Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics from last Sunday

I'm like VISA, Everywhere You Want Me To Be!!

Pics from last Sunday

Hey guys. This was one of my biggest gigs so far. Estimated at about 1000 people. It was the opening of the new athletic center at the school where I go (so did my grandfather, father, uncle, aunt.... etc.) We did not charge alot because this was a fundraiser and they asked me if I would mind helping out (I figure, I would do it for free for that type of exposure).
    We were very flexible... We played from 3-5 in one of the older gyms, backround popular music for the kids. I tore down at 5 and moved to a large tent about 200 yards away. It went very smoothly. The nicest part was that they had me set up right next to the temporary power distro they had put up. It had 15 differetn 20 amp circuts on it. Anyway, I have a bunch of pics to show you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment
    "Mobile of the Month"-DJ Times January 2002

More
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

This is a view of some of the gear used...
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

This is the empty tent
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

From the front...
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

One of the perks... (I am not in this pic, the DJ is one of my employees.)
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

Moe,
    I can only wish my equipment was in that good of shape. It almost looks new. As for the DJ he looks a little young. Kind of like Romper Room DJ Service. LOL
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

Sid, don't you remember that Im only 13, for the full scoop read the DJ Times Mobile of the Month Spot in the FEB. issue. I love my Showcase presentation case, execept you might be able to see the place where the carpet fell off. The people who made the case are great, I lost one of the Friction doors on the front and they are gettin me a new one pretty cheap. Great Product, How much do you thihk that rack cost, I will tell you later. Hint, it was made by hand one at a time by one person.
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

I'm curious, since you have actual employees (I only sub-contract help) how do you handle payroll? are they hourly? how much would you say their take home is after taxes & medicare are deducted? how much (annually) would you say you have to pay out in workman's comp and disabilities insurance?

I've often thought of going the route of hiring instead of contracting but it seems a bit too costly, what percentage would you say (prior to profit) is spent on your overhead costs? are you charging $4,000 a gig? what's the secret to actual "employment" in this industry (without taking extreme losses)?

one last question; why are there two teen aged girls touching the equipment? that's an insurance risk, if your insurance company were to find out you allowed uninsured persons to handle company equipment you could have your policy voided.

also, if one of those girls were to, oh let's say, GET ELECTRICUTED (or simply harmed by the equipment) you can be held accountable for any and all damages/injuries, have you had any claims filed against you yet?

word of advice; don't let anyone that isn't on your policy touch your equipment

Dan, thanks for the advice about the insurence, but we have a clause in our contract stating that all injuries, etc are the responcibilaty of purchaser. With the exeption of gross neglegence on the part of the DJ. Would you consider that gross neglegence. Also, are you really serius about the employee questoin, cuase if you are I will answer. One more question, are you being serius with the whole thing, OR are you givin me are hard time?
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

first of all, it most certainly would be negligence at it's very best to have uninsured persons handling insured properties

secondly, yes, dead serious about the questions because I currently only sub-contract, since it's easier to just pay them and let the contractors take care of their own taxes (1099 misc. income) and for them to bond themselves.

I am a full time disc jockey and I have one sub contracted DJ that works for me (on occasion) but I am looking at expanding (since gaining another party planner) because I have more contracts than I can handle on my own but have little to offer subcontractors (other than average pay), I'd like to offer some health benefits as a "perk" and not have to worry about it ruining me. I figured, since you are only 13 and can do it (without seeing a loss in revenue), I should have no problem coming up with a decent payroll program, but I'm still curious as to what & how you are paying out for workman's comp & disability insurance, how many employees are currently working for you?

these are very easy questions to answer (i'd say 1 - 2 minutes), if you are already "legally" employing DJs, however, if you can't answer, just say so, don't "brow beat" it, I'm looking for serious answers only and the wrong answers could conflict with my current business plan (which I'd like to somewhat keep "intact")

thanks for whatever help you can give, I'll check back in another 10 minutes patiently awaiting your answers
    Dan

Jeopardy Theme playing in the background

hmmm, you're still signed in to DJ Chat, any answers?

Ok, sorry about the confusion. I will not "brown beat" this, I will hit it head on. When I said employees, I just meant people that I pay "under the table" when they help me. I just CONSIDER them employees becuase its the same three people that work for me, not a different kid every time. There are certain things that I have yet to do, such as become an LLC (which my family's lawer recomended) and give my "employees" health benofits. The people that help me are minors too, and they have their own health insurance from their parents. I know that my equipment is insured, and I THINK that I have liabliabty insurance, although my parents talk care of that type of stuff.

**** Just as a side note, I was at one of my "employees" bar mitzvah parties and to make a long story short, I told them that I was a DJ (I guess they didn't believe me) and asked to see me mix. I did and they were very impressed (They wanted to hire me). The company was New York Entertainment (a very large company similar to BMP) www.nyent.com so I wonder if they too are in violation of insurace policies too? But then again their Promo Only's were burned copies.
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

it's ok, I know Sharpy syndrome well enough to tell that you were lying in your third sentence, there's no way you could have handled 1,000 people with only those two Electro Voice speakers, incidently, where is the picture of "1,000 people" that supposably attended?

I only saw the Olsen Twins

Originally posted by DJ MoJoe
    so I wonder if they too are in violation of insurace policies too? But then again their Promo Only's were burned copies.
    ya think so?

Re: Pics from last Sunday

We were very flexible... We played from 3-5 in one of the older gyms, backround popular music for the kids.
    BACKROUND MUSIC, In fact they told me to turn it down. If you send me your address I will mail you the thank you letter they sent me, allong with the phone number so you can call and ask. I can also give you a list of references if you want. Also, I had a sub so there were more than two spaekers. But I do know that I need more than those for school dances, at which I brought 4 speakers and the sub. One, more thing, why do you not believe me?
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

Re: Re: Pics from last Sunday

BACKROUND MUSIC, In fact they told me to turn it down. If you send me your address I will mail you the thank you letter they sent me, allong with the phone number so you can call and ask. I can also give you a list of references if you want. Also, I had a sub so there were more than two spaekers. But I do know that I need more than those for school dances, at which I brought 4 speakers and the sub. One, more thing, why do you not believe me?

that's quite ok, I'm sure you probably are a DJ, no doubt, but your story is a bit exagerated. To start with, why would you be providing background music in an empty gym? where are all the people? why is every picture in a different place? (first one in a gym, last one next to a window) finally,

Originally posted by DJ Mojoe
    Also, are you really serius about the employee questoin, cuase if you are I will answer. One more question, are you being serius with the whole thing, OR are you givin me are hard time?
    you were brow beating by that simple answer, you said you would answer me, here is your answer;

Originally posted by DJ Mojoe
    Ok, sorry about the confusion. I will not "brown beat" this, I will hit it head on. When I said employees, I just meant people that I pay "under the table" when they help me. I just CONSIDER them employees becuase its the same three people that work for me, not a different kid every time.

In other words, you could have just said that when I asked in the first place, but you didn't, you proceded to make it seem as though you had the answers (you lied)

To employ is to hire someone and place them on payroll, to contract is to pay out set amounts of money for independant work

under the table *is* illegal, no self respecting businessman (or woman) would practice this because, first of all, you are breaking the law, secondly; you have no way to track expenses and/or income, making it harder to claim and finally; you're screwing yourself out of a taxable deduction toward the quarterly (or annual) tax season.

You may very well be a DJ, I'm not saying you are not, but a professional would not conduct their business in this manner, thus making you an ametuer (nothing wrong with that, everyone starts somewhere) but to come to a board of professionals and flat out lie (and even show pictures, proving the lie) is just plain wrong, I suggest wiping the slate clean, destroy (delete, archive, whatever) this thread along with your other thread and just be honest from now on, otherwise, it may happen again, just ask Sharpy, we still torment him. I don't wish that on anyone, I will forget this thread (and respect you more) if you be truthful

respectfully,

Dan

"you were brow beating by that simple answer, you said you would answer me, here is your answer; " OK, My answer was what I said, I just didn't know at first if you were crappen me or not. Anyway, The OLD gym is empty because I took the pictures before the event started. The tent is empty because I took that Picture after I had set up, while everyone was in the NEW gym participating in an auction. Now, the last one was my mistake, That was from the Party this past weekend. I really am here to help out and learn, just like you, so if you don't mind, how could I be more professional in paying my help? I understand why you could think I am lying, but I SWEAR TO GOD that I am not. Really, if you have a question Email me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk. I am not trying to say this in a nasty tone, I am just commenting. What do you think I am lying about exactly though?
    Joe Rosenberg
    CEO Energy Entertainment

What do you think I am lying about exactly though?

a) 1,000 people

b) employees (which you've already changed your answer)

c) the fact that an "employee" is pictured and you are not

d) the fact that there were only two speakers ever pictured in any of the photos (no amp or amps even shown)

e) the fact that you could have just said you "pay people under the table" instead of saying "are you really serius about the employee questoin, cuase if you are I will answer"

obviously, you want to stick to your story, that's your choice, but if you wish to continue this then i have no choice but to bring the topic up on the main board for everyone else to join in, maybe I'm being judgemental here, but after the "Sharpy Incident" I have started to take notice on more details than what I usually do and noticed discrepancies in your posts that didn't go with the pictures.

why would you take pictures before a show but not during? what would be the point in labelling the thread "Sunday's Pictures"? couldn't these pictures have been taken at anytime?

Learn all you want, I am not trying to discourage you from learning or sharing valid ideas, but one Sharpy is already too many for this business board.

Dan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast