Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About Reception Pricing. From a ??mystery?? website.

About Reception Pricing. From a ??mystery?? website.

I recently checked out a DJ's web site that I thought might be interesting to all of US. I brought this part here to get some comments to what this DJ in a west coast state had to say to prospective clients.

I saw no copyright notations.

You can make some guesses if you'd like but more to the point, "What do you think of this statement?"

It's not mine, nor does it reflect my opinions.

QUOTE:

"Why do some Disc Jockeys charge between $500 and $800 for wedding receptions?

#1: They don't offer all of the services a professional Disc Jockey should. This means very little advance planning and little or no coordination which can lead to major problems at your wedding reception.

#2: They do not realize that the success or failure of your wedding reception rests in their hands. This lack of understanding often leads to less concern about the quality of their service.

#3: Many of them are doing Disc Jockey work on a part-time basis only, or they have a team of part-timers under them who cover their jobs while they make the profits. This allows them to hire every job that comes their way at a cheaper rate and then send someone you have never met to cover your wedding reception.

The bottom line is this... If you are paying less than $1,000 for your Disc Jockey, you are taking a chance on a Disc Jockey who is most likely not a true professional and may very well sell your reception to an even less qualified Disc Jockey, that you will meet for the very first time at your reception."

Let me repeat: It's not my site, nor does it reflect my opinions.

All I see are negative comments about the "competition" to attempt to support a higher rate. Sure seems like a bad approach to selling the quality of one's service. Wouldn't you list the positive points of your service instead of this approach? I would.

Comments?
    Video Entertainment - SEE The Difference!

VJ Johnny C

(PLEASE: Always consult me before republishing my personal contributions here at DJCHAT)

While this may come off as offensive to professional DJ's, I do find value in it as being educational to consumers. Then again, its not NEARLY as offensive as the MERE PRESENCE of incompetent DJ's -- and there are A LOT of them in this industry -- REGARDLESS of the price they charge. Fact #1: They are out there. Fact #2: The typical comsumer can't tell the difference between a professional and an incompetent. Fact #3: An incompetent DJ may be an ACE salesman. Given these facts, I don't see where making consumers AWARE of the situation is truly negative. Show me an uneducated mobile DJ consumer, and after their gig, I'll show you a dissatisfied client 90% of the time.

Scott

Sorry but it rings of jealousy and bitterness probably from not making a living off of DJing.

Telling a client that that a DJ that charges less than $1000 is incompetent or doesn't supply everything you do, without know how every single DJ in your area (or as far as that goes in the country in which you live) is a blantant misstatement of fact. The fact is that a DJ charging less than half of that amount may provide every client with more than this person gives.

Charging large amounts for a service certainly doesn't guaranty anything but that you are hiring a guy whose ego is way to big to provide you with much else than a DJ who is full of himself.

Just my opinion of course.

I actually agree with you Steve -- about the money part being unnecessary. $1000 -- or ANY arbitrary figure (like $1200, for example, haha) is meaningless and does come off as blowing smoke up somebody's you-know-what. Citing the "tangible" problems with incompetent DJ's is fine, but the arbitrary $1000 figure should have been omitted.

Scott

All is nebulous until someone actually calls the person that authored the site and shops him to see what exactly he offers for his price that in his opinion others don't in his operating territory.
    Bill Murray, Owner ( DJ Tock )
    Counter Clockwise Productions Inc.
    www.Counter-Clockwise.com
    www.VirginiaWeddingDJ.com
    757-368-7800

Hey John that sounds like a chicks site that I frequent. I could not believe she charged $400 anywhere within a 2 hour driving period. WTF up with that.

Some people just never learn. I remember getting crapped on when I told you guys what I charged but hey it is like a community that people don't make a grand in one night. To them it is an insult to think they have that kind of money.
    :p
    DJ Boom

Boom,

It's a guy's site. He comes here and stirs it up with the other hard working DJs and then disappears for a while after. He comes here and spends a lot of time taking notes too.

Scott,

I was offended mostly by the dollar amount too. I would think educating people about what to be on the look out for would be most important. Telling people that a certain dollar amount makes a good or bad DJ is an insult to the hard workers in our field.

Does it make a differance that the "cost of living" where this person is, is a lot higher than where I live? Maybe?

I still go back to the fact that I would prefer to tell my potential customers the positive things I do and not lead them down a path of "here's why you shouldn't hire this guy" based on dollars or any other logical approach. I believe most potential clients are turned off right away by attempting to educate them by attacking others in your field this way.
    Video Entertainment - SEE The Difference!

VJ Johnny C

(PLEASE: Always consult me before republishing my personal contributions here at DJCHAT)

True about the educating them about pricing. I got a call last week for an Xmas gig, Told them 500 but because he works to get me DJ Magazines I would go down to 400. He called today and said head office said 400 is too much. I said that is okay you will be calling me next year you xmas gig. Proven fact.
    :p
    DJ Boom

Yes, it's Peter Merry of Lastdance, or DJ Gila as you know him.

He is a FT jock BTW, no other job.

I have an advantage in speaking about him KNOWLEDGEABLY (not suppositions) because in VEGAS he showed me his signed contracts and planners. I spent a lot of time with him and listened to his laptop presentation audios which he creates for the introductions he does, and saw first hand how much detail he throws in when he does a wedding reception. His planner is amazingly detailed. I want to go with my wedding receptions where he is going from a style and organizational perspective.

Incredible detail, and yes, at that time 1800 a show. He's getting 2100 now. (Seen those contracts too up close and personal)

In his Market, from his perspective, a 500-1000 DJ is like a $200 DJ in many other markets. And the horror stories he tells about clients motivated the writing of that last point.

To each his own. It works for him, so he is doing SOMETHING right.

Thumbs down

Ok whats the WEBSITE

Let us all see this so called NOSE Blower at work.
    I have to laugh when a dj that Blows his own horn than rather EDUCATE the whole Dj Community

From what I have read on the post so far, sounds like yet another well to put it "BLUNTLY" an IDIOT...

This person if he/she worked for what he/she is is really worth, wouldnt be saying things to that affect.. when this person knows or should know he/she would be blown down very fast by others.

Oh well looks like I wont be listening to this person again -

have a nice day all
    DjDennis Clark
    (In this crazy business for 35+ years)
    MySpace: http://myspace.trebleclefdj.com.au
    Facebook: http://facebook.trebleclefdj.com.au

Don Cook
    Puttin' On the Hits!
    Technician Class HAM - KC2MGO
    US Navy Vet 1980-1986 - ET2 - USS Conolly DD979

12. Dennis,

Congratulations on a well thought out, reasoned and articulate post! I'll admit to have never seen such brilliance. Well done.

Truly, you are a microcosm of what DJCHAT is all about.

Thank you for educating us all with your breathtaking insite.

Originally posted by bill smith
    Dennis,

Congratulations on a well thought out, reasoned and articulate post! I'll admit to have never seen such brilliance. Well done.

Truly, you are a microcosm of what DJCHAT is all about.

Thank you for educating us all with your breathtaking insite.

So Bill did I mention any NAMES ??

Did I put this one Person Down as in I didnt know at that time WHO he/she was

I am saying that if I was to write an article for that I wouldnt be putting others down and making myself sound BIGGER than my head can stand

anyway have a nice day
    DjDennis Clark

Things must be getting boring again at the site Mr. BS calls home. Here's a napkin Bill, there's something brown on your nose.

Scott

Bill,

I'm sorry but knowing who the author is does nothing but reinforce my origional post on the subject. And once again nothing but strenghen many others position on the subject at hand.

I am not saying by any means that Peter is not a great DJ, he may full well be. As a matter of a fact he may be a better DJ than any other in the world. But that is a subjective statement isn't it.

The point of the origional post here by John Christian, I believe was to get opinions as to the statements made on the web site concerning.

