Thread: $5,000.00? California plague moves East.

$5,000.00? California plague moves East.

I received a call from the ADJA website from an individual that was looking for a "fatboy slim"-type of DJ. I specialize in weddings so I referred them to another DJ friend that deals with "name acts".

Turns out "Fatboy Slim", "Moby", "Boy George" and other big names were out of their budget so they decided on a popular underground club jock.

My friend booked the DJ for $5,000.00 and the client also is paying for airfare, hotel and equipment (to be set-up and ready to go) at the gig. Imagine that, $5,000.00 to show up with just your music. By the way... The gig is not in California.

A New York DJ friend of mine just booked himself a gig for $1,350.00 for Dec. 8th in Philly.

Although many prospective ADJA members (and ADJA members) I talk to are still charge $400.00 - $600.00, I am finding a number of companies that are "moving up" with success:
    WA: $995.00/4 hours
    MA: $750.00/4 hours
    TX: $995.00/4 hours
    NH: $700.00/4 hours
    WI: $1,200.00/4 hours
    IL: $1,200.00/4 hours
    CO: $995.00/4 hours

It seems like this "California plague" is starting to spread across the country. I ask all doubting DJs to please get vaccinated before you catch this dangerous virus. It usually attacks the brain first.

It then turns into a belief System.

Symptoms include: uniqueness, open-mindedness and creativity.

ok

*yawn*

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    DjDennis Clark
    (In this crazy business for 35+ years)
    MySpace: http://myspace.trebleclefdj.com.au
    Facebook: http://facebook.trebleclefdj.com.au

Paul Oakenfold $10,000 for ONE HOUR

Bad Boy Bill is getting up there in price

Digweed (formerly of Twilo) gets around the same as Oakenfold.

Psycho Bitch is hugely popular in Chicago and also travels now.

There are many others. Anybody who thinks that djs can't command more than we are is mistaken. The difference is that an Oakenfold is spinning at a place where they can charge Euro-trash and glitterati customers a $2000 (yes, that's two thousand dollars) per person door when people like him are spinning so they can make it up and still make a huge profit for a night.

Exclamation While I am in agreement that we all need to charge higher rates . . .

and I am in the process of reaching that goal myself!

But, I can't imagine people paying $2000 per head to see a DJ . . .

That is just plain nuts . . . whats up with that?

Hell, I wouldn't even pay $100 per head to see 'The Rolling Stones' !

But then again, some of the 'barely 20 somethings' don't seem to have a clue about the value of money these days!

Sorry if I offended anyone, but . . .

John M. Daniels
    Music Doctor DJ
    Denver, Colorado

"....that's a big pile of s**t!"

Malcolm-Jurassic Park (the original)
    Pat McDonald
    Main Board Moderator

2003 Michael Butler Humanitarian Award, American Disc Jockey Award Show

Re: $5,000.00? California plague moves East.

Originally posted by Peace
    My friend booked the DJ for $5,000.00 and the client also is paying for airfare, hotel and equipment (to be set-up and ready to go) at the gig. Imagine that, $5,000.00 to show up with just your music. By the way... The gig is not in California.

It is not unheard of a DJ "Artist" making this kind of cash and has nothing to do with the plague or movement.

A New York DJ friend of mine just booked himself a gig for $1,350.00 for Dec. 8th in Philly.

Hart to Hart, John Rozz Bobby Morganstien and other eastcoast Djs have been getting $1500-$5000 for gigs long before many that tought they should spread the "word" about such rates became mobile DJs. But you knew that you ahve been around a while Mark.

Although many prospective ADJA members (and ADJA members) I talk to are still charge $400.00 - $600.00, I am finding a number of companies that are "moving up" with success:
    WA: $995.00/4 hours
    MA: $750.00/4 hours
    TX: $995.00/4 hours
    NH: $700.00/4 hours
    WI: $1,200.00/4 hours
    IL: $1,200.00/4 hours
    CO: $995.00/4 hours

You give no facts as to what they provide for this amount, what type of event it is or how many are getting this rate. We did two New Years Eve parties a year or so ago for $1500+, but it has nothing to do with the plague or movement. We got those rates because we were in the area that would pay those rates, nothing more. One DJ getting one gig for a higher price means nothing. If 90% of the DJs in a certian area are booking enough gigs at a higher price to make as much, if not more than what they did before they raised their price, then you have something.

It seems like this "California plague" is starting to spread across the country. I ask all doubting DJs to please get vaccinated before you catch this dangerous virus. It usually attacks the brain first.
    It then turns into a belief System.

Symptoms include: uniqueness, open-mindedness and creativity.

I am all for making more money, but I am also realistic. What I have learned over the past few years from very successful local and national businessmen is, it does not matter what you are worth if there is no one willing to pay the price in your area
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

I am so freaking bored with this pricing issue!

Want to make extra money during the weekdays? Learn more about the exciting and profitable world of preschool entertainment at Bubble Parties.com!

John I am going to create a new Icon just for these posts so those not wanting to view them can skip over them.
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    The above is an opinion Copyright 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

Five grand plus airfare for a DJ??

Hell... some of the better known names in Country music play county fairs for less.

Maybe it's me... maybe I'm going crazy. Where do these people get their money?
    Fred and Shirl - Night Wolf Entertainment. Est. 1993.
    National Membership Director, USODJA.com
    Sponsor, Annual Curves For Women Bachelor Auction.
    Lifetime member of the GAS support group.

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. They're easier to handle than dumb mistakes.

Wolfie,
    You are right. I have said this in the past. You can have BonJovi and other great bands and artists play for your event for that kind of money. The guy Mark is speaking of is in a group of DJs that are called artists. He is NOT a wedding DJ or a regular mobile DJ.
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net

Actually, there are no name djs like myself getting $5000+ for events. Are they the norm? NO. Did I work much harder/long/higher expenses for the money? Absolutely. Are there people that can afford it? You bet. Example, I did a summer party for a well known construction magnate here in Chicagoland. My fee was $25,000. Here's what I had to do.

10 video screens scattered around the grounds (he lives on about 50 acres). 3 separate sound systems and djs for the day, about 36 hours of spinning between the 3 systems. We had 8 djs throughout the event in shifts and taking breaks and naps. One unmanned karaoke system.

60+ intelligent fixtures and 2 3 watt lasers for the night. 10 foggers.

And the big part: all the cabling had to be buried or hidden in bushes so that none was visible. That alone took a day and a half.

There were approximately 4000 people in and out throughout the day and night. The event started at noon and went to about 6 or 7 the next morning.

$5000 "plague" ??? -- Why is it that every time a "California Boys Club" member stops by here its to paint the walls with more BS concerning their "message."

A lie by any other name would smell as rank.

To paraphrase Michael Douglas in "The American President" ... "Their problem isn't that they don't get it. Their problem is that they can't sell it."

Hey, a guy down the street sold me a baloney sandwich for $100 but he said it was the best baloney sandwich in the world. He seemed honest so I bought it. You know what? -- It tasted pretty close to every other baloney sandwich I've ever eaten.

Get THAT.

Scott