Thread: Blown Yamaha SRM 400. Parts??

Post Thanks / Like

Blown Yamaha SRM 400. Parts??

Hey there. I have to get a new speaker for my Yamaha speaker and I am turning to this incredible wealth of knowledge for assistance once again.
    Here's the deal: I played on a float in a parade this weekend and blew one of the 12" woofers in my Yamaha MSR 400. I was running off a large generator and my Monster sound conditioner showed that the power supply was good but somehow I blew one of my Yammies. I know the speakers is blown because (besides the fact it doesn't work) when I push of the front of the woofer to make it compress, there is an abrasive noise like sand in the cone. It is way past warranty and I would like to fix this quickly by replacing the speaker while I wait to have the other repaired somewhere so I figured I'd buy a good replacement so I have a back up for the future.
    I took the speaker out and there is a part number on the frame that says XZ072A0 but an in-depth internet search does not produce a match. When I search for replacement parts for the model all I can find are dealer sites selling the whole speaker cabinets but no replacement parts.
    Can anyone assist me by suggesting a quality replacement for the 12" speaker that comes in the SRM 400? As always, I appreciate your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask Yamaha. How the heck are we supposed to know??? This is a DJ Board.

Yamaha doesn't manufacture their own woofers, it is most likely a Emminence or something.

3. Thanks Chris D thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a DJ board? Really. It sounds like a PMS convention with your response.
    I guess I assumed that, since many DJs here own Yamaha self-powered speakers, perhaps one of them has had to replace their woofer. I have seen, and responded to, several posts over the years regarding pieces of DJ equipment that have needed repairs. Normally most memebers here will offer constructive and helpful advice to others when another DJ has a question about a certain type of equipment or a particular problem they may be having with their system.
    Forgive me for thinking that a DJ chat board would be a good place for a fellow DJ to ask for advice on repairing a DJ speaker so I could fix that DJ speaker and continue to use it on the DJ jobs I have coming up soon. I guess I will look to another board to have questions answerd about these non-DJ issues. Sorry to bother you.

For the record, turns out it was an Eminence so you were actually able to offer a kernel of good advice wrapped in your snide comment. I had the speaker re-coned instead of buying a new one and the speaker is back in action and helping me do what I have been doing for 21 years... DJing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I owned a pair of the predecessor to the MSR 400...The MS 400......A woofer blew in one of them also....I bought the speakers for a steal when they were being discontinued.....The weight at 53 pounds was a little heavy for lifting on to stands so I just gave them to a friend and bought a pair of 40 pound Mackie SRM 450 V2's....This does seem to be an occasional issue with Yamaha Powered Speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you have gear issues, go straight to the manufacturer, Yamaha is a huge company with decent customer service. They know exact part numbers. They have authorized service providers, better equipped to handle these questions.

Glad to see your speaks are up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you bought those speakers at a local pro audio store maybe you can replace them.

Hate to mention that I've never been a big fan of speakers under 15in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try contacting:

Harvey Casey
    National Service Manager
    Operation Division
    Yamaha Corporation of America
    714-522-9462
    fax 714-522-9501
    mailto:hcasey@yamaha.com
    Mark C. Hudy
    www.musicbymark.com

9. Thanks Chris D thanked for this post