Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas on how to give away prizes for Xmas party

Post Thanks / Like

Need Ideas on how to give away prizes for Xmas party

Just booked a company "winterfest party" (they leave the whole Xmas party theme out for religious reasons)

I was recommended by the venue (country club) that they are having it at.

And they want a party that peeps won't leave early after dinner and all the prizes are given out....as they have had in the past, with past DJs

I suggested spacing out the prizes throughout the night, and letting them know there will be a grand prize (a really great gift) drawn 1/2 hour before the end of the night, and they have to be present to win.

But they don't want to JUST pull names out of a hat for the prizes. They want some fun ideas on how to do that.

I suggested that they could pull two names out of a hat, and when they think they have won, say "sorry, it's not going to be that easy, you have to name this tune to actually claim your prize"

they liked that idea.

there are many other ideas, like the whole "check under your chair for a colored dot and you are the winner" thing.

Taping an envelope with a gift card for a restaurant, under a chair (or even one chair at each table), and telling everyone to check their chair.

hoola hoop / limbo / etc....contests would be another idea, but it's been done before. We're dealing with mostly peeps in their 40s and 50s, so it can't be TOO physically demanding, etc.

So, I would like to hear some other ideas on how to give away the prizes, beyond the simple "pull the name out of the hat" approach

thanks!
    Brian Harris
    All Music By Design
    Dayton OHIO
    http://www.allmusicbydesign.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, something that I've done with GREAT success is this...don't know the name for it but you'll get the idea.

Give away prizes by asking people to bring up something you're looking for. The list of items can be similar to the scavenger hunt/musical chairs type of list but more specific and personal.

I usually do something like:

Let's give away a Black and Decker coffeemaker! (crowd cheers) I will give this fantastic coffee maker away to the first employee (important if the gifts just go to employees) that comes up to the dj booth with a picture of their pet in their wallet!

Be creative with what items you want from them. Are there raffle tickets being given away? This game works great for that. Everytime someone brings up the item in question you can give them an extra raffle ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a mystery prize

Have the sponsor purchase a big mystery gift and wrap it and have them purchase a large gag gift and wrap it. During the party do the normal door prize drawing and explain if they want an opportunity to win a large prize later don't open what they won. Have each individual keep the door prize ticket and individuals without opening the gift who want to take a chance can place the used door-price ticket into another basket. Prior the next drawing let them know they hava an opportunity to win either a great prize or a gag gift. You will need two 8ft tables end-to-end and you will draw twenty names, they will take a place around the table with the door prize the won in front of them. Then each individual takes a turns rolling two dice and if you get 7 or 11 you pick one of the surprize packages and swap. As each individual rolls a 7 or 11 the can swap gifts with any individual they want and the next person rolls the dice. Keep it moving fast and it will be fun after everyone has time to roll the dice two or three times tell them you are going to set a timer and when the music stops its over. I give them ten minutes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djdawg
    .....with a picture of their pet in their wallet.
    I use the family pet picture a lot to get contestants for my Wedding Wheel, and it always goes over well. Two things:

I have found that most people have pictures on their cell phones. If they are not acceptable (you specifically said 'in their wallet') make sure to make that point very clear at the beginning.

I always put in a disclaimer that children and spouses do not count. lol
    "Your equipment looks too loud"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hrmm...so your tellin them that people are going to stay becasue of the prizes not entertianment? Aren't you shooting yourself in the food on that one?

1. Are you interactive? I did a party last year that the staff complained that everyone always left early after dinner...got interactive on their As$s this year and everyone stayed past ending time..went great...and had a few giveaways..but we incorporated them INTO the games and interactive..instead of a dumb raffel all night...

As long as YOU are having fun they will....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Hrmm...so your tellin them that people are going to stay becasue of the prizes not entertianment? Aren't you shooting yourself in the food on that one?

1. Are you interactive?
    As long as YOU are having fun they will....
    Yes, I'm interactive and have no problem doing games with them.
    What they want from me is different and unique ideas on how to give the prizes away, OTHER THAN just pulling their name/ticket out of a basket...because that's to easy. They want to make it fun and challenging.

They will stay for the entertainment, music and games (although they said there will still be some that will leave regardless - let's hope I can change that!)
    Brian Harris
    All Music By Design
    Dayton OHIO

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a list of games I am promoting (as a sales pitch) for this years holiday parties

1. My boss the Christmas Tree contest
    2. Frostie The Snowman contest
    3. Stuffing Santa (balloon game)
    4. 7 days of Christmas (A spin of from Scott Favors numbers game on his DVD)
    5. Sing for your supper / Holiday carols
    6. Stuffing the stocking - Pick a theme and have them find items for the stocking in a time period
    7. Holiday theme Musical chairs / Scavenger hunt
    8. Holiday Trivia table contest
    9. Pass the dollar bill centerpiece giveaways

Each of these games can be adjusted for prize giveaways or department teams and a grand prize going to the winner of one person in the department whose team had the most points (won the most contests) at the end of the night.

Hope this helps

Mixmaster
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"
    Mixmaster Professional DJ Services
    http://www.themixmaster.net
    http://www.facebook.com/MixmasterDJService

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

What is the 7 days of Christmas game?
    Pat & Christine Caro

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say Spot Dance would be the best one.

If you are on a higher stage, get the organizers to place all of the prizes on a table infront of your set-up. Then announce that the next song is a spot dance. Most people wil get dancing and then stop the music after a little while, pick a spot in the room, and tell the person closest to that spot to come up and their prize. This usually goes down really good and people get up and dance so they can win a prize. So really, both you and the organizers wil be happy because the people will stay longer and more people will get up and dance.
    Alex D
    *DJ Eklip-z*
    Drop The Beat Productions
    Toronto, Ontario

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doublecdeejays
    Mike,

What is the 7 days of Christmas game?
    Have you seen Scott Favors DVD entitled "The Game Masters"?

Mixmaster
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"

Post Thanks / Like
    no I have not..I was just curious if it is similar to the 12 days of Christmas game that I play.
    Pat & Christine Caro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doublecdeejays
    no I have not..I was just curious if it is similar to the 12 days of Christmas game that I play.
    Let me try to explain. I have 2 groups. Each group gets a set of numbers (one sign for each number) The numbers are from 1-7 (The more involved the harder it gets so that is why I chose seven). Anyway to make a long story short, each person in the group gets a number, I then read off a scrambled number like 5634217. The object is to see which group can get in the proper order of the number I announced fastest. I do add alot of twists to the game like hiding numbers etc. But that is basically the game. I call it the 7 days of Christmas

I'll try to attach a pic to give you a better idea

Hope this helps

What is the 12 days of Christmas game you play?

Mixmaster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sid Vanderpool

editor@djzone.net
    DJchat/DJzone Administrator
    Publisher- DJzone Online Magazine
    Editor- DJzone Information Portal
    Writer- Pro Audio Review Magazine
    Proud Member of National Association of Mobile Entertainers
    DJchat- Real Networking for Real DJs
    The above is an opinion Copyright 2006-2013, Sid Vanderpool All rights reserved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sid

Many years ago I used to do a variation of that game. Totally forgot about it. (Must be getting old)

Anyway thanks

Mixmaster
    Mike Miller
    "The Mixmaster"

Post Thanks / Like
    BUMP.....anyone else?
    Brian Harris
    All Music By Design
    Dayton OHIO

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump.......again!
    Brian Harris
    All Music By Design
    Dayton OHIO

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

I always used "games" to give away prizes unless there were a whole bunch (in which case I claimed the major prizes for the games; rest were pulled from hat).

My most successful games have the "Soul Man" and "Right Said Fred". Audience determines the winners on these.

Got Mini Bikes? These work well as long as you don't have a deep carpeted venue. Otherwise the Big Trikes work great.

Hippy Hippy Shake is another one. You use a pedometer on each contestant - numbers don't lie. Practice the mounting of them - done incorrectly and the pedometers won't register anything. Get good ones; you can use them for many years.

There are a few others. Many request props on your part. I have a case with all the "props" that I ever need and keep it full. Stuff like Walla Ballas, wigs, YMCA stuff, blindfolds, etc. Then all you have to do is look at your list of games you know/do and see which one might fit the crowd better.

A long game, Survivor Music Chairs, is a combination of scavenger hunt and musical chairs. Can get pretty psyical though but is fun.

These are almost "musts" for corporate parties. There isn't usually much besides a couple of dry speechs to hold 'em there. 20%-25% are going to leave anyway after the food/talk. Most of the rest will hang around to see what you are doing but might be hard to get on the floor.

Almost all corporate events I have done have wanted some sort of "entertainment" included. It's a whole different DJ gig; one is which the "entertainer" is called upon. The best dance music will only keep a limited number of guests hanging around after a few hours of ****-chat and munch-munch.

Unplugged & Powered Down

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ron!
    Brian Harris
    All Music By Design
    Dayton OHIO

Post Thanks / Like
    It's my experience that an 'older' crowd responds better to trivia type games as opposed to physical ones. Name That Tune is obvious as well as What Year Did This Song Come Out but my personal favorite is TV theme song trivia, followed closely by One Hit Wonders.

Post Thanks / Like

For Brian's sake, define "older."

If a group is all "older," it probably isn't a corporate crowd. I find they range from 20 to 65. The activity is generally the younger ones (pre-50) with the "older" ones watching and, best of all, laughing.

I never used trivia type games "out loud." I have used the written type (a whole bunch of questions - first 100% correct handed in to the booth wins). I don't know, I just never liked them. I never like playing Trival Pursuit either. But if I ever had to, I have a CD with a "Name That Tune" compilation on it; that way I could include songs from the 40s to today.

Unplugged & Powered Down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast