Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many slow songs do you play???

Post Thanks / Like

How many slow songs do you play???

So, I just received a satisfaction survey back from one of the weddings I did a few weeks ago. I got excellent reviews all around as I suspected I would. The dance floor was packed from beginning to end with never fewer than 20 dancers. It was a big wedding with about 240 guests. On the "How can we improve question" she responded that we didn't play enough slow songs : (
    I can recall three I played plus two songs for the anniversary dance and another for the last dance.

How many slow songs is enough?

2. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many are enough? However many that's necessary to keep the crowd happy. I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy, but it really depends. If the crowd is older, and the dance floor isn't hopping, you may play a two-song slow set a little more often. Other crowds may only need a couple slow songs all night. But as far as your specific wedding, keep in mind even the bride is only one person, or more accurately one person's opinion. If overall the crowd was happy, you probably did just fine.

4. Thanks DJ Wes, stewsdjrescue, DjDennis, cammy85, sweetsoundsdj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two in a row, most sets.

6. Thanks sweetsoundsdj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only play one at a time and about 3 or 4 not counting (first dance ect..)or the last dance.

8. Thanks cammy85, sweetsoundsdj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah two in a row, most of the time I play slow songs when switching genres or just to give myself a break or during "DJ Block."

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the crowd is something we as professionals learn. At weddings you will have people of all ages, that means that slow music old and some new are a must at receptions. If you plan on doing alot of weddings in the future, slow songs are a must, BUT you have to learn when to play them. I usually play maybe 3 or 4 songs towards the end of the event

Post Thanks / Like
    As a guide, I try to play at least one slow song every 20-30 minutes. Again, it depends on the crowd, but you definitely want to use it to reset your tempos and give the crowd a breather. Too many fast songs will start getting people tired. You are not in the nightclub business as a mobile, so you need to mix it up. Sometimes I do one song, sometimes two together. I always announce when the last slow dance is so people can have one last chance.

12. Thanks Daddyflex, Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think two slow songs an hour is plenty, every twenty minutes seems a bit too much especially at a event when your dance floor is full of energy

14. Thanks cammy85, Daddyflex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would say 2 - 3 per hour, with more at the start of the reception and towards the end, fewer in the middle.

-Ron
    Ron J. Montgomery
    Atomic Sound Entertainment
    Orlando/Tampa Florida
    www.orlandopartyhits.com

16. Thanks Dan McKay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually open with a slow song. It gets the older people involved right away. I'll scatter 3-4 additional slow ones throughout the evening. Sometimes i'll use them right before the next course is due to come out. That kind of puts an exclamation point on the set.

Post Thanks / Like
    It used to be the norm about 5 to 10 years back to play another couple of slow songs to follow the 1st wedding dance song. Now it seems i nearly always have to choose a quicker tempo for the second song or one gets dirty looks from some of the younger ones ..Wonder whatever happened to our romantic side of life?..
    Even many of the wedding couples choose something quite eclectic for their first dance,often not even a ballad ..Last week 1st dance chosen by the couple was "Electric Feel "by MGMT..Electronica type music.

Post Thanks / Like
    SweetSounds, how many slow songs I play depends on:

1) How many hours is the event?

2) What songs tend to motivate the guests?

3) Guestimating the ages of the guests?

4) Are the majority of the guests: 1) fast dancing partiers, and 2) cuddley romantic.

For weddings, I play slow song set (usually 2 songs, no more than 5 minutes total) about everyone 30 - 40 minutes (again, depending on the guest response)
    Should there be not many couples responding to 1st slow song, then I only play 1 song.

For college parties, depends on the amount of guests.
    Last nights U. of Florida had 220 guests on a boat cruise. I tried to remember to play 1 slow song after every 40 minutes of fast songs.

If your wedding was 4 hour in length, then I would agree with the bride; you did not play enough slow songs.
    But, now you are aware, and by knowing this, this will only improve your future shows.

I would like to respectfully add, unless requested, give thought to not ending your show with a slow song. You want for your guests to "want more" after your show ends.
    However, that too can also depend on the guests as well.

At my weddings, depending on the crowd, I mostly play "Last Dance".
    This gives the guests, a "slow" dance + a "fast" dance ... and mostly everyone will know the song ... + the song ends with sort of a "Bang" at the end ... while at the same time, the guests now know that it is the end of the reception.

Good luck!
    Curt
    CurtinClwFL

20. Thanks DJ Piddipat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can depend on the crowd. Groups with "older" guests like to slow dance more than "younger" crowds. Sometimes when you get later into the night and the group is really dancing the number of slow songs dwindle to almost none.

I typically play music in sets. 70's, 80's country, hip-hop etc etc.... I use slow songs as a transition from set or group to set or group. Example. I am playing a set of county songs. I will play three or four fast dancing tunes then end the set with a country slow song. If the next set is an 80's set I will go from the slow country into a slow 80's song. Then pick it up and do a set of fast 80's songs. Then repeat the system.

This doesn't always work when you have guest who want to fast dance more then slow dance. You should be able to read the crowd to know this. If the the dance floor is filled with mainly females and when you play a slow song only a couple or two dance, then you may want to limit the slow songs to almost none. The same goes if you hear a "moan" when a slow song comes on. That says that the dancers want to keep it going and have some real fun.

Sometimes you can only push a group with fast songs to a point. You will be able to see this when they are all hot, sweaty and begin to empty the floor. Then it is time to slow it down and let them catch their breath.

22. Thanks cammy85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The customer is always right, and am going to try to play more slow songs from here on. However, She was extremely happy with her reception, We got tons of compliments from parents, family and friends as we were loading up, a $100 tip and as I said before the dance floor was packed from beginning to end. That's why I was surprised by the survey. They were a young couple, recent college grads and the crowd was full of their old college teammates and frat bros and sorority sisters.

All in all it was a great gig, but the survey does ask how our service can be improved and she gave a honest answer. It wasn't a complaint but a answer to a question we ask everyone to get better.

24. Thanks Paul Malacara thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it depends on the crowd. I did my first school dance, so attendance was low, but only 2 people danced to a slow song when I played it. I didn't play any more of those for the rest of the night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsoundsdj View Post
    The customer is always right, and am going to try to play more slow songs from here on. However, She was extremely happy with her reception, We got tons of compliments from parents, family and friends as we were loading up, a $100 tip and as I said before the dance floor was packed from beginning to end. That's why I was surprised by the survey. They were a young couple, recent college grads and the crowd was full of their old college teammates and frat bros and sorority sisters.

All in all it was a great gig, but the survey does ask how our service can be improved and she gave a honest answer. It wasn't a complaint but a answer to a question we ask everyone to get better.
    Was there a request for a certain slow song that you didn't play ? If thats the case then I understand why they mentioned after it was all over, but if the bride just randomly asked then I wouldn't really matter to me. Slow songs are should be included at most receptions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basicly think on what job your doing

6xhrs = howmany songs can be played in that time

whats the average size song ? 4meg i mean 4mins
    so how many can be played in 1hr ?

sit down and work it out

best way is write down EVERY song you play at the event
    so you know whats played all the time

simple
    DjDennis Clark
    (In this crazy business for 35+ years)
    MySpace: http://myspace.trebleclefdj.com.au
    Facebook: http://facebook.trebleclefdj.com.au

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsoundsdj View Post
    I'm glad you realized that. You obviously did an excellent job and the bride probably wracked her brain trying to think of ANYTHING that may have altered the outcome better. I would take it more as a compliment and not an insult.

For the record, I try to play two slow back-to-back songs every 45 minutes at a wedding reception. It's the most romantic day of the bride and groom's life and I personally feel they should have plenty of opportunities to slow dance while surrounded by family and friends.

29. Thanks sweetsoundsdj, cammy85 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious who else sends their clients surveys after the gig

Post Thanks / Like
    At a wedding (not including special dances) I play a slow dance song ever 4 to 5 fast dance songs. If the slow song is really on the short side i will play another short one along with it. I classify this as part of my "something for everyone rule".
    Sincerely, Bobby Deese
    Bobby Deese Entertainment
    WWW.DJbobbydeese.com
    "More Than Just Music"

This post, opinion and viewpoint may be copyrighted information.
    Do not copy or otherwise use this information or exchange it with
    others without the expressed written consent of the author.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast