwing hamburger into the Amazon river watching the Piranha go into a feeding frenzy. They come in looking like this and they leave looking like this

Watch the post numbers go crazy for all involved! The best thing that could have happened to this site is the opening of "that" site. Can anybody say "Fresh Meat?"!

Do some of them deserve to be "brought down" a step or two? Yep, they sure do! But what I dislike is the lumping of some that contribute a great deal here, yet they also feel misguided rath. Why the shotgun approach and not just the sniper bullet? Doesn't make for a good thread?
    Ed and Dottie Ottman
    All Occasions DJ's
    www.mydjs.com

Talking

It's fake! The bickering is just like wrestling...the people that bicker really have a lot more in common and agree more than they would lead you to believe. The same people that bicker actually talk to each at conventions. It's a game where we try to one up the other by being more creative (attackful) than the other, so take it for the entertainment value and enjoy your reading but don't forget your work at your office.

Ed,

You said it very well! There are indeed a few here that LIVE for doing battle. They spoil for a fight at every turn. Look at how the Teen issues got handled, & PETER MERRY was nowhere to be found. This isn't a "one trick pony" issue as Scott would have you think. This is an issue that a few members here don't have enough self respect to keep from name calling others to make their point. PURE & SIMPLE.

I still hold that respect is all that is needed, & that IF the Staff here don't want the bloodbath, all they have to do is CLOSE THE DAMN THREAD!

How hard is that? Then send the repective parties that are using inappropraite behaviour an email asking them to stop, or if they will not then just ban them.

There is nothing wrong with getting rid of those who can't behave themselves. Life is about choices, behave like a decent human being, be nice or leave.

Originally posted by DJ Dr. Drax
    I still hold that respect is all that is needed, & that IF the Staff here don't want the bloodbath, all they have to do is CLOSE THE DAMN THREAD!
    I think that's been done, Drax, several times now. Some of you may be surprised to learn that I don't live to do battle with "the message." Personally, I think "the message" is a pile of steaming cow dung and it stinketh, for a variety of reasonable and logical reasons. But that's just MY opinion. You may not see Mr. Merry's representation of "the message" as being a "one trick pony" but its clear that many others do. They're tired not only of "the message" but of the astronomic level of egotism with which its broadcast. In fact, it still amazes me that an industry icon like Mobile Beat magazine appears to have bought into that charade hook, line and sinker. But hey, they're their dollars to lose as they see fit. And its the right of the owner of DJChat and DJZone to operate these sights as HE sees fit. Personally, I think Sid does a hell of a good job!

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't directing anything to you personally. I think you will see that I rarely will discuss rates or other related topics.

I think Peter is not trying to come of egoed, just to share his feelings & successes. Too often people degnerate the discussion down to personalities instead of issues.

I am not telling Sid how to run his board, HOWEVER if you don't want the bickering matches, the answer is simple SHUT DOWN THE THREAD while it is still only a page or right after the nasty grams start going up.

It was only my opinion & suggestion. Not a slam to Sid or anyone.

As for Mobile Beat, They are not losing money by backing the idea that DJ's can & should charge more. In fact the opposite is true.

I do not wish to open a debate regarding "the message" as I think everybody has to decide for themselves how to best apply what they hear.

I for one have gotten alot of benefit from Randy B. Todd M & Mark F. I have found that what I have learned from them has benefited me in all the markets I am in. But that is just my experience.

The investment is low, the reurn has been great. For others they might not have the good fortune I have. I bid them well. However, it doesn't releive people of responsibility for their actions & for the name calling that goes on, I have Rarely mentioned rates here at all, yet I get blasted with the same broad brush for no reason.

There is little of value or understanding increased of one's view by indulging in name calling don't you agree?

Goo day,

Drax,
    The thread I composed that was ruined by Peter's sarcastic response was posted way before he even came back online with DJchat. It was not bait for him or anyone else.

One of the main problems I have with Peter and his trio of friends is unlike me and the other members on DJchat they know everything and can learn nothing. They make the big money and those 99.8% of the DJs out there that don't, in their eyes bring down the industry and just don't get it. When we ask for solid facts and numbers, we are given refferences from their few years of experiences which combined does not add up to how many years some of us have been spinning the tunes.

Building a price message on a foundation of Southern California DJs that live and work in one of the most populated and richest areas of the country and saying it works anywhere anytime (which now has been rewritten to may work anywhere anytime) and then taking credit for a few DJs around the country raising their prices that normally would be doing so is bunk. It is not a one-size fits all DJ world.
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright © 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

Originally posted by DJ Dr. Drax
    As for Mobile Beat, They are not losing money by backing the idea that DJ's can & should charge more. In fact the opposite is true.
    Drax, great thoughts as always. However, I have to correct the above misinformation. Mobile Beat has ALWAYS backed the idea that DJ's can and should charge more. More affluent DJ's mean more subscriptions and more product sales for their advertisers. This is not rocket science.

Despite the rumors, "Getting What You're Worth" in the DJ world was not invented by a former ride announcer at Knotts Berry Farm. There are many of us who have been delivering that message for years -- in a variety of ways -- including the folks at Mobile Beat.

When I refer to Mobile Beat falling for "the message" hook, line and sinker, "the message" I refer to is NOT that DJ's should charge more, but that DJ's should charge more regardless of economic reality. And THAT is what "the message" started out as in February 2000. Its been quietly modified since then, but it still involves little in the area of good business sense.

Telling a room full of DJ's you know nothing about that they are essentially bottom feeders if they aren't charging some arbitrary amount like $1200 is "the message" that I have a huge problem with. Such a statement is completely void of economic sense and actually hurts the industry it's utterer is claiming to want to help. There are better ways.

Scott

Sid is a genius. He has incredible marketing skills that is demonstrated the volume of traffic this site has seen since he took over for Glenn. Conflict creates interest and more participation. If Sid took Dr. Draxís suggestion of closing threads before pages of silly banter occurred, this would hurt traffic and interest in this site. Why would he want to walk down the road?

DJ internet sites are very competitive, not everyone will survive. Hits and posts determine the success of this site, so like it or not bickering is very important to the success of this site and its future.

However, hereís where the line need to drawn. Posters need to ďthink before they postĒ. Itís up to the poster the set their limits. My suggestion is to have the edit feature always available to the poster, just in case; they realize after the fact that their post crossed their personal boundaries. This way, the delete feature is always an option for the poster. I donít like the fact that the administrator needs to be contacted for edits after the time limit. This is especially troubling when I read my posts and see glaring typos and words missing. Iím not going to contact the administrator because of typos, but I would like the chance to do so on my own, like some other sites, in addition, this could help posters to rethink their thoughts about misguided posts.

We all make mistakes in the moment.