The verasity of these statements

A. "They don't offer all of the services a professional Disc Jockey should. This means very little advance planning and little or no coordination which can lead to major problems at your wedding reception."

B. "They do not realize that the success or failure of your wedding reception rests in their hands. This lack of understanding often leads to less concern about the quality of their service."

C. "Many of them are doing Disc Jockey work on a part-time basis only, or they have a team of part-timers under them who cover their jobs while they make the profits. This allows them to hire every job that comes their way at a cheaper rate and then send someone you have never met to cover your wedding reception."

D. "The bottom line is this... If you are paying less than $1,000 for your Disc Jockey, you are taking a chance on a Disc Jockey who is most likely not a true professional and may very well sell your reception to an even less qualified Disc Jockey, that you will meet for the very first time at your reception."

I certainly hope that you are not so blind as to believe this to be Fact. When the only FACT is that all of the above statments are simply misinformation given out to potential customers. The whole gist of the site is a negative advertisement, it is not construvtive nor informative of or about this industry.

To put it simply Peter could have done a lot better than this bottomfeeder attempt at advertisement. To me it is a lot like Political gamesmanship during a campaign for election.

I don't care who the canidate is or what their position is, if they resort to negative campaigns they have already lost my vote before they even get started. Peter Merry very well could be in the same boat without this type of attack on 98% of the industry, he could very well have doubled his business, using a more toned method.

The point is as many have said before and as I live by (advertise your strengths and leave your competitors out of it and you will go a lot futher).

Frankly, I feel if you are good then you don't need to advertise anyway but that is just from my experience.

Bill,

One more question.

If Peter spends so much time to the details of a wedding he is about to perform, when does he have time to visit the jobs of all these other DJ's that he tells all these horror stories about?

I can tell you from experience in the field of construction, that someone can be a meticulous planner and a master of detail and work wonders when handling the puplic and still be a total idiot when it comes to performing the work. I have seen many companies started by these kind of people that went under in the first year of business.

But then the fast talking Con man uses these same methods to take people quite often. Did you know I could pave your driveway with 1 inch of cold pack asphalt and until bad weather hits you will think you have gotten the greatest deal in the world.

Bill, If you fall for a fancy show on a computer presentation then all I can say is I feel sorry for you. By the way I am working on a double handful of contracts right now that are $5000 each and I will fax copies of them to you for proof that I get that kind of money for DJing if you would like.

P.S. My family is building a large lake in Death Valley and would like to know if you would be interested in some lake front property in our new Death Valley Lake Resort community.

Very Well Said Steve

it seems that some Guys even after only been a Dj for a FEW Years still have NO IDEA on how to Operate and follow

what is actually written on Other sites

I would say that since BS is looking at it that how busy are you

I know I am fully BOOKED up until FEB Next Year

So does that make me NOT supply whats written - so what they get the best on what I supply Not what others tell the General Public what they SHOULD Have

have a nice day
    DjDennis Clark

Originally posted by Steve Miller
    Bill, If you fall for a fancy show on a computer presentation then all I can say is I feel sorry for you.

By the way I am working on a double handful of contracts right now that are $5000 each and I will fax copies of them to you for proof that I get that kind of money for DJing if you would like..
    Jeeeeez, Guys......................PLAY NICE, will ya??!!

You all sound like a bunch of bickering little kids. "My bike's better than your bike !" Good grief........go read some of the petty little BS you all just threw around this post, will ya....?

Steve, I'm glad you're getting $5000.00 a gig. You da man ! But, it doesn't matter HOW much you or I or the next guy are making. It's personal and a measure of success......for yourself.

I charge sometimes $500.00...............sometimes $1295.00. More if I can. And sometimes, I give people a break. I am successful because I am working at what I love, I get referrals all the time from every gig and I'm Happy.

So, everybody get over yourselves, already.

I originally wanted to comment on the computer presentation. It's like showing the bride a video; I don't believe in that either. It's gotta be a "perty" stupid couple that thinks a video or any other visual presentation is representative of how you work a gig.

No. That presentation is ONLY your BEST foot forward. If every gig went the way it's portrayed on video, you have news media coverage for your next "walk on water."

You have to sell the B&G on you....not a video. You are the PERSON they want to trust with their wedding.

We in radio get tapes from disc jockeys all the time. Does anyone get hired off a tape alone. NO. If we like the sound of the tape, we'll make some calls and get some referrals and speak to some people who know this person's work.

And, perhaps a B&G will do their due diligence as well...........I hope so.

But, for a DJ to be fooled by another DJ's video presentation ?! SHAME, SHAME, SHAME !

C'mon, folks. It's just common sense, I think, that a video is just fluff. Use the time and money you spent making it to increase your knowledge about the business, sales, performance and people skills. It'll pay off a lot better in the long run.

Now that I read this post back I must say, Sorry I sounded harsh up front. The thing about money on the website and then from Steve just triggered a "so-freaking-what?" response. Do this biz because you love entertaining and the money will follow. Success for Steve is 5 grand for some it may be 200 bux.

If you are giving quality entertainment and the client feels he got his money's worth, then 200 ain't too little and 5 grand ain't too much now is it?

DJSkip
    DJKoolSkip
    Deposed Leader: KOOL 105.5 - West Palm Beach
    C.E.O. (Chief Entertainment Officer)
    SK Productions Entertainment
    Serving South Florida since 1980 ::spinz::
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson."

Skip,

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension course. If you read the response at all you would have caught what i was saying.

I went back and reread it several times just to be sure I didn't miss something that you caught, but no matter how many times I read it it still says the same thing.

Here maybe this will help;

"Bill, If you fall for a fancy show on a computer presentation then all I can say is I feel sorry for you. By the way I am working on a double handful of contracts right now that are $5000 each and I will fax copies of them to you for proof that I get that kind of money for DJing if you would like.

P.S. My family is building a large lake in Death Valley and would like to know if you would be interested in some lake front property in our new Death Valley Lake Resort community."

In case this confuses you Death Valley is a large dessert, no rivers, no creeks, very little vegetation.

Get the picture?

Dear Mr. Martin,

You're a little wise-*****, aren't you?

Originally posted by Steve Miller
    Skip,

Maybe you should take a reading comprehension course. If you read the response at all you would have caught what i was saying.

This is not the place for that low self-esteem building tactic, sir. You don't know me nor my educational background. All you know about me is that I'm a DJ, like you, and I come here for new ideas and advice and perhaps to impart my 25 years experience with others reading this board. If you start personal attacks, you can expect them back. Witness same throughout this entire thread we are on right now.

And, by the way, my reading comprehension is just fine, thank you, is yours?

I was AGREEING with you about the video presentation being a lot of fluff. I gave a few examples to back up the statement (which happened to be YOURS in the first place).

I was also alluding to the fact that this thread was getting to the point of name calling and whining and "one-upsmanship." WRONG PLACE FOR IT.

Let's be constructive here. Rather than tearing another DJ a new you-know-what, let's pick each others' brains in a CONSTRUCTIVE manner and find out how the rest of us can make it BETTER; how we can learn from his mistakes.

When we stoop to criticism, we are only going to learn but one thing here: HOW TO CRITICISE !

So, back on track, how do we fight the negative ad campaigns with positives about our own DJ businesses?

Why do some stoop so low (like politicians) as to use the negative advertising like our friend mentioned at the top of this post?

Do you think it works with the B&G, really?

Steve and Dennis and the rest, I hope we can clean it up and keep it positive from now on. No slamming each other.

I will if you will. In fact, I believe I will anyway

DJSkip
    DJKoolSkip
    Deposed Leader: KOOL 105.5 - West Palm Beach
    C.E.O. (Chief Entertainment Officer)
    SK Productions Entertainment
    Serving South Florida since 1980 ::spinz::
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast