Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what to play for 800 people

Question what to play for 800 people

i am about to dj at a new years eve party (2 months away) i have never been a dj for such a big crowd. i was just wondering what should i play. i know i will play all the top 40. but what are good songs to play eg, love shack, micky, etc if you guys have ne ideas please tell me, it goes for 4 1/2 hours so i need enough music to last me. rember they are all under 18
    thankx:

you do the same thing you'd do for 80 people. Read the crowd, take requests and play what makes the guests happy.

one problem the security wont let ne 1 on stage, so i cant take requests, i just wanna know what r some good songs to play for under 18s remember it is in 2 months

Simply have a request table set up in a safe place.

I usually put a couple of notebooks full of popular song listings & two clipboards with request slips. Either use a slotted box or have an assistant take them. Works great both ways.

If you make a request book, a great way to liven it up is to include use the album cover art. A bland list of several hundred songs in 12 point type tends to look a little "karaokeish". Mine have the cover of the first & last song listen on each sheet. Amazing how much more those songs are requested then the others. So make sure they are good ones. . .

Separate books for different style events are a good thing as well, you don't want Aunt Verna accidentally browsing through the hard rap selection . . .Like wise, the guy looking for his favorite Ice Tee cut may get a little concerned by the large amount of Sinatra tunes.

Originally posted by dj15
    one problem the security wont let ne 1 on stage, so i cant take requests, i just wanna know what r some good songs to play for under 18s remember it is in 2 months

Another option is to place request cards around the room, (on table and such). Then people can write down their requests and hand them to you or your assistant (and for a crowd that big you will be in need of some extra hands, and eyes).

Make sure to bring plenty of pencils and request cards, as people will walk off with the pencils, and use the cards to write down phone numbers and other non-DJ information. Just a comment.

Also, and I know this will get me slammed, but I am getting tired of these posts with words spelled in the style of the artist formerly known as, and now once again is known as Prince.
    Earl & Kelley Mangrum
    PURE ENERGY PRODUCTIONS
    Building lifelong memories, one song at a time.
    314-537-2634

Oh just play the usual crowd pleasers

Strokin'
    Macarena
    Baby Got Back
    Tootsie Roll
    Jive Bunny Mega Mix

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Wichita Falls, Tx. aka Hooterville...set your
    Strokin' for kids? Are you serious?

Why would you want to take requests from 800 people? it would just screw you up more than help. You would be so involved with the requests that you wouldn't be able to concentrate on reading the crowd, which is more important with a large gig.

Just look at the crowd, do they look country? clubby? hip-hoppy? How old do they look? Try a genre of music and see if it works, if it does keep it at that for a few songs. I wouldn't bother with requests unless I had to.

The question is like your asking us:

"How do I DJ?" it's too vague and I believe no one here could answer it for you.

I think you need a shot of confidence more than anything else. Just believe in yourself, be prepared and rock the house!

dj15,

I agree with ilyas--you're starting with a very basic question.

My first question is--is your sound system big enough? 800 bodies are like having a room filled with acoutical material--not only will the room probably be huge, but all those bodies will be absorbing what your speakers put out. You'll need a huge system to accomodate this. I hope you're charging top dollar.

As for music, don't even think about making requests easier for them. If you're having 800 people, you'll be swamped as it is. Don't supply pencils, paper, or a lis (If they don't know what song they want when they ask you, then they're wasting your time).

If you don't know what music to play for this type of crowd, then you'd better go and listen to what DJs are playing for this kind of crowd RIGHT NOW. If there's an under-18 club around, go there and track what music they play. If there's some other school dances happening, see if you can attend and do the same thing--listen to the music and watch the crowd's response toeach song.

And I second what Joe Martin wrote--if this is for minors, you might have some very pissed off adults if you play music that's inappropriate.

Brian Williamson

dont worry i am charging top doller, i get $5000 for the night
    and i am not going to take requests
    thanks 4 all your help

Is that $5000 in U.S. currency? You wouldn't be pulling our leg now would you?

I do the yearly senior formal each year for one of our local colleges. With an attendance of about 700-900, I can give you a few pointers. First off, two 15" woofers aren't gonna cut it. The first year I did this party I used four 2-way speakers, and still didn't have enough power. Now I use a pair of dual 15's and a pair of two-way 15's which do a fantastic job of filling the room.

From this gig and from the rest of my experience, I can tell you that the bigger the crowd the easier you earn your money. It's the small crowds that really take alot of effort to get going. Big crowds create an energy which is contagious - there is strength in numbers and people are not arfraid of the dance floor when there is a big crowd. I wouldn't stress over what you are going to play, you can't plan these things ahead of time. You just need to play popular music, top 40 (watch TRL), some classics (YMCA) and have a good time.

The hardest job I ever had was a new years eve party where only 30 people showed up. The hotel planning this event was expecting to fill the room, about 300 people, but they didn't sell enough tickets. The 30 people that did show up were pissed that the hotel didn't cancel the party ahead of time and let them make other plans. I pulled every trick, dance, game, and fun song I could find to entertain that crowd, and woulnd up having them come up and thank me at the end of the night for saving their NYE.

no i really get $5000 for the night
    thats why i want to make it so good

Have you even considered spreading your message on how to get that kind of money?
    Please do us all a favor. Please do not tell any of the teens how much money you are pulling down that night. The last thing we need is 800 more people jumping into this profession.

Just exactly where are you located? Is it in Southern California?

So, let me get this straight -

You are 16 years old and you're doing a New Years Eve dance and YOU are getting paid $5000?

Was this gig a gift from someone close to you?

Details, please!
    Don't sweat the small stuff - it's ALL small stuff!

I was wrong- sorry!

Let me apologize - you're ***15*** years old.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - it's ALL small stuff!

Joe:

It's 5000 Chucky Cheese dollars.

Seriously, $5000.00, I doubt very seriously if anyone would hire a 15 year old for that kind of money. Get real!

I think someone needs a nap to think this over!
    Pat McDonald
    Main Board Moderator

2003 Michael Butler Humanitarian Award, American Disc Jockey Award Show

Although I find it hard to believe, I don't disregard it unless I have reason. I am curious however,

how can you get this when you are so young, the committee is risking life and limb for you to do this. If you don't even know what to play, are you sure you're ready?

For 5 g's, I'm sure they demand a perfect show. No skips, no pops, no forgetting your traussing (happened to me once). Maybe he meant 500, but he repeated the number, so I guess it's true.

I'm just wondering who would hire him to do something at that magnitude....

Care to share? I'm sure you have a logical explanation or all of this. Tell!
    I am Global.

"Hey, it's that guy! That web designer guy! Do you like, design websites?"

ok
    i hyad this idea, i was thinking about what happens every new years over here.
    kids are always out on the streets doing drugs, steeling, starting fights etc
    so i thought if i got my dad to come to me to go see the entertainment manger of the rsl club i might get the gig. so we had a meeting and he was very excited about it. i told him every thing i would take on the night and we had a deal.
    this is no lie.
    i may be 15 but i am 1 of the biggest djs in my area
    and i do know what sort of music to play i just thought i would ask u guys to see what gets your crowds going

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast