Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ding Ding Ding BULLSH** detector going off again

Ding Ding Ding BULLSH** detector going off again

Why is it that we have so many of the younger DJs that seem to think they have to impress us all with some huge sound or light systems or some huge number of gigs done or some huge fee that they charge.

I find it hard to believe that you can go to school and work hundreds of parties in just two or three years of DJing (and yes I know there is always an exception to the rule) And I have to wonder if there is even that nuch time put in yet.

I also find it hard to believe that some one still in High school or fresh out of it can have the available funds to purchase these huge sound and light systems that they say they have. Unless someone else (read Daddy) is footing the bill.

Maybe it is because I came up harder and really had to work for what I have that makes me feel this way. But it took me years of hard work to get me to where I am today. I don't understand how a 13 to 18 year old can accomplish the same thing it took me 20 years to do in a matter of a year or two.

Maybe it is just jealousy on my part or maybe I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and just didn't know how to make things work for me. I mean I do do a large volume of work every year now but it isn't some thing that happened over night, it took me years to build a reputation and following to get me here.

But some of the DJ's here can do what I have done in days instead of years.

Some of them have all these hidden lights and hidden sound systems so that you only see a small amount of what they actually have at a gig, it forever will amaze me.

This is just me tired and wondering.

Steve,

I will have to agree that there is probably some story telling going on, there is no doubt of that. On the other hand When you and I started ther was not this HUGE thing called the internet to help us. These new dj's have a vast amount of knowledge and information right here on this site. It gives them a huge advantage over what you and I had when we started.

If I had know about all the products that were availible, or if there were even as many when I started, I would have saved a lifes savings on equipment. If I had known about the music services, i would have a second house. If I had all the information on how to get started, and do it the right way, things would have gone alot faster for me too.

This site in it's self makes a new dj's life so much easier.

So for all you newbies maybe you can see why some of us old timers can get so upset some times. We had to travel the road of hard knocks to get what we have. It makes it very hard for us to see a new guy who can start right up and be very succsessful from the start.
    Dave Nye
    Night Life Mobile Dj Service
    Decatur Michigan
    Since 1985

Once upon a time . . .

20 years ago:

DJ equipment was not part of the Consumer electronics and home entertainment arena.

$500 buys more gear today than it did 20 years ago because plastic manufacturing, technology, etc. have made it possible to mass produce cheaper products with more features.

$500 was a lot more money 20 years ago than it is today.

But there's more than equipment behind the success of "newbies."

An entertainment driven economy means people don't just want to see movies or listen to music - they want to edit their own. DJ equipment is becoming another extension of the home entertainment system, just like video editing and recording equipment. Furthermore, the Personal Computer revolution is accelerating this change by merging all of these technologies.

It is increasingly difficult for any DJ who fails to acquire specific new skills or talent to differentiate their service from that of any home music enthusiast.

The result is a casualty list of event types that become the domain of the "do-it-yourselfer". Today that includes teen parties, schools and colleges, where young, tech savvy players abound.

As technology brings new ways of delivering music - change will continue to climb up the event ladder. I think it is nieve to believe that "Disc-Jockey" will still be a title used by event professionals 20 years from now.

I also think that the "Interactive/Entertainer" revolution that has swept over the DJ business is just a sympton of this much larger change. (I'm not an advocate for either side.) My point is that it's currently a popular career change for people who have realized the economic ceiling of being a DJ.

The ceiling is not moving - but the floor is getting higher and consequently changing the definition of Disc-Jockey. Adapting to this change is going to require more than just "being a better DJ."

Wink

Yeah Steve,
    Sometimes I read things and feel the same way you do. I wonder if and why these people are exagerating or lying.
    The worst thing and the best thing about the internet is the anonymity of it. You'll never likely be able to PROVE whether they're telling the truth or not. Anyone can say pretty much anything they want.
    I hate to sound like my dad, but you know the old saying, when you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.
    I think there's a lot of people who feel like you but don't say anything because it's really pointless trying to point the finger at someone because you can never prove it... and if you DID prove it, it doesn't matter because nobody really knows who anyone else is.

Well anyways I'm starting to rant, so that's enough from me.

pk
    I don't need a signature, thanks.

Steve,
    It's not hard to believe. Look at it from a newbie point of view. The most talked about topic seems to be equipment. If you really read the posts here we all seem to use the word, "I" way too much.

I carry 1000 CD's.
    I have Pioneer CD players.
    I have the Mackies.
    I use 12 tops and 6 subs.
    I use a distro.
    I only use intelligent lights.

etc...

Can you blame a young DJ for reading this stuff and getting the idea that the biggest and baddest will impress a seasoned DJ. Heck, I talk to seasoned DJ's everyday that still aren't impressed unless you've spent $1,000 on CD players. It's too bad.

I've learned not to compete on how much money I spend anymore, or how many gigs I get compared to fellow DJ's.

I hope others will also realize trying to impress, is NOT impressive.

welllllll.

Hi Steve,

I would like to challenge you on your point about how a 13 - 18 year old can find time and money to fund the development of a small business. Unfortunately I can only relate to my own experiences, therefore I apologise for the excessive use of "I" and "me" in this reply.

I will not state my age in this thread, but I do fall into your category.

I have only just left high school last summer and I am now earning in excess of £15 k + PA from DJing. I my "standard" sound system is a 3000 watt system (see my thread about "last year's wedding system" for photos) and I am doing a MINIMUM of three gigs a week (last I week I did four, including interactive / games compering events and "standard" DJing).

As you aked, I will outline a few ways in which a young person can do this:
    i. Efficient lifestlye - many young people watch TV and play computer games, if one removes those activities from their life they have a LOT of time.
    ii. Education, being educated in the running of a business helps to understand marketing and finance.
    iii. DRIVE, if a young person wants something tnad they have what iot takes they can get it.
    iv. honesty, people like to help a younf honest person, and it's this helps which will propell a young person in their business.
    v. selflessness, to do things for the ego of it is a sure way of failing.

Another thing, since the age of 14 I have not recieved ANYTHING but food and shelter from my family. So the rich dad arguement doesn't stand with me.

I have worked my a*se off to achieve the relatively small amount of success I have achieved.

However, I do seriously wonder about the claims many of the young people on these boards make.

These such people whould realise their AGE is NOT IMPORTANT as the internet is a faceless, nameless communication medium and if they really are so intent on learning and becoming better professionals (etc etc) they should SHUT UP about their age and just get on with discussions.

It's not a place to work on egos. Although I do appreciate how important it is to show off achievements oncve in a while.
    Johnny Palmer
    S-X-S Discotheques, Entertainments and Events
    +44 (1425) 483 277
    e-mail: johnnypalmer@lineone.net
    URL: www.s-x-s.co.uk

one other thing,

I'm still a full-time student getting a three year bachelor degree.....

.... in business administration.
    Johnny Palmer
    +44 (1425) 483 277

Originally posted by DAVE NYE

These new dj's have a vast amount of knowledge and information right here on this site. It gives them a huge advantage over what you and I had when we started.
    This site in it's self makes a new dj's life so much easier.

This is a great point Dave, I want to echo this point and say that I think these newbies are smarter than we give them credit for.

They are not only gaining knowledge about equipment (the easiest thing to get), they are gaining the knowledge about the untangeables that really was the hard part part for us old timers; learning about contracts, selling techniques, what others charge, that meeting with customers teaches you what they want, etc...

I think the bragging about equipment is their way of saying that the other stuff is in place, but the equipment is the touch and feel stuff.

I will brag about it, but I can't imagine a new DJ saying to another "I just met with a client and I gave them the best customer service you could imagine". They brag about equipment because it's cool.

These DJ's are smart, they are learning everything that it takes to be successful. I, too wish that I would have had these types of resources when I was a newbie. Probably Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in waisted money on crappy equipment and not charging enough for my services would be in my pocket.

Just my thoughts.
    Geoffrey Sandler
    Celebrations Entertainment

"We think up new ways to launch a shuttle into space, we enable man to perform space walks, we figure out how to re-enter the atmosphere and land our space craft on a runway.

Lighten up, it's not like being a professional Mobile DJ"

Congrats Johnny on your early success. Experience which only comes with time will make you even a bigger success. Sounds like you will avoid many of the courses in the school of hard knocks.
    Cheers!
    Bill James

Johnny Palmer:

Never underestimate the value of food and shelter.
    John Hughes
    Convention Producer
    Mid-America DJ Convention - Louisville, KY
    http://www.midamericadj.com
    The DJ Convention designed by DJs for DJs!

I'm confident there is lying or at the very least a far stretch of the truth occuring on the boards. At the same time, there are some very serious, younger djs who are making a name for themselves.

At 23, I have owned my business for 5 years and been a mobile since '93. I had the privledge of meeting a senior in high school two years back who approached me asking for more information on how to be a dj. I get this from time to time and don't think anything of it after I had them my card. This guy was different. He was student council president and had drive... only did I learn that when he picked up the phone for advice on how to get started.

Now in his second year of business at age 19, this guy is doing things I wish I had achieved. He has his own new car, great gear, good repore with clients, and yes, he charges fairly. In some cases more than I.

His mother is very supportive of him, but financially I don't imagine backed him that much at all. Everything he has done has been by himself.

There are many success stories involved here as well. I could cite another young, up and coming group of djs in the area that is on track to do the same thing.

To be honest, I'll tell you what I feel is some of their secrets: drive, ambition, dedication, hardwork, and yes, charging the same if not more than the other working djs in the market. These are the guys who are helping to set the "new" market average. In some cases they are bringing the veterans up. They have less to lose so early on in the pricing game and can perhaps take greater risks. So far, it's working.

--Chris
    High Impact DJs - Chicago

Bill, Thanx for the compliment - I hope to keep developing my skills at this pace for the rest of my career.

John, I know food and shelter are improtant. Hey, if we didn't have 'em we'd be dead right!! Did you mean something else though? Maybe you were saying something deeper I didn't understand?

It's seems to me as though we are distinguising between two types of "yougn DJs" here.

Firstly, Kid DJs
    These are the guys who seem to think it matters they are young. They brag, have to tell everyone their age to impress and maybe even lie to impress at times. These are the people who will grow to be the ones who promise more than they can give, never break into the desireable markets and probabyl never be "real professionals"

Secondly, the young professionals
    The people who see their age as a benefit and a hindrence. The former because they can work harder, longer and with mroe energy. The latter becasue they may not have the experience, knowledge and education. These are guys who will give the veterans a run for their money and, as Chris said, set the new standards for this industry.

So, all the young guys, which do you wanna be?

I decided a long time ago which I wanted to be, consequently, I have more passion, energy and focuss in this business. I',m all the better for it.
    Johnny Palmer
    +44 (1425) 483 277

Now don't get me wrong on this I know what it is to work hard save your money and buy something you really want or need.

I left school at a very early age and went to work full time, By the time I was 15 years old I owned a 1972 Sportster. By 16 I had a truck to go along with it (granted they were both used but they were mine bought with money I had made and saved.

I know that it is possible for a 14 to 18 year old to be mature to a point and there are some examples of them out here, but I am willing to bet it is a very limited number.

But here we have the Sharpy's, the DJ15's, The slamminsubs ect. ect. ect. That come in here and try to feed this huge line of bull and it makes it very hard to swallow the rest of the stories that come out of the mouths of babes.

I know that we have some working teen DJ's here and probably a good number of them are and do come across Profesional (Kudo's to Johnny because he is one of those)

I have seen post bragging about the amount of equipment and lights used and then check out a website belonging to the individual and see less than 1/4 to almost none of what they say they were using. I see these huge numbers of gigs that these teen DJ's say they do but on the websites they even list B-day and house parties and you can't come up with 20 gigs. It leaves me wondering what is the point. And I am not saying that all teens do this heck even 40 year olds may do it as well (but it is easier to swallow when someone has been out of diapers for more than 15 years)

I use small systems I use large systems and I know what the difference is. I don't own or use a lot of lights but I do have a few and I do know the amount of money I have tied up in them as well. Here we have 15 year olds claiming to own lights that if you were to add up the cost on all of them it would come out to be 20,000 or more worth of lights.

I struggle to keep up with the business that I run and I am doing Bars Clubs and private functions 5 to 7 nights a week at times. I don't have a second job, or school to keep up with and sometimes I run tight on cash flow. How can a teen DJ still in school full time keep up with a business such as this maintain equipment and still make the purchases that they say they are.

Johnny once again you are not in this catagory as I have never seen you post that you have some huge sound system and a barn full of lights. As a matter of fact you just posted that you are only running 3,000 watts on your system which I take to be an honest answer and means that you are not over spending on equipment. I have never seen you make a post that even caused me to hicup much less scream BULL. But there have been many others that have.

As far as talent the High School kid I had working for me last year could kick my arse on the mixer, but he didn't think he knew it all and was constantly reading up on equipment going through my manuals and notes and hooking up and reconfiguring my equipment (although he never failed to put it back like he found it) Man what I wouldn't give to have him back for just one more summer. And I know that there are others out there that have the ability and the will to learn (but they are the ones that really want to learn and don't or won't try to show you they are better than any others) But alas again they are few and far between.

Actually I got that wrong too My first bike was a 69" Sporty second one was a 72"

I like you're point Steve but I also think the teens can do a good job of policing themselves. Peer pressure guys. When you smell a rat, call them out. You teens have a good idea who's blowing smoke and who's on the up and up. "Take them behind the Teen Shed" and give them hell!
    Ed and Dottie Ottman
    All Occasions DJ's
    www.mydjs.com

The only person I need to impress is my wife. Impress the wife and I stay married.

Young DJs only have themselves to impress. I'd be really interested to see how many are turning a decent profit at the end of the year.

Many young DJs have the added benifits of living at home, low % loans from BANQUE DU PAPA, and virtually no bills or debt.

I'm sure if they had a mortgage, car payments, insurance, medical, dental plans, RIF's, RRSPs, RESPs,shop overhead, advertising, workers compensation, federal income tax deductions, pension plan payments......you get the jist. The biggest system in the world won't keep you afloat. Steve, just be patient, there'll be a truck load of gear available soon at 5cents on the dollar!!!!

I read most of the posts on this thread. It started a great urge pulsing through my fingertips to slap the keys of the keyboard. Maybe what I am about to write will help you understand how a fifteen year old thatís now eighteen becomes well established. Something I have done that may take years to accomplish.

I have no idea where to begin! I'm eighteen born February 6th 1983. I grew up with music and around computers most of my life. Some how my best friend assisted for a DJ company that eventually led me to work for the same people. I worked and found out that I really hit the jackpot. I was having fun and time was flying! Everything was so interesting to me. I saved my money. At that time a gig (assisted) was 25$-50$. Pretty much I was getting ripped off. It didnít matter and I for the most part didnít know what DJs could really make. Hey I was just exploring.

After about 1.5 years assisting I had enough! Finally enough experience to know the basics of the DJ industry. I only needed the gear next. It was time. I realized the only way to start getting better was to buy some equipment. My definition of being better at that point of time was being an assistant who could mix properly. It was a competition. The best assistant got most of the work and bragged. You had to know your music. You had to know how to mix. It was not implied that it was necessary, however in the 'group' of assistants it in became law. I needed to learn I felt left out.

So what did I buy? Mackie SRM 450 speakers. I think I was 15 or 16 at the time. SRM450's were not released to the public yet. No store had them. The ones I received were originally made for promoting (show and tell) before the industry got their hands on it. Yeah so I could be lying, no I just got very lucky and knew a Makie person (not a rep, but better connection) that was friends with my family. We had him over for diner and well to make a longer story short bam! $1300 for polls bags and speakers! Did I mention an UNBEATABLE price too! No I had no help from my parents.. You must be kidding! Most of the money was for a part-time job at CompUSA.

At the same time my best friend bought a Gemini dual deck, mixer, and a used rack. Denon did not come out with the 1800s yet, and the Gemini was the most common around. Together we had a full setup. I was over his house everyday practicing together. A few months later I myself got the rest of my equipment I needed (2600 & BPM500). We pretty much thought we could go on our own by then. We had one more item to take care off. A CD library! Well no problem, we borrowed what we needed. Made a few CDs, bought a couple, and were off.

Our first gig in September 1999 for a high school, it went over awesome! So good we booked their junior prom. Then it happened. One then two, three, four parties a month for two 16 year olds kids. Honestly I donít understand where they came from. I was to busy in everything else to think about it. We earned our money we invested before prom season. Invested in some analog lights and what would you know its time for the first prom.
    http://www.djgateway.com/v3/index.ph...jpg&img=18&tt=
    http://www.djgateway.com/v3/index.ph...1th_Grade_Prom
    It was for the school that started it all and what was soon to give us more. We arrived, setup up, and found out another junior prom was right next store to us. Ok kinda cool! We didnít expect anything too much to happen. Well thatís what we thought and expected. Not even two hours into the dance we had to stop the music. We had to announce no music could be played until everyone who should not be there left. After about two hundred people left, I realized we had over 75% of the other prom in our room dancing. Dancing to our music! That night was an awesome night we had the Beverlyís junior student council called us the Next Day! We booked their Halloween dance and prom over the phone for the next year.

Not surprisingly I went to find out why everyone left the other prom into ours. A middle-aged man who had awesome audio equipment top of the line at the time, Uri, 2500.. He must know what heís doing I said to myself. I hear the mix setting in. A cut slide & dry time mixing. Then I look up, and stare at the 4 par lights he had. Dropped my head in sadness and left. I didnít stay for longer then a few seconds but understood the difference. (This Dj is actually a member of djzone.. no names)

Iím embarrassed DJs donít love what they do.
    Some have so many bookings not care
    Some just donít apply there potential.
    Some stop and say Iím not getting paid enough to have fun.
    Some lost their talent over the years.
    Some never understood music concepts and dance floor theories.
    Some are in it part-time
    Some take it as a Ďbusinessí supposed to Ďentertainmentí
    There are just so many more. Most will never admit or realize the above. Those will never know the difference whatever type of Dj you are. The instance above is just a story relate it in any way you see fit. Its only one instance of the many I have seen, which embarrasses my profession.
    Why have I succeeded? What is the difference between us? I always try to raise the bar. Iím fresh, new, and out of the box wild. I introduce the new innovations. I play with music, dance with music, and more importantly love music. I give them a show, perform, and entertain. I go out of my way not to get paid but to have fun. A prom cannot afford a decent light show? No problem, Iíll throw in a better one. I can truly say I have invested into this industry. I have some serious experience and equipment. My company is becoming a well-known name. Currently 3-4 parties a week and hopefully breaking the 250 mark for the year (December)
    How do I get this time to work at school and the company? I donít know. To make this subject more odd then it is, I was taking college night courses while I was in high school. Business Administration all the way! Iím a year ahead of my other classmates with a 3.53 GPA. Do I sleep.. no.. never.
    I could write more I just am time restricted to other priorities. Make of this what you wish I thought I had some spare chance that belonged to this thread.

Oh and as for other that have the sharpy syndrom. Leave it be let them learn the harder way.

Originally posted by City Pro Dj
    Young DJs only have themselves to impress. I'd be really interested to see how many are turning a decent profit at the end of the year.
    I sometimes feel the need to impress other djs to get them thinking how and why someone my age is doing better. As far as turning a profit. It is better then what many other my age and older could ever do.
    Originally posted by City Pro Dj

Many young DJs have the added benifits of living at home, low % loans from BANQUE DU PAPA, and virtually no bills or debt.

I'm sure if they had a mortgage, car payments, insurance, medical, dental plans, RIF's, RRSPs, RESPs,shop overhead, advertising, workers compensation, federal income tax deductions, pension plan payments......you get the jist. The biggest system in the world won't keep you afloat. Steve, just be patient, there'll be a truck load of gear available soon at 5cents on the dollar!!!!
    Hmm yeah I wish my dad were made of money. Parents divorced my dad got ****ed over in court twice and lost his life savings twice in two separate custody battles. One for me that he won and one for my stepsisters that lost. He'll be working harder then I ever will know. He canít retire (heís 67 I think). Because I make more then $8000 a year I'm not considered a student even though I go full time 5 courses. This also means I do not qualify for health insurance under my dad. I own a company more or less takes every tax issue into my account. I own a partnership; most of our liabilities of a company are somewhat different. Car payments? Yeah got those. In fact just bought a 98-ford winstar. 5200, 2500+ to fix it up.(awesome condition worth 12,000) Anyhow.. No I did not take any loans, paid in cash. I will admit I donít have a mortgage, however by next fall I'll have to rent an apartment or dorm and pay my way.

-I may be one of those percenters, but I still hate it when people comment on things they donít have any relation to or can even grasp at. I do understand City Proís thoughts maybe true in most cases, just not mine in anyway.

I canít wait will the truck comes by my block.

If any teenager says he became a DJ 100% on his own is full of sh*t. Its the truth. The Way i got my equipment was i kept straight As for 2 years, and then my dad gave me a 5000$ loan. This is when I just turned 13. My 15th Birthday is March, and I almost paid him all back. Only a couple hundred dollars to go. But I worked HARD to earn that equipment and to pay my father back. I am extremely thankful that he has the available funds to support me like that, but then again, I made him over 50,000 dollars in stocks, so in a way he owns me! (my activision stock just split 3-2, I love those guys) I don't charge much, and i think compared to most of your systems, mine is 2 compact cd players and a home stereo system. But I am proud of my system, and I am even more proud of how hard I worked to earn it, how hard I worked to pay my dad back, and how hard I have worked to earn a good reputation. (Without charging 5000 for a new years pary. Oh wait, what's his name never was a DJ!) So If a teen says something that smells like crap, chances are, it is. But there are the exceptions, and many of us chill at DJchat. com.

14 and Proud, Andrew
    Andrew Kantor
    Owner, Break of Dawn Entertainment
    Almost a legal adult. Always a kid at heart.

www.Bodent.com

I may be wrong but andrew seems to me a bit questionable. I dont care but i know some people are gona attack what he wrote.

I hella wish I could get a loan for $5000 and even know what to do with it at 13. $50,000 in stock.. Very questionable, this is a wate of time for me to be commenting on him.

-however i will not take sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast